News: The Coronavirus Outbreak Puts UEFA Euro 2020 At Risk

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by mixpix442, Mar 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mixpix442

mixpix442 New Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Jan 25, 2020
    [​IMG]
    UEFA Euro 2020: A joyful event to unify the world
    UEFA Euro 2020 represents the 60th anniversary of the competition. In order to celebrate this milestone, UEFA has decided to hold the football matches of the tournament in several cities across Europe, and thus engage the continent.

This commitment is mainly made to unite the people with different nationalities, histories and cultures. Furthermore, UEFA Euro 2020 provides a great opportunity for many cities and countries to improve their economic situation. As Gianni Infantino stated: “Instead of having a party in one country, we will have a party all over Europe in the summer of 2020… An opportunity like this, to give many cities and many countries the possibility to host even just one part of a Euro, is certainly an excellent thing; especially in times when you have an economic situation where you cannot expect countries to invest in facilities in the way that such an event requires.”

Accordingly, UEFA is attempting to bring the competition closer to the fans and use football as an unifying effort. 12 cities would host UEFA Euro 2020 from 12 June to 12 July and bring forth a great time for the fans to learn about a variety of arts, histories and cultures. Focusing on the fans, UEFA offers digital services that involve free public transport in most of the host cities on match days.

It would be interesting to know that even “Uniforia”, the official match ball of UEFA Euro 2020 made by Adidas, represents the diversity of the football fans who will cross the boundaries and borders to join together.

[​IMG]
    It appears that UEFA’s endeavors has paid off and the world is embracing Euro 2020 with passion. At the moment, UEFA Euro 2020 has received a record number of 28.3 million ticket requests while the overall available tickets of the competition are 2.5 million. Indeed, football has shown its’ exceptional power to unify the world one more time.

Coronavirus outbreak: A tragic event to keep the humans apart
    [​IMG]
    Reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019, coronavirus (COVID-19) started spreading throughout the world rapidly. The virus can lead to severe respiratory diseases and may involve symptoms such as fever, cough, or difficulties in breathing. It should be noted that the symptoms of the new coronavirus may appear several days after exposure. One of the main problems with COVID-19 is how the virus spreads from one person to another. This type of Coronavirus can spread from person-to-person by having a close contact with an infected person or inhaling his/her respiratory droplets when he/she coughs or sneezes. It also can spread through contact with infected objects and surfaces. At the moment, more than 90,000 cases are known to be infected around the world. Despite the attempts to contain the spread of the virus, many countries are now affected by the disease.

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately, it comes as no surprise to know that sports, including football, have not remained intact. First of all, it seems that China might have to endure a chaotic period through which Chinese Super League clubs, who have signed illustrious foreign players in recent years, will fail to do well in the transfer market. Moreover, China, Japan, and South Korea have kept the domestic league games on hold. Many countries are trying to continue the league fixtures; nonetheless, the coronavirus outbreak is closing many stadiums and forcing numerous football matches to be postponed or played without any spectators.

The most notable league that is severely affected is Serie A. Outside of Asia, coronavirus has infected Italy the most. Reports suggest there are more than 2000 cases and 52 deaths in the country so far. This dire situation has led five football matches in Serie A to be played in empty stadiums. Among these matches is the clash between Juventus and Inter Milan; the Italian giants who are very close to each other in the race for the league title this season. Coronavirus also messed with Europa League as Inter Milan was forced to meet Ludogorets behind closed doors at San Siro Stadium as well. Another sad news involved UEFA Champions League where a Valencia fan who tested positive for the new coronavirus after attending the club’s match against Atalanta in Italy. It seems clear that a variety of major sporting events are at risk because of the worldwide outbreak of coronavirus.

UEFA Euro 2020 vs Coronavirus

[​IMG]
    UEFA Euro 2020 kicks off in Rome on 12 June with the opening ceremony and the first match of the tournament taking place in Stadio Olympico. Italy, with the most coronavirus cases in Europe, is one of the 12 hosts for UEFA Euro 2020 and is planned to host three matches in group A and one quarter-final. Meanwhile, as coronavirus fears moment, all of the football fans are becoming uncertain about the execution of the tournament and wonder if it is better for UEFA to decide to cancel it. Many fans, not denying the importance of football, believe that people’s health should be a priority. Of course, there are still a few months until UEFA Euro 2020 begins and we all have to wait and see what will happen in the future. In an interview with Rai Radio 1 Sport, Michele Uva, an Italian member of the UEFA executive committee, said: “We are at the waiting stage. We are monitoring country by country, and football must follow the orders of the individual countries. The sporting path will only be closed if the situation gets worse”.

What seemed to be a joyful party across Europe, now seems to have become a serious disadvantage. Professor Christopher Dye, an epidemiologist at the University of Oxford who has the experience of working with the IOC in response to the outbreak of Zika virus before the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, believes that “It is a disadvantage that the Euros are to be held on a number of different sites. The idea of controlling spread close to venues would essentially be an impossibility. The risk assessment that will be taken when we reach June is how widely spread the virus has become, how many contracted it, how many are getting seriously ill and how many infected in congregant settings like football stadiums. What is happening in Italy at the moment will be one factor that will be taken into account. But when it comes to April and May, what happened in Italy in February will look like the relatively distant past.”

On the whole, according to Daily Telegraph, a UEFA spokesperson has stated: “Euro 2020 will kick off on 12 June 2020 in Rome. UEFA is in touch with the relevant international and local authorities regarding the coronavirus and its’ development. For the moment there is no need to change anything in the planned timetable. The issue will be kept under constant scrutiny.”

Indeed, there is still a long way to UEFA Euro 2020. The football fans needs to be cautious about the new coronavirus disease, and meanwhile, tolerate the ambiguity regarding the summer tournament. Hopefully, the world will be better prepared to face the novel coronavirus in the months to come.

Is football able to bring the world together in Summer 2020? Or will coronavirus be successful in keeping humans apart?

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The absolute worst year to have a tournament throughout Europe. Probably increases the chances of the tournament being postponed by a factor of 10.

3. sapporo

sapporo Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Your exactly right. If it was in one country it would be manageable, but having 10's of thousands of people travelling around Europe daily after being in a stadium of 50'000 + people seems like a recipe for trouble. I find it hard to believe that if the virus hasn't been contained by June that the tournament will proceed as planned.

4. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were to postpone it, when would it be?

5. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I don't think they should do anything before May, so long as they manage to sort out the play offs. From the record of past scares there's a fair chance it will have diminished significantly as a risk by then.

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

7. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Uefa is confident Euro 2020 will go ahead as planned.

European football’s governing body has dismissed reports it has received requests from national associations to postpone Euro 2020 because of the coronavirus.
    A report in the Italian outlet Tuttosport claimed several nations had approached Uefa to call for the European Championship finals to be played in summer 2021.
    The story was followed up by various news organisations amid growing concern about the spread of the coronavirus.

However, a Uefa spokesman told The Scotsman there was no substance to the reports.
    “We did not receive a single request from national associations to postpone the tournament,” he said.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...stpone-tournament-several-federations-2446060

8. noar1985

noar1985 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    OGC Nice
  9. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    It is bit early to tell it, but it is unlikely that it will happen this year, maybe next year or not at all. I am not even sure they will be able to play out current competitions

10. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I honestly hope that UEFA just forgets about coronavirus and proceeds with Euro 2020 and all the tournaments. Coronavirus is way overhyped and it shouldn't be disrupting our plans especially big events like Euro 2020. If I was the president of UEFA I would not even consider any disruptions and would just go on with the tournament forgetting about the coronavirus.

Common coronavirus only has a 3% death rate.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Coronaviruses are the ones that cause the common cold.

Which means they are much more contagious than even the flu.

Which means if the flu infects 20% of humanity, coronavirus infects close to 100%.

Which means with a 3.4% mortality rate, we're looking at over 200 million people dead worldwide.

Which means this could become the second worst pandemic in history, second only to the second plague pandemic ("Black Death").

12. keremistanbul

keremistanbul Member

Fenerbahçe
    Turkey
    Sep 6, 2015
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I see some people saying uefa should uphold the tournament as it is scheculed since they think we will be ok then. Let’s assume we are ok by may. What about postponed local leagues? The fixture will be very congested. It is going to be a mess. This is not a matter of june, but now. Everything should be postponed including cl and el finals. Do not be stupid.

13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Are you planning to attend matches?

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You live in Italy?

:eek:

15. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meeting on 3/17 to discuss all competitions.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, they don't need to play out the current domestic competitions for Euro 2020 to take place on schedule. But yeah... its not looking good for either atm.

Champions League has the best chance to survive IMO as you can theoretically complete it in about 10-11 days.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'll be surprised if in two weeks there are any pro sports being played anywhere.

Screenshot_2020-03-12.png

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Already kinda weird walking around New York City today. Noticeable difference compared to just 2 days ago. Just a lack of people around. By early next week, its gonna be downright spooky. Two-three weeks from now I expect even Times Square to be largely deserted.

The only thing the Euros has on its side is time. But not a tonne of it.

19. noar1985

noar1985 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    OGC Nice
    I still think (and hope) after 6-8 weeks situation will be better in Europe.

Just UEFA can’t keep this euro in 2020:
    - public image will be a disaster: show must go on everybody stop but we keep on going don’t give a guck about what government are doing at the moment.
    - the vibe was not crazy high before but now it is completely off, no one is excited about it anymore.

(it is just my opinion)

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I mean it all depends on the situation though. If sports leagues are mostly back up and running by late-April then nobody will have a problem with "the show" (Euro 2020) going ahead. As long as the Euros aren't going on when every other sports league is shut-down, then I don't think it will get bad PR.

Granted, even in this VERY optimistic scenario, the domestic leagues around Europe won't be able to complete their season before the Euros start. So then what gets priority -- The domestic leagues or Euro 2020? Maybe they can shorten the summer break since players are getting a break right now(?).

21. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    My contacts in Europe are telling me Uefa is seriously considering cancelling the tournament and awarding the trophy back to Portugal as they are reigning champions and nations league champions.

postponing until 2021 is not on the table
    Because of World Cup 2022( which is in December and will already screw up the calendar). More likely is we will have to wait until 2024 for the next EURO.

artielange84 repped this.
  22. noar1985

noar1985 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    OGC Nice
    your contacts ?
    Please be a bit more précise it is a big statement.
    I am in Amsterdam and I haven’t heard anything about cancellations but I don’t know anyone at the UEFA as well

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is that anything like FIFA "awarding the Jules Rimet trophy back to Italy" when WW2 broke out since they were reigning World Cup and Olympic champions? :rolleyes:

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Trust me, I can say with 100% certainty there are no contacts. He is to the Portuguese what Mean machine is to the Italians. Doesn't seem like a terrible person, but clearly living in a world outside our own.

Every Four Years, BocaFan and noar1985 repped this.
  25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland