The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    #976 ping, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Not a direct answer to your question, but the bottom link could provide some information that helps answer the question. I know Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, JMU, and many more have students in dorms on campus and are not playing fall sports. Probably too many to list.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenr...risk-as-colleges-look-to-reopen/#140e44f82db6

At least 614 colleges and universities are operating “primarily in person,” this fall, according to The College Crisis Initiative, a research initiative of Davidson College, along with an additional 75 schools that are fully in person.

https://collegecrisis.shinyapps.io/dashboard/
    Cool dashboard and visuals. Filter lets you view all the different D1 conferences so this should tell you what you are looking for.

HeadSpun and cpthomas repped this.
  2. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020
    #977 soccerfanalways, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Well that 10 game meaningless season would be a dream for a lot of soccer coaches who hate being tied to the restrictions of spring games. Driveable, limited number of games etc.

It also would play into the narrative that primarily men's coaches have been pushing for but there are some women's coaches who are advocating for a year round season with a break Nov-Feb. They'd spread the games out, play only one at max a week and allow for less missed classroom time.

They could actually play against opponents which they want to play and have the games be more than glorified scrimmages WITHOUT burning a year of player's eligibility.

I just saw a post from the NCAA recommending that if an athlete participates in less than 50% of the maximum allowed games for a season then they are extend their eligibility up to six years.

So, in theory last year's Stanford Womens Soccer played 25 games. So assuming that is the max. If said conferences across the board only play 12 games, can their schools allow them an additional year of eligibility?

With an all conference schedule this could happen especially for the conferences thinking about playing spring soccer.

Talk about a logistical nightmare for schools, coaches, new recruits etc trying to manage this. For many schools they will not be able to offer scholarships in addition to what they are currently doing (and my guess is that many schools in Division 1 which were fully funded at 14 scholarships will no longer be).

If we go back to "normal" in 2021, it's going to take a very long time to get our rosters back to normal with so many staying longer than planned and then having "extra players" for sure next fall.

Here's what was said about the spring athletes from the NCAA:

Division I Council extends eligibility for student-athletes impacted by COVID-19
    Schools can authorize an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility
    March 30, 2020 6:50pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick
    The Division I Council on Monday voted to allow schools to provide spring-sport student-athletes an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility.

Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

3. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    NCAA will have to come up with a solid number for not counting against a year.

Like mentioned above is that 50% of maximum games a team could play which would be around 25 games.

Is it 50% of regular season games. Is that number 18 or 20?

Or is it 50% of required games to be eligible for postseason which is only 11 games or the new requirement for this year was only 6 games required to be eligible for NCAA tournament.

4. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020

Here's the direct quote from the NCAA bylaws. They state above that if a participant plays in 50% OR less of the MAXIMUM allowed competitions allowed...

So I think the magic number of spring games would be 10 to allow the players to retain eligibility for fall of 2021 if they were to play spring of 2021.

But I'm not with compliance so I'm not 100% sure but that seems to be what the NCAA is saying from their notice and their bylaws.

(b) Women. An individual student-athlete may participate in each academic year in not more than 20 contests during the segment in which the NCAA championship is conducted and five dates of competition during another segment. This limitation includes those contests in which the student represents the institution in accordance with Bylaw 17.02.8, including competition as a member of the varsity, junior varsity or freshman team of the institution.

Wildcatter repped this.
  5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Just saw the video of NCAA president and he seemed to claim the fall women’s soccer championship would be played in the spring on a modified schedule. Wonder how many games they will let them play

ping repped this.
  6. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

smh - i understand that liberals don't care about facts - but people in academia should try a little:

1- yes he closed off travel to china; he closed off travel to Europe and the UK as well. did it work, maybe/ maybe not; but what we did learn was that the top democrats (Biden, Clinton, Pelosi) all denounced the move and called him racist for doing it. So - can we infer they wouldn't have shut down the borders to slow people moving?

2- he had governors wanting hospital capacity and ventilators? Did he meet their needs- yes.

3- we are a republic and like the federal government should do - he empowered the governors. to make decisions based on their situations.

4- he put together operation warp speed to develop vaccine, cut some unneeded regulations and worked on getting companies and medical professionals to develop therapeutics.

5- testing was slow to develop and sounds like you wanted him in the east wing under a microscope developing assays. Testing is vitally important, but having an accurate test is more important than having cheap/ fast tests. having even a 5% false negative/ false positive rate makes the tests statistically worthless.

6- The one place he erred was when he listed to his critics and implemented "15 days to flatten the curve." He SHOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THAT NATIONWIDE. it was needed in Washington and the NE. Doing it everywhere else caused people to 'not buy in.'

Most of you coaches know you need people to buy in to what you are doing for it to be successful.

Arizona, Texas, Florida opened large gathering places (like bars) too early. There is definitely blame there; they were also feeling the pressure from a group of citizens who were looking around at very few cases and wondering why the self-inflicted economic carnage had to continue. [they were way to early on the shelter in place]

NY/ NY - if you want to look at failure of leadership - look no further. just about everything done was a fail and resulted in mass deaths. could be criminal?

for all of you in that liberal echo-chamber: WHAT DID YOU WANT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO DO DIFFERENTLY - THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN EFFECTIVE AND ACCEPTED BY AMERICANS?????????

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The bylaws only allow 5 dates in the non-competition season. It seems that a 10 game threshold would be an exception to existing rules.

According to bylaws, the maximum number of regular season matches not including conference or NCAA tournaments is 20.

i assume that’s the number they are referencing

Wildcatter repped this.
  8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA's Mark Emmert: 'We cannot, at this point, have fall NCAA championships'

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/arti...-we-cannot-point-have-fall-ncaa-championships

"..."We cannot now, at this point, have fall NCAA championships, because there’s not enough schools participating," Emmert said..."
    "..Emmert said they're looking into shrinking bracket sizes, keying in on pre-determined sites and bubble models for sports.
    "Is it doable? Yeah," Emmert said. "We want to make it work for the students."..."

ping repped this.
  9. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    What should the federal government have done?
    Oh man.
    1) Developed some sort of team that was designed and assembled to be ready if and when a pandemic ever hit. Maybe call it something off the wall like a pandemic response team whose job it is to keep watch on potential threats and stay current on most effective practices in managing an event. Trumps admin restructured the team that was in place and lost a lot of top talent while the other team members were scattered across other organizations.

2) China told the US on January 20th that this was a highly contagious person to person virus. Regardless of the other numbers or seriousness they gave out, we knew in January that this could be the big one.

3) The second that phone call ended, check our federal stockpiles of medical supplies and shore up any shortages. As it was states were bidding against one another and facing severe medical supply shortages. the governor of Rhode Island managed to find medical supplies by contacting her former acquaintances from a previous career in Asian countries after being shipped an empty truck from the US government.

4) mass testing way earlier.

5) train and deploy robust tracing

6) weekly phone calls with the governors specifying messaging and phasing metrics to hit. The whiplash messaging coming from trump and different governors is insane. No one would run an organization like this.

7) with my global pandemic team I would have set a goal by August 1 that we’d be at x numbers and x amount of testing and tracing, knowing that if we could hit that numbers schools could open which in turn is jet fuel for the economy. Work like crazy to hit those numbers. Have a plan for hot spots or places that are struggling to hit those numbers. Deploy troops or staff to help with tracing and testing in hot spots. Share those goals with the American people and how they can help America hit those numbers.

8) or communicate any sort of plan at all that shows any foresight or direction for states to follow. It’s August 13th and there is still no plan.
    how can you run a country, or a team, or a business, or any sort of organization with no plan and no clear messaging?

10. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020
    If spring was the "season" would it become the competitive season because they didn't play in the fall?

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    9. Encourage people to wear masks.

10. Not speculated about drinking bleach.

11. Not speculated that this was an election year Democratic hoax.

12. Passing a second stimulus bill a month after the first one.

The list is endless.

SuperHyperVenom, blissett and HeadSpun repped this.
  12. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    People like you crack me up. It's going to be fun watching you do this all over again again after the election!

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Probably a mistake to be referencing supporter video clips.

14. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

The list really is endless! Not covid related but his comment that the noise from windmills cause cancer is hilarious.

so what are the chances women’s soccer has a spring season? 20%? 15%? 1%?

HeadSpun repped this.
  15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    my take is if the P5’s want it, it will happen.

i figure the 10 dates to keep under the 1/2 season, plus the 5 dates normally allowed in the non competition season, or something like that.

then a tourney.
    Nobody loses eligibility with only a bending of the rules.

andif the P5’s want football, title IX says they will have soccer and volleyball ( maybe instead of sand volleyball)

so, 50%

16. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    #991 Mojo45, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Careful buddy. I hear the Feds are not dropping charges. Tell your supporters to run faster next time.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the numbers as of now on teams not playing in the Fall:

Total Division I Teams 341
    Not Eligible for NCAA Tournament 6
    Total Teams Eligible for Tournament 335
    50% of Eligible Teams 168
    Eligible Teams Not Playing in Fall 235
    Additional Not Playing to Equal 50% -68

I think I have mentioned previously the possibility of conferences that intend to play football in the Fall might decide to move their other sports to the Spring. Under some circumstances, that might create a Title IX problem and an appearance of hypocrisy (as in, why is it safe to play football but not other sports in the Fall), but with there being no NCAA championships for the other sports in the Fall, the explanation could be that the football schools want their teams to be able to compete realistically for the NCAA championships that may be held in the Spring, thus they are moving those sports to the Spring. This might allow a legitimate competitive season in the Spring with a legitimate NCAA tournament.

The problem with this would be logistics, both for the schools in terms of management and facilities and for the NCAA in terms of managing a double set of NCAA championships.

ping repped this.
  18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah. You nailed it.

Why wait til November? That's me right now screaming over the 163,000 Americans who've died. 163,000 people that you don't give a f*ck about.

blissett repped this.
  19. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    Yawn. Another virtue signalling, judgmental Dem supporter telling others how they should feel and think. Since you do not know me from a hill of beans I will give you a pass on this one. I am sure you will be saddened by the fact that you will soon have 7 less supporters in future elections. If you really cared about people, like you claim you do, you should dissuade your soy supporters from committing violent felonies. They will not fare well in the Federal pen. Reality can be a cruel mistress at times.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...ted-federal-charges-weekend-carnage-portland/

20. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Gateway Pundit!! Hahhh, what a joke. It's right in the gutter with Zero Hedge

Let's see what the apolitical and unbiased website, Media Bias Fact Check, has to say about The Gateway Pundit....

The Gateway Pundit ► https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/ :cautious:

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE
    A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence. Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source.

The Gateway Pundit is an extreme right news and opinion website that is not afraid of conspiracy theories and the occasional publication of falsehoods (see analysis). The website was founded by Jim Hoft in 2004 to “speak the truth” and to “expose the wickedness of the left.”

HeadSpun, blissett and hykos1045 repped this.
  21. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody reads your off topic posts and derives any benefit from them. Your quarantine madness may be justified for you but this was not the forum for sorting it. I've set you to "Ignore" because I'm here for soccer reasons, and I don't believe your motivations are healthy. I hope you get the help you need elsewhere.

SuperHyperVenom, HeadSpun and blissett repped this.
  22. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020
    Politics aside, the facts are that people were always going to die. The virus crossed the ocean and got into the world.

To put 100% of the deaths on the US president is not intellectually honest. Are you telling everyone here that he should have figured out a way to stop the virus, not let anyone die when it was already running rampant PRIOR to the WHO and China letting us know that it was in fact able to spread person to person?

That ship sailed the second infected people got on planes and flew to Europe, the US etc

ping repped this.
  23. Mojo45

Mojo45 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 17, 2019
    Here you go this should help your indigestion:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/...r-weekend-protest-federal-courthouse-portland

24. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Rodney Dangerfield would have said "I went on-line to read a political message board and a discussion about women college soccer broke out"

25. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC