The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #576 PoetryInMotion, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Per the athletic: Big Ten contemplating conference only schedule for football, women’s soccer and all fall sports ...seems like writing is on the wall for woso to be at least delayed

2. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Didn’t take long...officially announced

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Looks like til next Spring or Summer?

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...ence-games/ar-BB16y0ui?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

"“As we continue to focus on how to play this season in a safe and responsible way, based on the best advice of medical experts, we are also prepared not to play in order to ensure the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes should the circumstances so dictate,” the league said."

"“By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic,” the Big Ten said."

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I think they would be willing to move football to spring but I don’t think they would move other sports. Feel like if women’s soccer doesn’t play in the fall then it just wont have a season until fall 2021

6. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s a Title IX lawsuit waiting to happen if you move one male sport and don’t provide an equal opportunity for female sports, or am I way off there? I think if we are talking about opportunity you could make the argument.

outside63, Nacional Tijuana and ytrs repped this.
  7. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    It wont be a lawsuit. As long as they don’t pull the scholarships which they wont. Especially because they will cancel men’s soccer season which is what would be the equivalent.

PoetryInMotion and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  8. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    maybe not a lawsuit, and maybe no one would sue, but I think that’s a NCAA violation if you only allow one fall sport (a male sport) to play and no female sports. That’s not equal opportunity by any conference or the NCAA. I would say there’s some hope for women’s soccer in 20-21 still because of this but I could be way wrong or off, and maybe my logic isn’t sound.

9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I disagree with this entirely. If they allow some men to play and no women to play it can easily be a legal issue. Besides, not every school offers men's soccer. So it is a university specific issue as well. If a school cancels women's volleyball and women's soccer but lets its football team play, that is a major issue. Those are the three main fall sports at many institutions (that don't have men's soccer).

hykos1045 repped this.
  10. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    If you think the NCAA will do what is ethical or makes sense then you definitely don’t know the NCAA. They are after one thing and one thing only. . . $$$$$ they will cancel women’s soccer in a heart beat and move football to the spring if that’s the only option and not lose a second of sleep over it.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    First, Football has to be the highest risk sport in terms of physical non-distancing and the potential to spread a contagious virus. (okay maybe wrestling is tops) If football is being played, other sports are being played.
    Second, the facilities crunch will be legit in the Spring but it means every team trains a bit less, plays less games, but it could be worked out. It may lead to more sports being dropped for budget reasons, but all changes should be made with an eye on gender equity.
    Third, the teams that get to play may just be the ones who don't have major outbreaks! Just like we see in MLS. When a team has an outbreak, they quarantine and may shut down. Maybe schools or entire conferences in areas with lots of virus at the wrong time don't get to play (like League1 in France). Disciplined teams in lower virus areas maybe do get to play (Bundesliga). Maybe it's time to teach your kids tennis or golf if they want to be athletes (or auto racing, cliff diving, or other low contact sports).
    Lastly, its also true some schools have already or will come to realize, they aren't playing this year at all. But waiting and delaying keeps students enrolled and paying tuition and connected to the school, and less time for pissed off alumni to rage, sponsors to defect, etc.

Will be interesting to see if there are actually transfers to more rural areas or where there is less virus if some teams can get playing.

ps- someone somewhat famous in college sports, like a P5 FB coach, getting really sick could just shut it all down, really any day.

ping and ytrs repped this.
  12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Apparently you do not know how expensive Title IX lawsuits are. And, if you do not think equality and civil rights are not at the forefront of issues in America right now, then you are living under a rock. It would cost the NCAA millions in a lawsuit if they discriminated against the women.

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie K, if there is consideration of Fall sports moving to the Spring, one thing that will be a factor will be having to manage locker room facilities in a CV-19 environment. That is something that will be difficult enough with the sports from one season going on. When they start putting two seasons worth of sports going on at the same time, the problem will become even more difficult. This will be part of the calculation that will go on in determining whether to do it.

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  15. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, yes. However, I know many schools will find ways to work around it. They're already addressing plans with SAs.

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've long thought that this country's response to COVID19 would have been much different had someone famous died from the disease. I mean, look at the grief and angst over Kobe's death. Pep Guardiola's mom, John Prine, some 4th degree royal from Spain. They're not going to move the needle. Nick Saban, on the other hand, now that would have repercussions...

17. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    D1 football will not be played in spring 21 and then come back in june to prepare for fall 21/august games.

USsoccerguy and Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  18. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no knowledge of what the BCS schools are planning, but for the D1 FCS football schools as well as for other NCAA Fall sports that come under the NCAA jurisdiction, the plan so far is that if they get halted in mid-Fall and must go to later in the school year to complete their seasons and have NCAA championships, that is what they will do. This will not occur only if the delay is so long that it would have to extend into the 2021-22 season, which they will not do.

ytrs repped this.
  19. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IYou’re right, maybe they wouldn’t come back in June, but the rest of it is totally on the table. Even if they play games in spring 2021, they absolutely would try and play a regular, full football schedule in fall 2021. What you’d see is a lot of draft-eligible and draft-probable juniors/seniors sit out this spring and prepare for NFL, and reduced spring schedules, but you absolutely could see football played until April/May and then played again in September.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The PAC 12 just joined the B1G in announcing in-conference only for all fall sports.

which wipes out the non-conference season for a host of teams in the West.

21. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would expect very similar announcements from the ACC, Big 12, and SEC in the near future.

22. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking forward to Florida versus Duke in just a couple of weeks. Any chance that some exhibitions will still happen? How do you just tune up to play in the Big Ten?

All the people making comparisons to professional leagues need to stop and just realize one thing. Nobody is going to charter flights... flying commercial is a risk to teams. I think the Fall NCAA tourney won't happen and any games this season may be regional in nature.

23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think there will be any exhibitions. One of the issues is that different conferences have different rules and some other team coming may not have been held to the same precautions as the other.

And the seasons themselves may be way more interesting, since as you say, there won't be creampuffs to tune up on. Each team is starting out cold in the conference, which makes every game even more important. It'll be up to the teams to come out of the gate running. Which is, of course, easier said than done.

hykos1045 repped this.
  24. Dadof3

Dadof3 New Member

Benfica
    Brazil
    Dec 28, 2019
    Football will dictate what everyone does. If football plays then others will play. There is no way way they will let football play and tell women’s soccer they can’t.
    Good luck in court with that battle. As dumb as the NCAA is they are not that dumb.

Soccerguy1022 and ytrs repped this.
  25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not see why posters are talking about Title IX and the NCAA. Title IX applies to the schools. They are the ones that might have problems, not the NCAA.

As the Ivy League and the Big 10 and Pac 12 have made clear, the schools are the ones that are driving the decisions about who will play what sports, and in what format.