The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Back on topic. Thanks.

The big issue here is that college (and K12) administrators are listening to the health care professionals and realizing all the measures that need to be taken to keep students safe. Masking when indoors or near anyone, physical distancing, one-way exits/entries/stairs, single rooms, staggered dining, etc. etc. So, no band, no chorus, no drama, (and they say no parties).

Well then the AD/Conference folks are saying, by the way, when do we get to take off our masks and run around on the field? Or lift weights and then go slam into each other with helmets and pads sweating profusely?

I believe the Williams President, or maybe Bowdoin, said it was athletics that may actually be the reason there's an outbreak and could close the school. So at the expensive privates who have endowments and no enrollment concerns, they are thinking about overall student safety. What are they thinking about where football is a massive revenue source? The money. Enrollment is survival for the small privates so they are very nervous as well.

And what are we seeing in the NBA, MLB, MLS, College FB summer camps? - There IS still virus out there. Many of those pros are now "opting out". And the NFL is delaying preseason and their union is working on an "opt out" provision for them as well. College players don't have a union so it will be interesting when we start hearing that the 'obvious NFL draft' players start "opting out" like they do for minor bowl games every year.

Sorry if this is too negative for you. Chips are falling out there and so it's Not looking better at this point for college sports. Thank God the EPL got its act together and looks like they will finish a season...and the NWSL games have been pretty good. But I'm happy to also slam a politician or another poster if you like...

HeadSpun, ping and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In some areas, it is more than just money. It is a major part of the regional culture, something people live for.

ping repped this.
  3. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    FC Dallas just pulled out of the MLS is back tournament. Not a good look. Wonder if any other teams will follow FC Dallas’s lead and head home

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The EPL and Bundesliga have been playing for weeks, no real issues, which shows me that there is much overreaction, especially when we consider that young people rarely even get sick from the virus. Is the virus going to be gone in three/four months--in the spring? No. Meanwhile, golf: they're playing. Nascar--they're racing. Basketball and baseball--will soon be playing. This idea that we're all supposed to keep hiding under our beds until CV completely disappears is completely unrealistic. We knew the Ivy League and small privates were going to act with an abundance of caution. We'll see what the big boys do.

ping and Messi #1 repped this.
  5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Need to compare apples to apples. Golf and Nascar are individual sports and event based. So small enough number of participants to test everyone and keep a good bubble for the short duration of the event. I haven't done the golf research but believe a Nascar driver has tested positive. Jimmie Johnson I think. Good for them and maybe Tennis could also get going.

True that European leagues are the best model so far of how consistent testing and disciplined athletes can pull off a closed-door season. In the US, those basketball and baseball games may be played but without very many of the best players because they know there's still virus and can "opt out" of taking any risks. You won't recognize some of the teams. The NWSL/MLS had entire teams that could not get virus-free enough to start their seasons. Likely to happen in other leagues and across college sports. Some colleges summer camps have shut down already. (UW just tested 1300 college fraternity men and got 121 positives. So there is virus in many college towns.)

You realize if EVERYONE stayed home (under beds not necessary) for about 2 weeks, the virus would be gone and we're back to normal. Because we didn't do that well enough, and all at the same time, we still have virus. If we could also test Everyone today, or over a few weeks, we'd find almost all of the virus and could isolate or treat people and it would be over. We aren't really planning to do that either. So, we have some answers but no one leading us to do it. That means more people getting sick and dying than need to... and puts activity like sports and soccer in perspective, and in jeopardy.

It really really stinks to see this coming and have nothing to do about it.

HeadSpun, upprv and First Time Finish repped this.
  6. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a variety of, some lazy, headlines that are conflating what happened, but "lead" is a definite stretch! Please note, if you saw any of the headlines in red below, it was easy to reach the wrong determination, so I am qualifying these misleading headlines as "fake" news.

CBS: "pulls out"
    ESPN: "has pulled out"
    NY Times: "dropped out"

SI: "have been withdrawn from the MLS is Back Tournament" (per MLS)
    NBC: "that it has has been withdrawn"
    NY Post: "was forced to withdraw"

MLS: "we have made the decision to withdraw FC Dallas from the MLS is Back Tournament"
    FC Dallas: "supports Major League Soccer’s decision to withdraw the club"

blissett repped this.
  7. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Are you kidding in this post? or are you saying FC Dallas,
    dropped out vs
    has had to drop out
    makes that first statement 'fake news'?
    I think we all know it was the virus that caused this situation and the team will not be playing regardless of who you want to blame. The team wanted weeks more time and the league said no.

So, when Carlos Vela said he was "opting out" of the MLS tournament, was that fake news? Since his very pregnant wife probably said he "had to opt out" ?
    Same with dozens of NBA players and the list of baseball players 'opting out' that is growing daily. Wait till the NFL "opt out" list gets going.

HeadSpun repped this.
  8. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Some of you dipsticks need to stop trying look for every little detail to start complaining about. My point was FC Dallas is out fo the MLS tournament which doesn’t bode well for college sports. If pros cant limit the problem then how do we expect college kids to be able to? Who gives a flying flip wether they pulled themselves out or if the league told them to league. It’s the same result

9. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would be very wary of saying well things worked fine for the MLS, Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga, NASCAR, PGA, etc. so we can all assume women's college soccer will work out well too. Totally different environments. For the MLS for example, they are professional athletes that can live in a bubble where they are at a Disney hotel resort, train and play at Disney fields, all stay on the same floor, get on the same bus to and from the hotel and field, and have catered meals at one site. Everything is contained and monitored in that bubble. A college campus with 18-22 year-old college kids from different area is far different. The coaches can monitor their players during their training, games, meetings (which will be mostly virtual), and travel. But the other 120-150 hours a week the student-athletes will walking around campus, coming into contact with people at their dorms or off-campus residences, and as the highest risk-taking age group will be in scenarios where they will congregate in groups, namely parties and getting together with people they haven't seen since mid-March and some of the athletes will be in a mindset where they are just "over covid" even though covid isn't over us. It's already led to breakouts at different sites through our mismanaged country and every athletic director and university president will know they are inviting these spikes when fall sports begin. Which is why I would expect that when the Ivy League announces tomorrow they are moving fall sports to the spring that many other conferences and eventually the NCAA will follow.

HeadSpun and ping repped this.
  10. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I have a question about a conference moving their season to the spring and its a serious one so please no sny remarks. . .

Could the NCAA block it? Like if the ivys announce they are going to play WSOC in the spring couldn’t the NCAA say no you are only still allowed 5 spring dates because that’s what’s in the rule book. Especially if the NCAA still goes ahead and plays a fall championship season?

I wouldn’t think its as easy as just saying we are going to play in the spring you guys do what you want about the fall

hykos1045 repped this.
  11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I know in Division 2, largely due to the Cal conference not playing fall sports, the NCAA is allowing for very flexible practice and playing seasons. As long as the Conference supports/requests the changes. I think even if you don't finish your season in one semester, you could in the other. So could actually make soccer a winter sport, like a regular basketball season.
    I think its fair to assume this same flexibility will be allowed in D1 eventually (and D3 of course).
    The big thing is when the NCAA wants to sponsor and conduct a championship. It is a possible outcome to have a Fall championship with some smaller number of schools then normal but have none in the Spring for the rest who finish then. The NCAA is governed by schools that have votes so I'd guess if the majority of conferences move their usually Fall championships to Spring, the NCAA would move their tournament as well.
    We are all assuming that a May/June nationwide NCAA Tournament will be easier to pull off than one in Nov/Dec. I would not put odds on that but certainly buys time.

ping repped this.
  12. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine if the Ivy wants to get creative with the existing spring limitation in place they could still do a series of spring tournaments on weekends. Another speculation only is that the long awaited full year season measures could be rolled out to allow the flexibility that some conferences may want to move some or all matches to a spring semester.

Also, more speculation here, I would not be at all surprised if the NCAA tournament format changes back to regional pods to limit the travel rather than so many first round sites.

I should really have given you the benefit of the doubt here which is to say that you probably meant "share their fate" when you said "follow their lead." I'm truly sorry about my misinterpretation of your remark.

Yes, I think that the characterization in the news about Dallas "withdrawing" was mostly just benign semantics. I have overreacted by calling it "fake news" however I do suggest it was a little clever PR on Dallas' behalf, if not a lie per se, joined by lazy reporting on CBS' part to reprint that phraseology without properly identifying the impetus for what really occurred. So, nobody lied outright but I do think some manipulation of the facts was applied here and rather than let that continue to spiral away from the whole truth, that's something I felt the need to address. And I totally respect you and Eddie's opinion on this regardless of our differences.

blissett repped this.
  13. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    I’m with you on this Chris!!

14. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    guys we all know FC Dallas would botch it because they don't have any money left . . . They gave it all to Patrick Mahomes

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the team schedules posted to date, and focusing on the non-conference opponents of teams that have posted schedules, here are some conference numbers showing up so far as non-conference opponents:

Northeast 3
    Ivy 4
    Metro Atlantic 4
    Atlantic Ten 5
    Colonial 6

Next come the Big Ten and Big East showing up 8 times each with the remaining conferences having higher numbers with CUSA the highest at 37.

A lot of these conferences schedule each other and have not yet posted any schedules, so that could account for the low numbers showing up so far.

Some of the schedules that produced these numbers were posted quite a while ago, and I consider them doubtful, so the numbers for the five in the above list may be high.

16. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r New Member

FC Cincinnati
    United States
    May 11, 2019
  17. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ll-reevaluate-playing-sports-in-january-2021/

Ivy League cancels college football season for fall 2020, will reevaluate playing sports in January 2021

"The conference loses more money on football than any other sport. Basketball, the league's real money-maker, is its only profitable atheltic venture."

" "... You can't move all the sports to the spring; the logistics don't work. The soccer field is the lacrosse field. The scheduling would be a nightmare." "

18. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These are tough times in College Sports. Difficult decisions and heart breaking ramifications to many involved.

Stay well y'all. The more people who take the individual steps to stop spreading this virus, the faster we can rebuild to normal. Limit socializing. Only go out when needed. Avoid being in crowded areas. Wear a Mask! If you are not inside your house you should have a mask on. It's not a conspiracy, it's not someone trying to take away your rights, it's basic, medical science 101. Wear a f**kg mask so we can slow the spread of the virus.

Announced this afternoon:

Stanford eliminates 11 sports to cut costs as it faces $25 million deficit

Stanford was already facing some difficult financial choices as it tried to support one of the nation’s largest athletics departments.

The coronavirus forced a dramatic and painful decision: Faced with a nearly $25 million deficit next year, Stanford became the first known Power Five school to eliminate athletic programs because of the pandemic, announcing Wednesday that 11 of its 36 varsity sports will be shuttered next year.

The school will discontinue men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling after the 2020-21 academic year. Stanford also is eliminating 20 support staff positions.

19. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Is there something wrong with me that when I first saw the Stanford headline, I was secretly (OK, not secretly) hoping that women's soccer was one of the affected teams?

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely.

ACrom, Almost done and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  21. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sobering Sports Illustrated article but the reality after the Ivy League decision and Stanford cuts:
    https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/...n-in-jeopardy-stanford-ivy-league-coronavirus

"One of the oldest aphorisms in sports is to respect your opponent. America didn’t respect COVID-19—not enough to stay quarantined and wear masks and do what it had to do. Complacency, arrogance and stubbornness didn’t get the job done, and now the increasingly costly bills for that disrespect are coming due."

This is where we see the true outcomes of either having real leadership based on sound facts as is the case in certain states and other countries or in the overall US case a total lack of accountability based on awful leadership. It affects all of us.

blissett, William49, upprv and 5 others repped this.
  22. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Well ACC just announced they are pushing start date back to September 1 for all fall sports

23. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I have been wondering what would have happened if there had been a Division 1 college sports czar who in April had made the following rule:

There will be no Division 1 college sports during the 2020-2021 season unless nationally we have no new CV-19 cases per day by July 1. [You could moderate the standard, but only very slightly.]​

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    D3 dominoes are falling fast. D1 Ivy's make it easier for other D1s to follow but we'll see how fast. D2 Cal conference gave up early but other D2s are so geographically isolated that some could likely pull off a conf-only season. If the NCAA eventually moves Fall championships to the Spring, then all conferences would likely have to try the "all play in the Spring" option. Going to be lots of back and forth about health and safety of players/staff/fans vs economic impacts.

Could we start a petition to use CARES money to build new fields at schools that need them for the Spring?
    That's a joke of course, but seems like we are just printing money. Some Private prep-schools near me, high schools with multi million dollar endowments, got some of that Federal PPP money, That is....our money.

About the solution, we all know the answer (post #555) but did not do it.

HeadSpun repped this.
  25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My slightly educated guess about conferences that might follow the Ivy League and not play this Fall. This is based on the extent to which these conferences are "playing partners" These all are conferences that play primarily in the northeast area:

Ivy -- already decided
    Patriot
    America East
    Northeast
    Metro Atlantic

Conferences that play primarily in the northeast area but not to the extent of the above five:

Atlantic Ten
    Colonial
    Big East

Of these three, the most likely to go with the five is Atlantic Ten. If it goes, then Colonial would be next to follow. Big East would be next.

These conferences, as a group, play more than 80% of their games within their group. So, if they were to all not play in the Fall, the other areas of the country likely could proceed.