The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Merica!

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know what "I'm a free American" adds to this, but otherwise it makes sense with one exception. I would add "And I understand that there are others who will be out there not wearing masks, not washing hands, and not social distancing, who will be infected, are not listening to all the news sources, are not making up their own minds, but instead are letting others think for them." I think that would provide for a better risk-benefit analysis.

And, Amen to tipping LARGE.

USsoccerguy, ping, HeadSpun and 2 others repped this.
  3. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    I am still FREE but some crazies want to take that away and rewrite history.
    I wish everyone would read or re-read Brave New World and 1984.

Also, I will ALWAYS STAND for the National Anthem as it has always given me goose bumps AND I understand the context of the phrasing and rhyming of the third verse which is never sung.

Socr4evaH repped this.
  4. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the statement in your earlier post still was good.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OK, I'll bite....

What is the context of the rhyming of the third verse?

It's A-B-A-B C-C D-D, which is the same for verses 1, 2 and 4.

ping repped this.
  6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Good lord who wants to take away your freedom? Seriously. Who is sitting in their gilded mansion relishing the thought that you can’t eat indoors but can eat outdoors or pick up your food to go? What goal does that achieve?

and you aren’t free. You can’t drive 90 in your neighborhood, scroll Facebook on the freeway, drink and drive, skip paying taxes, drink at 16, sleep with your cousin, marry a 12 year old, yell fire in a theater, blackmail someone, sell stocks based on non public knowledge and on and on and on and on and freaking on. How you equate state restrictions put in place during a global pandemic that is killing more Americans than Vietnam with an attack on your freedom is asinine. Seriously.

7. Brian Webb

Brian Webb Member

Aug 7, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    You sound like Neviille Chamberlain. You might think all is fine and good with the CHOPs/CHAZs... I do not.
    I really wish everyone would read Brave New World and 1984.

I think that State Restrictions are killing our economy especially the small businesses more than COVID19 long term for everyone. If Protests are OKAY then let people make their own decision to work, play and live.

Socr4evaH repped this.
  8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have read 1984. Maybe 6 times. I don't think 1984 is the book you think it is.

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian, most of what you said in your initial post was good, but you put in some language that looked like you might have been intending to pick a fight. Is that true? You now have completely distracted from the good things you said. It is frustrating and makes me want to tune you out.

HeadSpun repped this.
  10. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He was doing so well. Then he verged into the realm of moron. Such a shame.

HeadSpun and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  11. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    Brian, What do you know about CHAZ??? CHAZ was a beautiful place with no Police, and no violence and it’s a shame the mayor gave in... Yes, few people were killed there but they were outsiders with twisted ideologies that warranted those outcomes. Thankfully though good people in Portland are working hard to build something Similar and perhaps better with putting up walls that can keep certain people like you out.

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Haha! For a second I thought you were being serious.

Sledhead repped this.
  13. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    That’s the most simplistic reading of Brave New World. If our government is going to pacify and control us, they won’t use mask regulations and put people out of business. That only creates chaos and uprising. They (and the whole concept of “they” is problematic because our government is not set up to agree and conspire about anything let alone a nationwide plot to subdue all of us...when we finance and elect them) wouldn’t bankrupt us, create a health crisis and exacerbate our need in order to control us.

we overthrow our government every 4 years. To think that anyone had the foresight to create a pandemic in order instill chaos in our country with the end goal of pacifying and controlling us is ridiculous. And to do so months before the government turns over makes zero sense.

All of the hyperbolic, dystopian books have a centralized seat of power dictating sweeping and totalitarian laws backed by military. Please give just one example of the three branches of our American government agreeing on anything enough to convince the state government and then have the manpower and financing to make sure it’s implemented from Manhattan down to podunk small town in Kansas. Please. Just one.

now extrapolate that to a massive and limiting law that takes our freedom. How exactly would all three branches, with two parties agree, then implement it in all 50 states and make sure all politicians in all 50 states agree, get the military and the police on board and carry it out. Please. Explain how that would happen.

we can’t even get all the counties in one state to agree on guidelines to protect our health. And you’re here saying our freedom is in jeopardy. You sound like an uneducated crazy person.

there is no they. There is no conspiracy to take freedoms. There is no plot to control us. Comparing the regulations being implemented (haphazardly at that) to the plot of a brave new world or 1984 is asinine.

Sledhead, HeadSpun and First Time Finish repped this.
  14. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    AND this statement is good.

15. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    It's too bad there's only a thumbs up choice - I'd love a thumbs down or a sarcastic lol button.

ping repped this.
  16. Socr4evaH

Socr4evaH New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jan 4, 2020
    This forum has become rather humorous, seems so many are drinking the koolaid. Not much individual thought, I guess you just can't fix stupid. How easily so many have done what they have been told to do, just follow the rules, march in line because Fauci, Birx, Newsom, or any other political hack has said to do so. Our political leaders have lost all credibility because they have let politics influence important public-health decisions rather than science.

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I guess we shouldn’t listen to the experts and listen to you then.

USsoccerguy and HeadSpun repped this.
  18. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    Exactly. Dr. Fauci has been right about everything. In late January, he said Coronavirus is not a major threat. Late March, he said masks don’t do anything so we shouldn’t wear one. I’m so glad President Biden announced that he is committed to keep him in the White House :thumbsup:

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Fauci is a clown. He is afraid to stand up to Trump for fear of being fired.

20. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

Put both of those examples IN CONTEXT. You understand what that is right? You can’t pull out a fragment of a quote and ignore the rest of it. You get that?
    In January said Americans don’t need to be worried RIGHT NOW but the situation is changing daily and can rapidly get worse. At that point there was no rapid spreading in the US and measures could still be taken if it showed up here (spoiler: it did and none were taken. Thanks trump!)

In March he said masks needed to be conserved for essential workers (facing a shortage...again thanks trump!!). They also didn’t know, at the time, the extent to which asymptomatic or pre symptomatic people could transmit Covid. AND he said the situation could change.

it’s crazy to me that you just repeat debunked not factual talking points with no understanding of nuance or context.

and lastly do you grasp that science and data is evolving? What they know the first 4 weeks of a virus and what they know 16 weeks in is vastly different? They can only give recommendations on the info they have at that moment. To crucify scientists for changing guidelines based on new information is crazy.

HeadSpun repped this.
  21. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004

Please explain how it’s politically beneficial to a party, politician or a campaign to have a guideline to wear a mask?

22. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    You nailed it! So because we didn’t know much then, let’s stop blaming people you don’t like or agree with politically to just make you feel more enlightened. Both sides been wrong and blaming one person or party just goes to show your lack of understanding of the system as a whole.
    Thank you,

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Maybe the whole world should be listening to your expertise instead of disease experts. Seems like you know more than them Karen.

24. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Who knows if Fauci is believable or not...the best way is to look into the CDC and you will see that most of what you see on this forum from some people is trying to continue spreading fear about a virus that will end being like many others in the past.

The CDC itself states that most people that contract COVID get healthy without any medical attention:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html

Also, the CDC says infection rate is very high, much higher then previously thought. That means death rate is much lower then what is in the media.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1232134

Of course, people can have a serious situation and ultimately die, but many other diseases can end up this way. 3-4 years from now we will see little difference between SARS and COVID.

25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #550 RUfan, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Rutgers to be mostly remote this fall, will limit student housing

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...ote-this-fall-will-limit-student-housing.html
    "Athletics
    Decisions regarding the upcoming athletic season will continue to be guided by state requirements and policies developed by the campuses’ respective athletic conferences."

Princeton will limit students on campus to one semester, discount tuition due to COVID-19

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...emester-discount-tuition-due-to-covid-19.html

Harvard to reopen with fewer than half of undergrads on campus and all courses taught remotely

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...e-updates-us/#link-HQ77IQ2EWRE7ZIOCORFRNKV2XM

ping repped this.