The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    18-19 players is perfect.....What's the issue? All of them will play and there will be peace, love and happiness....

2. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

On January 14, the World Health Organization (WHO) tweeted that there was "no clear evidence" that the coronavirus could spread between people.

Here is a link:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/who...us-tweet-was-to-appease-china-guardian-2020-4

---Your response about what trump should have done 50 years ago, is sad (for you) . To have this kind of viewpoint means all you views on him and the good that has been done is severely clouded.

I hope you are not a coach/ educator of the next generation. We want to develop youngsters who can critically think.

3. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    if this happens the teams who rely on their internationals will be in for a rough time!

ping repped this.
  4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

We need more teachers who can caution the youth of today to take windmill cancer seriously.

UNCway, HeadSpun, BigBear and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I always wonder why birds were dying near them.

6. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Room and board (should a player be lucky enough to get it) is a real cost.

SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Many internationals have significant scholarships from their home countries. It's cheaper than building an equivalent academic structure at home.

ping repped this.
  8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    If you are seriously concerned about bird deaths at windmills, you should first do something about the big 3 bird killers - cars, glass windows, and house cats.

William49 and HeadSpun repped this.
  9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    [please no political trolling on this thread, leave that crap to twitter]

The article below addresses many issues and worth sharing. From the U of Cal Regents meeting last week. Schools like ND and Rice think they can create a "bubble" on their campus. Test everyone and don't let them leave the bubble. (assuming athletes would be tested upon return to campus but wonder if they would require visiting teams to be tested?? at least for contact sports?)

The Cal schools are not likely able to create many 'bubbles' on their urban and suburban campuses. So, they would have to just go for it with lots of students and staff coming and going.
    A couple points -
    Testing the entire UC System would cost $25M per round. They say that's 'not feasible' and they HAVE THE MONEY and own 5 Hospitals! The Cal medical staff person talked about a sampling testing strategy to determine if their was virus on the campuses. The Union folks did their own analysis of the system endowment and is arguing that the money is there to do universal testing. Faculty and Staff agreement to reopening for in-person classes is going to be an issue. They are the one's most vulnerable.
    Here's a comment to a NYT Article about campus virus mitigation. Anonymous but is a shared concern out there. I can tell you plenty of coaches feel this way too but aren't saying it out loud. Aren't these points the same for a football team meeting? (and for a HS teacher as well?)

I'm a professor at a large state university in the midwest that "plans" to open in the fall. The prospect of trying to get dozens of students in and out of the one door that leads into my badly-ventilated classroom without crowding, and making them keep masks on for an hour, seems preposterous. I can't even get them to take their ear buds out or put their phones away. How am I going to enforce this if I encounter resistance from a belligerent student? Call the Provost to come in and lay down the law? I don't think he's going to help me. Faculty are scared and we feel we're being put at risk without having a voice in the decision, or any options to protect ourselves and our families.

Article about the UC meeting:
    https://calmatters.org/education/higher-education/2020/05/uc-regents-fall-2020-budget-coronavirus/

Going to hear a lot of Health vs Job. If we can't open campuses really safely and really trust students, there may be outbreaks. But if we don't open campuses, some will close. Crazy dilemma.

[please no political trolling on this thread, leave that crap to twitter]

ping repped this.
  10. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    A-10
    Pod #1: Dayton, Duquesne, St. Louis, St. Bonaventure
    Pod #2: Davidson, George Mason, George Wash, Richmond, VCU
    Pod #3: Fordham, LaSalle, Mass, Rhode Island, St. Joseph's
    Not certain but I do not think you play anyone outside your Pod until conference playoff

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder about not playing conference teams outside your pod. The conference announcement about scheduling said they were going to reduce the Fall sport conference schedules by 25%. Previously, they have played a 10-game schedule. A 25% reduction would be to 7 or 8 games. If it is a 7-game conference schedule, it would mean the teams from the 5-team pods would play 3 additional games against teams outside their pods and the teams from the 4-team pods would play 4. Alternatively, there could be multiple games against opponents from the same pod.

12. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    The tentative schedule I just saw had no conference games outside your Pod. Looks like some teams will play each other 3 times. First conference game scheduled for early October. No idea when or if there will be non-conference games.

13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know that this is jumping way ahead, particularly because the prospects of a fall season are still in doubt, but have any conferences addressed fans at games in the fall? For women's soccer it always isn't a huge concern but some games do attract large crowds. I would think that there might be limits on attendance.

I've watched a few Bundesliga games lately, in which no fans were in attendance, and the atmosphere is just weird. Not having that constant buzz in the stadiums made it seem as if I was watching a training session. The Polish pro league starts with fans next week. We'll see how that goes.

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Hence why they trying to address it with pictures in stands and audio on loud speakers. Otherwise you can easily hear what the players are saying.

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's a saying in the military: Amateurs discuss tactics, professionals discuss logistics.

I bet the single biggest issue a coach will have for a "successful" season will be managing these "bubbles" and it will be less about whether the coach deploys a 4-4-3 or a 4-4-2.

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is very interesting. Colleges have slashed the number of tenured positions and filled them ever more with adjunct professors over the past decades. I would not expect a college professor to be able to voice any kind of concern like that expressed above.

I am surprised that primary and secondary schools are planning on re-opening because those staffs are unionized. This is not an issue I've been looking at, but I am surprised that I haven't seen any teacher's union come out and flatly say that they are NOT reporting for in-class instruction in the fall.

17. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For the Atlantic 10, those pods would make sense if you only play the teams in your pod twice, home and away. Pod 2 could play games as day trips with no hotels and flights needed, except for Davidson. Pod 3 would have some overnight stays, but no flights. Pod 1 is the hard one, with only 4 teams and the biggest geographic footprint. That pod would have to work out who would play each other a third time. Definitely going to be some flights there between St. Louis to Pittsburgh to Ohio to upstate NY. Never really understood why St. Louis is in the A10. Perhaps this pod may play less games (6 instead of 8), given they have to travel more and have more costs?

Assuming the 3 group winners and best second place winner make the A10 tournament?

18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    A 4-4-3 has a definite advantage.

19. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    What does this mean? There would be very few countries (if any) that would give its citizens scholarships to go play soccer at a US university. Not even a student loan.

20. unspecialone

unspecialone New Member

Nov 5, 2019

Believe he is referring to the fact that many internationals can go to school in their own countries and receive a subsidy that makes it very inexpensive to go to school in their own country.

I can attest, there certainly is some of this going on right now when talking to agencies about foreign players. There is a small portion of internationals that are choosing to stay home for a year (or dropping the idea of coming to the US altogether) because of COVID. I'm sure this is a pretty temporary thing though provided life returns to whatever the new normal may be for us after this.

21. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    They don't give the scholarship to play soccer - it is to get an education in an American college that cannot afford to provide. However, the players' admissions to some American colleges may be influenced by their soccer ability.

22. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    For internationals, it is almost always cheaper to attend university in their country. If a student qualifies for aid (from their country) to attend a university in the US they probably received that money due to their academic ability so I doubt they are going to bother playing soccer in the US. At the big state universities sometimes it's easier for internationals to gain admission than it is for state residents.

With all of the craziness happening in the US at the moment as well as the gun violence/open carry laws - I'm not the only parent of an international player hesitant to send my child to the US.

23. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nacional Tijuana and cpthomas repped this.
  24. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Don't apologize. At this moment he's threatening martial law.

HeadSpun repped this.
  25. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://themw.com/news/2020/6/1/bas...rd-of-directors-concludes-annual-meeting.aspx

• The Mountain West removed its indefinite suspension of in-person team athletic activities which had been in place since March 26. The MW will allow voluntary in-person athletic workouts for all sports beginning June 1. Each MW institution will have the discretion to make their determination within state, local, NCAA and campus guidelines.
    • Discussed the MW Health and Safety Advisory Group comprised of medical professionals and senior level administrators representing all 12 Mountain West football-playing universities. The advisory group’s mission is to help provide guidance as the league prepares for the return of athletics activities, including team gatherings, practices, conditioning and competition.

HeadSpun repped this.