The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Folks, please create a BS Politics and Soccer thread for this crap so we can all ignore that instead of hijacking this thread.

If you don't have a take about the pandemic and college soccer, then please go elsewhere, like your fake twitter accounts, to complain and pick on each other.

2. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    That was mature.

3. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    Has anyone's player's scholarship offered changed?

4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Can it legally? Aren't the schools bound to these written contracts (NLI's)?

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Not if they haven’t signed yet. Lots of previous verbal offers are changing due to budget cuts

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair enough.

There is a Politics and Current Events forum here on BS if anyone wants to talk politics. It took me a while to find it....

But to Eddie's point, to some degree the decision to open up and the prospects for college soccer, heck even college at all, is most definitely political. And for many of us, Corona Spring hits close to home. At least one UVa player, and her mother, presumably contracted COVID19, though I do understand both are doing better.

7. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    father of a Florida player was in ICU for a number of days, but fortunately survived.

8. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not likely have cured it, but it is likely that nearly ANY other leader would have managed the crucial 8 weeks during Jan and Feb to prepare our country for the oncoming Pandemic MUCH better. We had time to at minimum get tests out to big cities where people were still flying into US from China and Europe. If the management of distributing the test, PPE and setting up the collection of testing data were done, we would have had DATA to inform us, even roughly, where the virus was breaking out.

With this knowledge a leader would have (should have) been able to only close down the cities/areas that already had activity, while preparing the other cities for potential cases. The nation's entire economy was shut down unnecessarily because we had NO idea where or to what extent the virus had already spread.

Our commander in chief did not give this threat the resources of time and attentive leadership. During this CRUCIAL, 8 weeks, with a pandemic threatening millions of Americans, Trump chose to travel to ELEVEN Rallies and multiple Golf weekends. Add in the absolute lies to the American public about whether to take this virus seriously. America's lack of leadership has cost trillions of dollars to the economy and uncountable lives. This is what the world sees. This is what Americans who read and pay attention to FACTS (not partisan spin) are witnessing.

BECAUSE we love America, her ideals, and democracy, we are furious.

BigBear, TimB4Last, upprv and 3 others repped this.
  9. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry - didn't see the request to move the political stuff. Will do. Let's focus on Fall soccer.

hykos1045, ping and SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  10. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    My 2021only has a verbal. I am a bit worried it won't be as generous as originally discussed. Can only wait and see.

11. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Same here.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    About the scholarships, many coaches will be in a tough spot and do not envy them. When the Spring kids got their eligibility for another year, their team budgets got immediately squeezed by any returners on a scholarship. Now, cuts across the board will certainly occur in many places and affect soccer of course, and what about internationals? Are coaches adding a few kids to their roster in case some or many can't arrive for the season? and if you decide to pay those 'new' kids, what happens next year if the internationals can then arrive and expect that same offer?

There was a provision for multi-year awards in some conferences but the vast majority of athletic scholarships are awarded for 1 year at a time and renewed year over year and I imagine contain some contingency about 'available funds'. Those renewals occur at the end of the year, so about now.

Here's a question for coaches - if your scholarship budget gets cut say 20% and you're not sure its temporary, is it easier to cut the number on current players or committed recruits or some of both? Does everyone take the 20% even if it means your top players may then consider transferring? (maybe they expected an increase?) or top recruits may then want to look around?
    If you are (or close to) a current or soon to be student-athlete on any money, I would not let anything surprise you.

This is a big reason why the D2 folks are going to cut contests for every sport across the board. With the hope of sharing the pain and having a case to avoid other cuts, like to scholarships. So, less games but same money. At least that's the idea.

And before you complain, remember that entire sports are being dropped and entire schools are going to be closing. Ask a Bowling Green baseball player.

hykos1045 and ping repped this.
  13. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    ND is proposing to start August 10th - no fall break and end before Thanksgiving.

ping repped this.
  14. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    socalsoccer23 and ping repped this.
  15. unspecialone

unspecialone New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    Furman announced they are discontinuing baseball and men's lacrosse today. Another COVID casualty. Also cutting 45 scholarships across athletics, in addition to other budgets cuts (I don't know if MLAX and baseball where included in those).

Additionally, East Carolina has announced they are cutting at least one a sport but did not say what sport(s).

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/article242819861.html

16. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    First off, nothing is a 'done-deal' at this point. Remember when teams were stuck at airports when their schools almost instantly closed and games were canceled in March??
    and frankly, as someone not associated with those schools that want to go early, it's very good news. Of course, 1, that some schools have the guts, and the money to take measures, to make such a call. But also, these folks will be weeks ahead of other schools (who may start even later) and so will help determine if it was a good idea and what works and doesn't.

I think a whole lot of schools, (like Cal St), don't want to commit to spend all that money to change their campuses and student protocols, to find out they may not open for in-person classes anyway. If ND, Purdue, Rice or others are committed to in-person Fall classes, think of all the virus testing and PPE and cleaning supplies they are going to be purchasing, in tough budget times and at inflated prices. It's a big risk and many are glad they will be taking it first.

Could it be a ruse? Will (or are) some schools making these announcements to secure commitments and deposits knowing they may change their minds at the last minute? Will anyone really know if ND is purchasing all that PPE and so ramping up for in-person classes or rather getting ready for more virtual learning? Some schools are saying out loud, they are still planning for both outcomes and don't know yet. IMHO, I think that's the best course at this point. Crazy that everyone should have like a plan A, and also B, C, and D ready...

hykos1045 repped this.
  17. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SkaterGator

SkaterGator New Member

Sounders
    United States
    Jan 31, 2020
    Has anyone heard if an extra year of eligibility has been added to the CCAA program athletes that just had their fall season cancelled due to CV19?

19. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Seriously, if there’s a huge second wave or a massive outbreak in south bend, you think Notre dame officials will be welcoming thousands of kids to campus? If the state is in lockdown or stores and shops limited in opening? I don’t blame them one bit but we should all realize any announcements right now are just worthless and wishful thinking on a plan they hope will work.

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Their season was not cancelled. It is suspended and they plan to play it later in the year (winter or spring I assume). I don't know how they can do this with the NCAA tournament in the fall, but that is what they are saying.

21. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    sorry, should have been more clear. Someone else had asserted it was a “proposal,” it is not. It’s the plan, as it stands right now, it has moved passed the point of simply being talked about. But you’re right, will it happen? We don’t actually know.

22. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    The University President was on the Today show this morning, and he admitted that this was the plan assuming no outbreaks. They are going to plan to a fixed date, and adjust as needed. So as you so aptly paraphrased, wishful thinking.

23. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #348 PlaySimple, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    A D3 school, Ithaca College, in Ithaca, NY, is planning on starting back on October 5. Cornell University, also in Ithaca, is, as of now, planning to start as usual but is heavily reviewing protocols. Both schools are in an area of New York that has not been heavily affected by covid but both schools, Cornell in particular, draw students from a broad geographical range. It will be interesting to see what some of the larger schools in an around NYC intend to do. I'm particularly interested in what NYU and NYC's Ivy, Columbia University, are going to do.

Stanford has already stated that they expect a greater than normal number of classes to be online in the fall. The school has not yet stated anything about a calendar adjustment for the fall 2020 but has acknowledged that possibilities are still being reviewed.

Many schools including South Carolina, Purdue, Creighton, Rice, and Notre Dame, as Almost Done already stated above, will be ending face-to-face classes after Thanksgiving. This is largely being done to minimize the mass exit and return of students that are created by the Thanksgiving break. Additionally, there is another wave of covid expected in December and that will coincide with the traditional flu season.

I've not heard anything but I wouldn't see why the student athletes wouldn't be granted another season of eligibility.

This is all going to make the future of intercollegiate athletics very interesting.

Athletes at all schools and in all divisions that had their seasons canceled this past spring should have another season of eligibility. Some of those athletes are seniors that graduated and may be starting graduate school at another institution. If the graduate program that those athletes are pursing will give them the time to also participate in athletics, I would assume that some would do so. I see that same scenario playing out this upcoming year if athletes get their fall seasons canceled. There will also be a lot of spring sport athletes that will be graduating in the coming years that are going to have another season of eligibility when they graduate.

There have also been a lot of schools that have announced that programs are being cut. Women's soccer has been largely spared but there are men's soccer programs that have been cut, baseball, track and field, cross country, etc. Many of the athletes at those schools, particularly if they're freshmen and sophomores, will be looking at transferring. I'm not sure if the coaches of various sports will be licking their chops with the possible influx of unexpected athletes or if they'll be overwhelmed and confused. This is also going to be confusing for the athletes themselves in deciding what they should do. I see recruiting becoming very different in the coming years with a lot of new dynamics to consider.

Lastly, I can see more and more schools decide that athletics is just not that important and there will be the elimination of sports at many schools. I happen to believe that athletics is an important part of the collegiate experience for many students and it also affords many athletes the opportunity of an education at an institution that they might not have otherwise if they were not an athlete. Look at the many student athletes that are attending some of the Ivies and other Tier 1 schools in all divisions. Athletics opened the door of those schools for many athletes.

ping, SuperHyperVenom and HeadSpun repped this.
  24. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, athletics opens the door to certain occupations, perhaps, that aren't really covered in the actual classroom so well. People are career-long coaches, or SID's, or fill in the blank with other things.

You bring up Cornell. I went to college initially kind of near Dartmouth, but my uncle went to Cornell. It sounds like conferences aren't saying too much on this matter. What's the Ivy League's plan at this point? And what are national championships going to look like? Certain conferences just not participating.

I hate not being able to watch NCAA sports, but offseasons in sports are always a blast for me, and this is, in a sense, such a thing.

25. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Again ... CCAA has not cancelled the soccer season. It has suspended it, with optimism to play at another time during the academic year.

CCAA SUSPENDS NCAA COMPETITION FOR FALL 2020

CCAA member institutions have determined that NCAA sport competition will not occur during the fall of 2020. The CCAA member institutions will continue to advocate strongly to maintain NCAA championship opportunities for all of our student-athletes, including our fall sports, during the 2020-21 academic year and recommend competition resume when it is safe and appropriate to do so for all of its members. Additional information regarding plans for athletics in fall and spring will be communicated as soon as it becomes available.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.