The "Corona" Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My understanding is that it is all budget related. Big East schools are all private catholic schools that expect drops in enrollment and geographically are spread out East to midwest. Not only in covid hotspot areas but also complicating travel, so my understanding is they were cancelling all fall sports championships for budget reasons.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you have heard, it does not mean the Big East is canceling all Fall sports.

3. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

Curious what you wanted the federal government to do differently. They control national policy, but certainly with the vast differences in the US, a one size fits all would be silly [just like most federal programs- one size doesn't work].

Letting states make decisions that are best for their states is clearly the best policy.

The federal government should make decisions that benefit all the states - such as border control and flow of people into/ out of the country.

They can suggest best practices and help with critical infrastructure ( such as converting convention centers into hospitals and bring hospital ships closer to where they might be needed. They can also utilize military medical personnel to help with different areas of the country that need support.

They can work with national businesses to increase production of certain PPE and incentivize businesses to change the products they make to manufacture things like ventilators.

The federal government can use their NIH and CDC and encourage private companies to develop an accurate test(s) and then once those are developed they can get those mass produced. They can work with those same institutes to streamline the approval process for treatments and vaccines.
    The federal government can also try to be a voice of optimism and try to counteract the pessimism of the national media.

O - Damn - The federal government did all those things......

hmmm

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #279 PoetryInMotion, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    I never said that. Perhaps I should have been more specific: Big East is cancelling their conference tournament.

they won’t be alone. Big Sky announced cancellation of women’s soccer tournament, but is keeping a volleyball tournament with a reduced field: https://bigskyconf.com/news/2020/5/...s-to-2020-21-schedules-and-championships.aspx

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Heard the ACC is going to a 4 team tournament instead of 8. I was told this was happening before corona though

6. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 23 CSU (Cal State University) schools just learned that there will be no students on campus this fall. If the NCAA's prior statements stand, this means that all Fall 2020 sports will be cancelled as well.

For D1 Women's Soccer, this affects the Big West and WAC conferences. I imagine this will put pressure on the UC (Univ of CA) system to announce plans soon, which will have an impact on the Pac-12 and West Coast conferences.

From LA Times:
    ... The 23-campus California State University system plans to all but cancel in-person classes in the fall and instead will offer instruction primarily online, Chancellor Timothy White announced Tuesday.

The vast majority of classes across the Cal State system will be taught online, White said, with some limited exceptions that allow for in-person activity. The decision comes as schools throughout the country grapple with how long to keep campuses closed amid the coronavirus crisis.

“Our university when open without restrictions and fully in person… is a place where over 500,000 people come together in close and vibrant proximity,” White said at a meeting of Cal State’s Board of Trustees. “That approach sadly just isn’t in the cards now.”

White’s announcement came the same day that infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, told a Senate panel it would be “a bridge too far” to think treatments or vaccines could be available in time to facilitate students’ reentry into schools this fall.

7. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Some students will be on campus. Limited classes and students will be happening. Which most CSU presidents have been preparing for. Sports are planning on having their athletes as those included in that so sports will happen.

Expect same announcement for UC system within the week. (Transition to online with limited students and faculty happening in person). I heard it is imminent.

But remember this is all fluid.

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you have heard, it does not mean the Big East is canceling all Fall sports.
    I think there still is a question about the exact meaning of "all but" and how that relates to what the NCAA has said so far. It seems like you are right, but we do not know how much wiggle room there is going to be related to sports -- from either the schools or the NCAA.

10. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r New Member

FC Cincinnati
    United States
    May 11, 2019
    I can’t imagine the NCAA signing off on such a scenario as this. There would be too much liability requiring only certain students (athletes) on campus attending in person classes.

11. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It would certainly be a complicated scenario. If all of the Fall 2020 athletes are among the (or the only?) students taking classes on campus, the school would need to be able to provide a (somewhat) safe environment for all of the staffing including professors, administrative, facilities upkeep, etc.

The choice and schedule of the on campus classes offered will also be tricky. With limited on campus students, it will not be possible to offer a wide selection of on campus classes. For upperclassmen/women, many of their couses are specific to the degree they are working toward. Will all of them be available? Will NCAA have a requirement that a student who is living on campus or participating in athletics also be attending on campus classes, or will many of the athletes be enrolled in on line classes while living on campus?

It's a challenging situation no matter what is decided.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Athletes would be in their nice apts still taking on line classes. Maybe eating delivered meals. But they will come out to train and play. NO Question that some schools will want to try this and push for fall sports, with all these conditions, even on a delayed basis. Maybe entire conferences will try it. Going to be some crazy "survival mode" stuff out there in a crazy year. The Cal St decision seems to early for me.

Massive pressure on the UC system though and that affects big time football. USC would have their hand forced then you assume? They are opening in FB with Alabama at the Cowboys Stadium in TX and I think they have one of the largest populations of international students in the US.

This is the first day I've felt physically terrible about the possibility of not having fall sports.

13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...erican-conference-postseason-cuts/3121176001/

"...Nine other sports — most notably basketball — will feature abbreviated postseason tournaments in the 12-team conference."

"...The plan covers four years and will be evaluated as the economic impact of the coronavirus unfolds. Additional reductions will be made in the overall postseason budget."

Maybe the tournaments for lesser profile sports in these lower conferences are marginally profitable or even unprofitable (funded by BB and football) and the pandemic impact has forced these decisions to be finally faced.

PlaySimple repped this.
  15. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    If the decision is between cutting the program or eliminating the conference tournament, I know which choice my student athlete would make

USsoccerguy repped this.
  16. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thank you for posting the link to that article. It's a better article than the one that I posted.

If conference tournaments are all that are lost then it's not a big deal. Adding regular season games, where feasible, is a better option anyway.

I am remaining optimistic that there will be collegiate sports in the fall though I will admit that my optimism is waning somewhat when I see what some of the conferences are doing. The biggest crush on my optimism came from what the D2 conference CCAA is doing by canceling the entire fall season of athletics. I believe that it is too early to make that call but conferences are already in limbo and I can understand that they're doing what they deem to be necessary. I'm with sledhead in that I would rather see there be some sort of a modified season than no season at all and most athletes, particularly seniors, would probably want that as well.

Despite the president's words this week that the "virus will go away without a vaccine," that isn't going to happen. It's just his usual empty rhetoric and is akin to what he said in the early days of the virus when there were only 15 documented cases in the States and he said the virus would miraculously disappear by April. Since a vaccine will not be here in time for a fall season, the next best hope is that we reach the herd immunity threshold by the fall. That isn't going to happen either. These are more reasons for my waning optimism.

On the subject of herd immunity and vaccines, this is an interesting article that I read today: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/without-a-vaccine-herd-immunity-wont-save-us/

HeadSpun repped this.
  17. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I don’t know if I was a player if I would want a shortened season. Maybe if you took away 2-3 games then maybe. If you are talking about cutting the season in half or only playing 10-14 games I think it would rather sit out and not waste a year

18. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    You are assuming the shortened season would be a 1 year thing. I am not so sure.

19. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    If this lasts multiple years then it wont matter. There wont be programs to play at anyway. So many schools will shut down and those open aren’t going to be paying coaching staffs to play 10 games a year

20. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others here likely have read articles about the now financial challenges facing colleges of all sizes. Here is one about three typical NJ state universities. Two are Division 3 and one, NJIT, is Division 1.

https://www.nj.com/education/2020/0...s-pandemic-continues-to-slam-nj-colleges.html

"Rowan (University) is considering everything from temporary budget reductions to long-term austerity measures to cope with the anticipated slashed funding."

These are the types of colleges that a majority of NJ kids attend who continue their athletic careers in college. They could be facing sport program reductions/eliminations, including for scholarships and other aid.

21. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I apologize for being off topic and maybe out of line but I have never in my life seen such terrible leadership as I have from trump. I was hoping for him to step up and lead us and it’s been a disaster. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in the past but this has been horrid. He has no plan, no leadership chops to organize and inspire and no ability to take data and smart people around him and make a good decision.

Even with the best leader this would be unimaginably bad but with him it’s a catastrophe.
    I’m shocked, angry, and horrified that even in an awful situation we don’t have a competent president

22. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are off topic but you're not out of line. What you're saying is 100% spot on.

Trump's leadership through all of this has been terrible. There is no plan for anything. The country does need to get the economy going again but much of what the president has done from the beginning has actually undermined that. To be sure, it would be a tough situation for anyone but it would be hard to imagine a more incompetent person in the oval office during this time than what we now have. It's a shame.

HeadSpun, SuperHyperVenom and blissett repped this.
  23. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I have always preferred not to mix soccer and politics if at all possible. Maybe it's not possible sometimes. I am guilty of venting on the forum as well but I prefer to at least pretend we can all like and respect each other. Everyone gets to advocate for their perspectives and policy preferences in what ever forums they wish (like pushing for the newest relief bill that includes funding for higher ed). IMHO even a campaign tee shirt or flier kinda ruins the environment of a soccer game.

So,
    if Cal St is one end of college sports, right now LSU Football may be the other. Going to be a crazy summer.

LSU plans June 1 return for athletes, Scott Woodward says
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_05e5f772-9579-11ea-8e62-1b30ee16b63d.html

24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Akron eliminates 3 sports. Soccers not among those sports being let go. Also includes reductions in salaries, scholarships, and operating budgets. https://gozips.com/news/2020/5/14/general-redesigning-the-univeristy-of-akron-athletics-update.aspx. Saves them $4.4 million, which is about 23% of their department budget which I guess isn't a surprising figure for a mid-major MAC program that has football.

Expecting to see more departments doing similar $ reductions and hoping not as many making decisions to eliminate sports programs.

25. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't see how the elimination of those 3 sports would amount to nearly a quarter of the athletic budget.

I checked the UA athletic website and the men's sports are football, basketball, baseball, XC, golf, track and field, soccer, and rifle. The women compete in basketball, XC, golf, lacrosse, rifle, soccer, softball, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball. The 3 sports being eliminated, men's XC, men's golf, and women's tennis, account for about 16% of the number of sports. I don't see how those three minor sports make up 23% of the athletic department budget. Something doesn't add up there.

This is a little off topic and pertains to men's soccer bu with the MAC eliminating the post season tournament I wouldn't be surprised if the Akron men's soccer team becomes independent. Normally the team is one of the best in the country, last year's disastrous season notwithstanding, and there have been years that the team needed the post season tournament. Two years ago the men made the final 4 for the College Cup but if they hadn't won the MAC tournament there was a possibility that they may not have had an at-large bid. Eliminating the post season tournament isn't a horrible idea but if it stays that way the MAC men may want to go to playing each team in the conference twice since there are only six teams in the conference.