The "Corona" Season 2020-21 (v. 2)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Aug 14, 2020.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    They entered a contract Eddie. That is voluntary. No one forced them into a contract. They can also quit at any time. Stop with the woe is me - these poor college athletes. Covid affected us all.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  2. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    With the added year of NCAA eligibility, there may be some players who play after they get the bachelors degree. Is it possible for them pursue a masters degree and still receive an athletic scholarship?

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Yes it is. As long as they are on the team that season they can get a scholarship (masters or undergrad).

outside63 repped this.
  4. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    John cook (women’s volleyball, Nebraska) started asking why the women’s vball tourney was cut to 48 teams while men’s and women’s basketball stayed at 64. It’s getting some traction. The ncaa looks so bad right now with the inequality between men’s and women’s basketball tournaments..I’d love more pressure by soccer coaches and athletes as well. Cutting the tournament to 48 for soccer stinks. It’s either revenue driven (which the ncaa denies) or about the student athlete experience (which the ncaa espouses) sooooooo

Soccerguy1022, outside63 and ytrs repped this.
  5. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    The NCAA only cares about football and basketball. If they could get rid of all the other sports, they would. Their obliviousness to soccer has already caused men's college soccer to become irrelevant in the world of men's soccer and they are on the way to making women's college soccer irrelevant.

6. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I meant to say the NCAA only cares about football and MEN'S basketball.

7. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    So, it looks like Notre Dame got into the Men's Ice Hockey tournament as the last at-large team when St. Lawrence had to withdraw due to their coach testing covid positive. So ND arrive at Albany and have a positive test and now its too late for another team to get in so BC advances via forfeit.

Stories will be told about this covid crazy year for a long time. Hopefully, we do get through both basketball tournaments without any more of this.

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Notre-Dame-out-of-NCAA-hockey-regional-Boston-16053078.php

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  9. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017

They cannot legally require someone to obtain a vaccination that is not FDA approved. I will tear that apart in court.

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I've heard that as well but I don't have many details on this example. You have to assume that since Rutgers is the State College of NJ that they've run this by their State Legislature and legal teams. These colleges are also a big big business. So it will be interesting to see how many residential colleges make the vaccine required to attend in-person classes and/or to live on campus. Clearly, many will continue to provide an on-line option and just tell folks, "you can choose to live at home and take our virtual classes". Big State schools will have those resources but the little privates may not. I think the vaccine requirement will be attractive to some students/families for those schools and for some, it may not be. You'll see a little "v" or something in the college guides now if a school requires the covid vaccine.

At the school I'm most familiar with, you can't register for in-person classes until you provide proof of having the recommended CDC immunizations. So, as soon as a covid vaccine become CDC/FDA approved, it will just be added to the list. Until then, it will be interesting to observe.

I did find this quote and also the number 71,000 total students across all Rutgers campuses.
    Brian Strom, chancellor of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and executive vice president for health affairs, said the vaccine is the key “to the return of campus instruction and activities closer to what we were accustomed to before the pandemic.”

11. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    all 3 of the vaccines have been approved by the FDA...

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #512 Eddie K, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    The 3 Covid vaccines are approved under an Emergency Use Authorization policy. Explained in the link below. If you go to the 2nd link showing approved and "licensed" vaccines for the US market, they will not be listed. It's impossible to know any long-term effects for a vaccine produced for a virus that's only about 1 year old. The vaccines have clearly only been in widespread use for a few months.

The issue of who or what schools, businesses, airlines, the NCAA, etc. will be able to require a vaccine under such an EUA will be one of the issues of 2021, or even 2022. Other countries are already issuing a covid vaccine "passport". I think you're going to start seeing things like bracelets so when you see someone without a mask, they wave you the vaccine bracelet.

I understand those that are skeptical but I think if you ask college-age kids, who are mostly adults, if they would rather have a single room with masking and distancing and virtual classes or take the vaccine? Going to likely be phrased as something like trading the vaccine for your masks. I guess we're going to see.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/emergency-use-authorization-vaccines-explained

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/vaccines-licensed-use-united-states

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    A FEMA truck and crew showed up on the campus I'm familiar with to vaccinate students with the 1-shot J&J vaccine this week. Still voluntary but happening while various teams are still on covid "pauses" now and then when cases pop up. Very many sports schedules are a mess in just about every sport. Look at what's happening to the Vancover NHL team right now. And they are pros with endless resources.

Below is a list from The Chronicle of schools announcing requiring the vaccine for Fall residential enrollment so far. I think many schools are just doing the math - trading an expensive testing regime with half capacity campuses (due to single rooms and distanced classrooms) for a free vaccine and potential full Fall enrollment. It's a no-brainer in terms of safety and financial viability. How many colleges will not survive another year like this after the federal money dries up?

If a school is going to only make the vaccine recommended, or a Governor like the Florida one, is claiming the requirement is a privacy violation and will create a 2-tiered society, I'm curious about those consequences. Are we going to keep treating everyone like they don't have the vaccine? So, half capacity dorms and classes, concert halls, cruise ships, and Everyone still in masks, etc. How are people that get vaccinated going to react to being treated like they don't have it? How do you trade the vaccine for a mask if you don't know who has the vaccine? The virus is definitely still out there and these variants seem to affect younger people more than in the last surges. This is the vaccine solution "warp speed" started by a govt run by R's and now implemented by D's - and paid for by all of us. And the current Fed govt is not proposing the use of a national vaccine card or passport. They are allowing the States and businesses to decide this issue. A teenager I know well is getting vaccinated and looking for colleges that will required it. He wants normal.
    The NCAA and every conference in the country is thinking about vaccine requirements right now. Going to be interesting.

Here’s a List of Colleges That Will Require Students to Be Vaccinated Against Covid-19

By Andy Thomason
    [Last updated: 4/7/2021, 3:59 p.m.]

As colleges look toward the fall-2021 semester, they’re grappling with whether to require — or just strongly encourage — students to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Here’s a list of institutions that have decided to require students to be vaccinated in order to enroll in person this fall:

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not going to keep posting this list but it is growing. I do think it's fair for schools to make a decision before May 1 - the traditional deposit or 'decision day' for Fall enrollment.

There are very active discussions going on about this issue from Governor's Offices and State Legislatures down to conference offices, Governing Boards, the NCAA, and campus faculty committees. Some States have very conflicting views on this. Will an entire conference like the Ivy decide on this before the NCAA? I think that's likely. Going to be interesting.

Here’s a list of institutions that have decided to require students to be vaccinated in order to enroll this fall:

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    The list of schools requiring fall vaccines is growing rapidly. The Cal System said they are requiring the vaccine pending it becoming fully authorized by the FDA. That's a lawyer talking. There is a vaccine resistance group suing Princeton and Rutgers over their Fall requirement right now.
    So, again, if a school does not require the vaccine and there is still virus in the community - are schools going to require masks, single rooms, half-sized classes etc.? Are schools in states like Texas and Florida and Iowa going to drop masking and distancing without knowing who or if any students have the vaccine?
    Big big issue for summer and fall.

ALSO - update from the NCAA on Spring Championships - Up to 50% capacity at outdoor venue's as long as local authorities allow it. AND still requiring testing protocol, even if vaccinated, BUT someone vaccinated does not have to quarantine. So, it's possible that teams in the Spring championships could get virus cases but the vaccinated teammates won't have to quarantine, and so could still play. Basketball was harsh since it was an indoor 'high risk' sport. So the odds of having spring outdoor tournaments run basically as scheduled, seems pretty good. But there is still virus out there. As I write this, 2 good spring teams near me are in a "pause" and not sure if they will play in their NCAA tournaments.

Hainline shared that, effective for the next four to six weeks at minimum, the COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group would not consider recommending changes in COVID-19 testing strategies for championships. This means that fully vaccinated individuals will continue the same testing protocol as those who are not vaccinated, but they will not be required to quarantine after a high contact risk exposure. Individuals who are within a 90-day window of infection remain exempt from testing and quarantine recommendations. The COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group will reevaluate testing protocols after this four- to six-week period. Hainline suggested it is likely changes to the summer and fall COVID-19 testing guidelines for schools will be based on herd immunity status and local infection rates. The sport transmission risk classification might be greatly simplified.

Hainline also addressed fan attendance for the remaining outdoor championships and fall championships moved to this spring. The COVID-19 Medical Advisory Group recommended predetermined championship sites follow the guidelines established by the respective state and local authorities. The group recommended venue capacity for outdoor championship events could rise to no more than 50% capacity if permitted by those governmental authorities.

Heeligan2 and cpthomas repped this.
  16. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Unfortunately, this is not quite over.
    NC State baseball is the latest example. Several other spring tournament teams had covid issues. Pro soccer and hockey teams had recent issues. One Olympic team is already in quarantine after arriving in Japan.

The summer NCAA update pushed out the magic number of an 85% vaccination rate to avoid the covid mitigation and testing measures that had been in place in the Spring. But apparently does not want to mandate a vaccine requirement.

Question is - how do you know you're at 85% if you aren't collecting the vaccine data? How would you get to 85% without a vaccine requirement?

That master list of colleges requiring the vaccine has some major geographic holes in it around the US. No States are at the 85% rate and very few counties or college towns will be in August without that requirement. Some States are not allowing the requirement or even any specific verification. Cruise industry fighting this in Florida. Indiana Univ has been sued about the requirement. It's nearly too late to start a 2-shot vaccine and be ready for the d1 soccer preseason in early August.

Are we really going to keep up with the masks and testing requirements and single rooms and such at colleges that don't require the vaccine or can't verify they are at the 85% threshold?
    Are vaccinated college students/athletes going to have to mask up and do more testing because they're at a school that chose not to, or is not allowed to, confirm they've been vaccinated?
    Are we going to have vaccinated teams not testing playing unvaccinated teams that still are testing and contact tracing leading to postponements and cancellations?

outside63, Heeligan2 and hykos1045 repped this.
  17. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Found a decent summary of where we are at this point. And from a Florida paper. I have a strong feeling conferences are going to require schools to know what athletes are vaccinated or not and then will continue some testing/mitigation policies for those not vaccinated. NO WAY schools are going to spend money on testing and covid protocols for vaccinated athletes for some political reasons. Lots of questions remain though - is the 85% immunization threshold going to apply to athletes, the on-campus population, or the campus community? There are going to be LOTS of college towns/counties that don't get to 85% by Aug/Sept. and entire States are not allowing their colleges to require vaccines or even confirm who's had them. Will be interesting to see how schools navigate that. I'm quite sure coaches, officials, ATs, even bus drivers and equipment folks will want to know who's vaccinated or at least how many are.

COVID challenges still lurk on horizon for college sports
    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...0210630-icn76nawjzfltdzvecaba74v3e-story.html

outside63 repped this.
  18. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid paywall.

Fall will be interesting, for sure,. I have usually gone to a lot of college matches locally (and occasionally out of town). I hope for a good season soon.

I did seem to notice that the schedule for the cycle of championships is all TBA for location. I was looking forward to a couple Sacramento trips in the mid '20's. Even without an MLS SSS.

19. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Found a good article below regarding the status of college vaccine requirements. Basically, there's going to be more chaos at many schools. Already I read that Boston Univ and Northeastern are requiring covid testing for all residential students. Citing the different vaccines that many international students have gotten as one reason. Those are the first schools I've heard going beyond the CDC recommendations.

In other areas of the country, it's turned into a political football. Several court cases could change some of these policies, that is, a school's ability to enforce them. The school I'm familiar with won't let kids move in unless they have the vaccine or an approved exemption. Not sure exactly if they will treat the unvaccinated kids differently, in terms of single rooms, masking, etc. Spreading those kids out rather than segregating them may actually be the better strategy on a residential campus - another point of discussion many places, and I'd bet very many schools have not worked this out just yet.

Regarding Fall sports, it seems the NCAA is just going to defer to conferences and school and local policies so lots of the questions I've posed recently in this thread are still in play. Going to be very inconsistent in many areas of the country to even determine the vaccination/immunity threshold of a team/athletic dept/campus population. I have a feeling the NCAA is going to change it's tune on the vaccine requirements come basketball season....just a guess.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...vaccination-mandates-facing-pushback-n1273916

Val1 and Heeligan2 repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Eddie K repped this.
  21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Thank God and thank you for sharing. This story is on the AP wire and will be everywhere today.

Someone put a flier on my front door this weekend likening covid and the govt response to devil worship and some master plan to control our lives. Mentioning the chip implants, dna alteration, and just about every conspiracy out there.

I'm really happy to live in a democracy that permits free speech and promotes entrepreneurship, but I've become sooo disappointed during this pandemic to learn what people will believe and promote as gospel (ok, that started around 2016). Unfortunately, some of those people are going to get really sick. Just not at the colleges and universities that want to protect students with vaccines. This quote is from the judge. We may literally watch what happens at some colleges who won't require or even confirm that students get vaccinated.

"The judge said the students who object to receiving the vaccine shots can seek medical and religious exemptions offered by the university, while also having the option of taking the fall semester off or attending another school."

Sledhead repped this.
  22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #522 Eddie K, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Okay, I think this is when 'the rubber meets the road".
    Today, the SEC commissioner Sankey, some say the most powerful person in college football, has said the SEC will not be rescheduling covid-postponed games and wants to remove the covid roster minimums to compete.
    So, to be clear-
    -any teams "Tier 1" personnel, players and coaches, need to be at an 85% vaccine/immunization threshold to avoid the NCAA Covid protocols - testing and indoor masking, contact tracing, etc.
    -the NCAA and the SEC don't have a vaccine mandate, and most of the SEC schools won't have a mandate for the general student population
    -only 6 of 14 SEC football teams report they have reached the 85% threshold

That means if there's an NC State or Yankees type outbreak during the SEC season, games will be forfeit and not rescheduled. This will certainly be true for other sports as well.

The SEC just deferred and let the pressure fall right on the schools and coaches now to get their kids vaccinated or face the possibility of losing games. (Oh, and allow kids to get sick and spread the virus when it's avoidable, which of course is their main concern.)

ps- these SEC meetings are being held in AL, a State with one of the worst vaccine rates in the US. Only 34% fully vaccinated.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ey-says-covid-concerns-lead-rescheduled-games

Cliveworshipper and cpthomas repped this.
  23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Eddie, for the post and link.

Now we get to find out which matters more in SEC states: our freedom or our football. I know where I would put my money.:whistling:

Eddie K repped this.
  24. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    It’s insanity that here we are 16 months after this started and after shutting down the world for A YEAR and people are dragging their feet to end it.
    insanity.

Eddie K, Sledhead and ytrs repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    With multi million dollar bonus clauses in head coaches contracts at risk, SEC teams will be fully vaccinated.
    :whistling:

Eddie K repped this.