The "Corona" Season 2020-21 (v. 2)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Aug 14, 2020.

1. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    It’s really interesting how many people don’t seem to understand that you can still carry the virus and pass onto people even if you’re vaccinated. I saw a “frontline essential worker” talking about how excited she is now that she is vaccinated and she can go see her parents without being worried. Amazing..

Now, just like school, outdoor events like soccer should be opened for the public to attend with masking and proper distancing. Plenty of evidence that show it can be done safely. My nephew thankfully goes to a private school so he’s been going to school for months now with no issues at that school. It’s politics and not so bright people that are ruining for the majority

sockerdad06 repped this.
  2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Does anyone have any facts about post-infection or post-vaccine spread or re-infection rates??
    It's very unlikely that research has been done already. So, while you MAY be reinfected or still spread the virus post-infection or post-vaccine, the evidence about rates/likelihood is not there yet. There's an AP article out today about virus variants and reinfection that cites a US Marine study that showed at 10% reinfection rate (19 of 189) without accounting for these more aggressive variants. The study did say all the reinfections were very mild or without any symptoms but I didn't read the details (curious if they used masks and distancing measures or just operated as usual to see if there were reinfections.)

At the school I'm familiar with, so far that number is 0 out of about 150. No reinfections of past positives from the Fall. Of course, no athletes have the vaccine yet.

It's been documented with other viruses that immunity does diminish over time from infection or a vaccine. So, there likely will be a covid booster that accounts for the variants as well and that could become annual (it is like the flu in many respects). Flu vaccines also protect from severe infection but not from spread btw. BUT we are dealing with a vaccine that is one of the most effective ever created. More effective than almost all of the CDC recommended vaccines that nearly every school kid takes.

IMHO - if you are outside with masks and distancing, at 50% capacity or whatever that requires, we should be able to watch outdoor games in person. Maybe we'll see a special section for post-infection or vaccinated folks.

The partying after in Tampa and UNC last weekend - that's another issue - but does have to be accounted for.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #453 Cliveworshipper, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    I understand what you’re saying but only people around here to get vaccinated are over 70 years old and also, even if you get the vaccination doesn’t mean you can’t get the virus or pass it on to others so your thought doesn’t hold water IMO.[/QUOTE]

Here in Oregon about 75,000 have been fully vaccinate. Of that number, very few of those are people over 70 not in nursing homes. Even my friends over 80 haven’t been vaccinated yet. Oregon just opened up vaccination to people over 80 (1A) yesterday.
    Priority has been given to first responders and health care workers, prisons, and native Americans and communities hardest hit. I’m fine with that.
    The other group that got priority was legislators, including congressmen and senators. I’m less ok with that. They might have better incentive to see to proper distribution if they took the same risks everyone else has to.

Oregon only began vaccinating people over 80 (1B) not in one of those groups yesterday, so if there were limited attendance tomorrow, there would be no 70 year olds in the crowd unless they were first responders or Heath care workers or government officials.

I’m 73 and my doctors tell me my spot in the Qeue is still a couple months out, though the State promises I’m eligible in 2 weeks. The reality is someone over 70 with other risks( everyone over 70 I know has some mitigating risk) is not going to sporting events until it’s safe, and that’s a pretty big portion of the thorns fan base and especially the more expensive seats. Seating will absolutely not be to capacity for this year. The State of Oregon will limit attendance to 25% until the pandemic is over. Right now there is NO attendance at sporting events. The Thorns have a choice who they want that 25% to be, and I’m guseeing maximizing revenue will be a consideration.

they nicely asked me what it would take to get me back in their club level revenue stream and that was my suggestion.

as to water holding, the idea that you just throw everyone together and let Darwin sort it out doesn’t hold water either. they can decide to incentivize getting vaccinated or they can spike Covid cases with unprotected gatherings. If everyone at an event is vaccinated they are all safer. That’s what vaccination is about. There is no risk of giving a disease to unvaccinated people if they aren’t there.
    The risk happens when unvaccinated people gather. They are more of a risk to others and to themselves.

it’s not an unheard of idea. It turns out that is essentially what the Supebowl folks just did Sunday.
    The folks in the stands were vaccinated health care workers.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To date:

From conferences that played their conference schedules in the Fall, the following show up with no Spring games:

Florida State
    Syracuse
    Kentucky
    From conferences that are playing their conference schedules in the Spring, a couple of teams often in the NCAA Tournament picture show up with no Spring non-conference games:

UCF
    California​

5. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Cal campus has some in a covid lockdown right now. The outdoor exercise things does seem pretty excessive. Some sports are up and running it looks but not sure if they all are. There was a training pic on IG last week.

I'm curious what the competitive covid protocols will look like for soccer? Can you cancel if you don't have a gk? Will there be a roster number minimum or just team by team discretion? The announcements are sometimes strange as well. Some say games rescheduled with no reason and others say "due to covid protocols". Will be interesting. Especially if Spring could come early! Weather Channel just said 40% of the US will be snow covered this week. Ice storm in Texas! ECNL event canceled. Crazy times.

https://apnews.com/article/california-coronavirus-pandemic-917ba20d0a2f81e1f33de373dc1bd85f

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Through today, February 11, I have recorded 21 previously scheduled games that did not get played, not counting ones that already have been re-scheduled:

11 due to Covid
    7 due to weather
    1 due to field conditions
    2 for reasons unknown​

7. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    USC got to play in the Coliseum today against BYU. Pretty freaking cool.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All Usc home games will be there in a 90000 seat venue with no fans or family all season
    But yes,still cool

9. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Why are they are in the coliseum?

Glove Stinks repped this.
  10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They are there because they share a field with lacrosse. Usc has the coli doing nothing so that where they go so they don’t overuse the pitch at McAllister

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Spring Soccer is going really well so far! Where is Spring??

2233soccer repped this.
  13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is just not that surprising to me. Students can't be counted on for doing the right thing. That said, if all of this was going on when I was that age, I am not sure what my behavior would have been like. I'm sure that I would have been tempted to go to parties, etc, and more than likely, I would have. I'm sure that it is very difficult for students to restrain themselves. Student-athletes, on the other hand, should probably be held to a higher standard if they expect to participate in intercollegiate athletics. I really commend those students that are restraining themselves through all of this. It has been very fatiguing for everyone and those kids show a lot of strength and willpower - better than that of many older adults.

Meanwhile, in Ohio, buffet lines and salad bars have reopened. Yuck! Thanks but no thanks! Restaurants being open is one thing. But buffet lines? Really?

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
  16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not seeing UNC with any games, either.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although UNC has not posted its Spring schedule yet, other teams have posted Spring schedules showing games against UNC. Kentucky now is showing up with one game (v Mississippi). On the other hand, Florida State and Syracuse are not showing up on any other Spring schedules. Someone posted, on the Florida State thread, that they had heard FSU will not be playing any counting Spring games. I have heard nothing about Syracuse one way or the other. (This is as of yesterday.)

If you want to see all Division 1 team schedules, you can get them at 2020 Women’s Soccer Schedule (presented by All White Kit). On the linked page, simply click on a team name and you will go to a page with the team schedule, to date. If you are not familiar with this website, use the Information drop down menu to navigate to its various pages. It is a great resource, courtesy of Chris Henderson.

socalsoccer23 and Val1 repped this.
  18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Syracuse only has 15 kids on their spring roster so that's probably why they're electing not to play. A few of them are seniors so who knows if they elected to play or not or to come back next year. Looks like they have 8 others coming for next fall so hopefully they can pull off having a fall roster next season.

cpthomas repped this.
  19. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    Does anyone have a link to the database that Chris runs for D-1 in terms of schedule, RPI, ARPI etc?

20. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2020 College Women's Soccer Schedule For the schedule itself, go to one of the two composite schedule pages.

21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a little early, with only 590 games played so far for the 2020-21 season, but it appears that home field advantage is bigger than usual: In a net 4.3% of games, home teams have done better than their ratings say they should -- either winning or tieing games they statistically should have lost.

If this holds up, it will not be surprising. If visiting teams are trying to avoid overnight stays, then they are traveling to the game site, then playing a game, then returning home, all in the same day.

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Travel is huge. Virginia opened the year at Duke, driving down Thursday morning for the game and then heading back that night. It's a little over 3 hours from C'ville to Durham. Then on Saturday they drove to Clemson, literally right past where they were just 36 hours prior. It's about 6.5 hours to Clemson. Needless to say, they got spanked at Clemson.

In a normal year, the team would have left for Durham on Wednesday night, played the game and slept in Durham on Thursday, drove to Clemson on Friday, spent the night and played the game Saturday.

In NCAA hoops the home teams, as of February 6th, were winning at a 73% clip. Before last weekend I looked at just ACC games and the home team won 70% of their games.

One anecdote from hoops, the Georgia Tech men's basketball team had to eat their post game dinner in the Virginia stadium, literally on the hardwood, following the game because of travel protocols.

23. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I can assure you this is happening all across the country. Teams can't eat in very many restaurants and can't eat on the bus. So, if there isn't a large enough classroom or meeting room available, lots of teams are eating their delivery in gyms, in stadiums, even sitting on the sidewalk. I know a lacrosse team that is traveling with a big van loaded only with tables and chairs so they can literally sit outside and eat anywhere.
    Covid times are crazy.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  24. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    If you need another example that covid is still here and a big deal, read the example below. I really thought military academies would be particularly unlikely to have outbreaks but here you go. Of course, once the virus gets into a "bubble" on a team or campus, it can still spread quickly. Navy will be on "pause" another week and it affects all sports. Their MBB team was already segregated and still playing but then lost their #1 seed vs #9 Patriot Conf game and so doesn't look like they will be dancing. Even Navy was after that cbs money...

https://www.capitalgazette.com/spor...0210310-f2fwouxq7fgjlnla4szr5lflsm-story.html

https://navysports.com/news/2021/3/...ics-events-postponed-through-the-weekend.aspx