The "Corona" Season 2020-21 (v. 2)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Aug 14, 2020.

1. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    and that the players want to play/ compete. they recognize their clock is ticking

2. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

This is another STUPID and IGNORANT take. This pandemic was made political by Democrats and the media....... just look around?

Very early on, the president shit down some travel from China and was called a xenophobe and racist by Biden and many other liberals. Nancy Pelosi said we should be out mingling in China town.

The president took steps on things to deal with the pandemic........ as we are seeing across the world, you can't eliminate it, but can treat as to not be overwhelmed.

So just look at the state responses to C19. They are split along ideology.

Look at Pac12 and Big10 football shutting down - mostly liberal run states. WHY?

so get your head out of your ............... Sand?

Louisvillereferee repped this.
  3. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    So I heard whispers that the schools playing this fall will not honor the extra year scholarships for their players. I guess a few admins have said since you’re getting a fall season (and maybe spring) we won’t honor an extra year money wise. (A la Wisconsin last spring).

It makes sense but just curious if anyone else heard that.

4. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    that will be an individual school decision.

5. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    It’s why the transfer portal is currently full of grad transfers, and will continue to be. But yeah, school by school decision.

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    and coach decision. Some coaches have their 2021 classes full and don’t have roster space to bring their seniors back for another season. Some coaches are also bringing seniors back and de committing some of the 2021 class because they don’t have the scholarship for them. It’s kind of down to if the institutions will have more than 14 scholarships for 1 year (some do, some don’t), and if the coaches want to bring in their 2021 class and move the seniors on, or not honor the scholarship offer to a 2021 in order to bring seniors back. We will see both sides of this coin.

7. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020
    I'm really sorry to hear about your 2020. I apologize if I've created any additional stress in your life.

Val1 repped this.
  8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hi, public health epidemiologist here. No, he and his administration did not take even the most basic steps called for in the response. No testing plan, still. No plan for supplying ppe, still. Constant lying about status of vaccines and drugs, still. The federal response has been historically incompetent. Just my highly informed two cents.

outside63, ytrs, Sledhead and 3 others repped this.
  9. ACrom

ACrom Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Apr 10, 2020
    Exactly. I just watched Biden on CNN saying we wouldn’t have had single person die from the Covid if it wasn’t for Trump. I’m so mad

10. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    Two problems, you watched CNN and believe Biden would have done better. The guy is a puppet and unfit to be president. Guy doesn’t even know where he is half the time. He definitely has early stages of dementia. Sad but true.

11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FIFY

HeadSpun, sweepsit, ytrs and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    Typical democrat, twisting words to promote your unjust causes. Nice try there playsimple, I mean Simpleminded

13. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ^ Typical dolt....big words, tough guy.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So here's a silver lining to the coronavirus cloud: early season injuries. I'm just thinking of a pair of UVa seniors who've been injured. Taryn Torres has not played at all and Anna Sumpter, mid way through her second game of the season, pulled something. If the fall season were their only season, they'd be at risk for missing much of their senior year. But with the NCAAs being played in the spring, these injuries are just in the disappointing category. They're not tragic.

15. HowaytheLads

HowaytheLads New Member

Sunderland
    Aug 20, 2020
    and even if they were much more serious, they get an additional year (at UVA or elsewhere) regardless!

16. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    After reading some the recent posts related to COVID-19, I am curious, do you think the SEC, Big 12, Sun Belt, American and a few schools in the ACC would do away with women's soccer if they could? If Title IX were no longer an obstacle, would those schools get rid of costly women’s sports, or reduce support for women's programs?

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Why do you single out women's sports? Why not ask, 'would these schools get rid of costly non-revenue sports?'

18. Sophos

Sophos Member

Feb 20, 2020
    I think it depends who you are? Both within the school and which school. Most wouldn't want to get rid of women's soccer but I think many would like to reduce support for it.

Soccer Coaches- Obviously want to keep it.
    AD's- Most AD's would want to keep it if they could. They need there to be more sports than football, and basketball to justify having administrators. It doesn't have to be soccer, but women's soccer players generally stay out of the way and get good grades so they don't hate it. To some degree it justifies their existence and their own jobs. A school president could manage a football coach and two basketball coaches without a large admin staff.

President's- I think the presidents at those school generally are ok with women's soccer in a normal year where they can fund it. Again women's soccer players tend to be a pretty good optic for the school. Good kids who get good grades and are pretty personable.

Having said that I think the AD's and the presidents would probably love to reduce funding for these programs. Running a program in the SEC or the Big 12 is a more than a million a year all in. Scholarships, salaries, operating budget etc. I think many would love to heavily regionalize the travel, reduce the salaries and staffing and cut the "perks" to save money.

The smaller conferences. The schools that are struggling in non-Covid years? I think it if it wasn't for title 9 you'd see some cuts in those conferences for sure. I think the women's soccer mid major profile would look very similar to men's soccer sponsorship. You would see some cuts in the football playing mid major conferences. Sunbelt, Big Sky, MAC etc. American is a tough one. Like in many things it is between the two realities.

19. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Well, I’m involved with soccer, and most of the schools in the conferences I mentioned either don’t support men’s soccer, or have cut men’s soccer. So I’m going to single out women’s soccer, which is a costly sport to operate. But sure, let’s include non-revenue sports, which is basically all the other sports in an athletics department. Would schools, in the conferences I mentioned, cut women’s soccer if Title IX wasn’t an obstacle?

20. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you on a number of your points. .

21. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I’m hoping spring happens and it goes well and admins see that having soccer happen in the spring is doable and this whole thing is a launchpad for the year round season.

ACrom repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With both the Big 10 and Pac 12 having announced they will play football eventually during the Fall season, there remains no explicit statement from either of them on other traditionally Fall sports -- except for the Big 10 statement that at some point they will announce what will happen with the other Fall sports. The statement from the Pac 12, however, indicates when basketball can begin and that other traditionally Winter sports also will proceed, by its complete silence as to other Fall sports appearing to indicate they will not occur in the Fall.

23. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Daughter (Pac 12) was told yesterday that Fall will consist of practices and local scrimmages only.

cpthomas repped this.
  24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    with all athletes getting that extra year of eligibility will she be taking it, and if she wants to take it have the coaches discussed with her if they will bring her back for the extra year? Seems like every program is approaching this differently so interested to hear how this is being viewed from the perspective of an athlete.

25. Gryphons Dad

Gryphons Dad Member

California Storm
    Oct 2, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #325 Gryphons Dad, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Yes my daughter will be staying until next Fall, the coach approves. Some seniors, fifth-year seniors, and those on their third or fourth ACL injury voluntarily chose to not come back next Fall. Now she can take a couple prerequisite classes for her Masters.

cpthomas repped this.