The Containment Unit: The YA League Comparison Discussion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Testudo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Not true, their U19s could use some help. ;)

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    We will never know. LD didn't stay at Leverkusen long enough the first time to find out. He very well might have.

Agree folks need to chill about Green. He needs time to bake without people popping the oven door open every 5 mins asking if he's done yet. We'll let you know when the timer goes off. ;)

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There aren't a dozen players in MLS that can play in the Bundesliga, including most of the DP's.

spatz repped this.
  4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound mad. Don't be. Let Green prove his worth on the field. He'll find his level. His level now imo is not a top MLS club.

5. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    He's getting some playing time at Hamburger SV, which is better than all top MLS clubs including the Sounders (my favorite MLS team at the moment BTW)

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. I hope it works out.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Could a dozen players in MLS make it in the B1? Easily.

He could probably provide competition to Pappa who couldn't make it in the Eredivise.

8. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Eredivisie would be a better loan options, less physical defenders and more space to dribble and make decisions.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, BWP can't make it in the Championship.

Here's the Designated Player list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule#Current_Designated_Players

Jermaine Jones, Oba Martins, Jermain Defoe, Michael Bradley.

Next year, you add Kaka (if his knees hold) and Frank Lampard (until he gets too old).

And that tops out at half a dozen.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Is this just SFS's professional determination of MLS players who could make it in the Bundesliga right now?

I have a feeling some teams in the Bundesliga would enjoy the services of Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Matt Besler, Omar Gonzalez, Thierry Henry and Tim Cahill right now.... would be a hard sell to say any of these guys couldn't make it at low end of the Bundesliga

lmorin repped this.
  11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well then why arent actually some of them playing Bundesliga low end? Cause the football is totally different. Smaller clubs like Mainz or Paderborn can do well with their type of concept football. But you need technically and especially tactically skilled, running "like there's no tomorrow" players for that. The old gang of those you mentioned are after some cash in the fall of the careers. The two US defenders, Ive only seen them playing in the WC, they seemed tactically a bit naive. Maybe they could. After they adapted and worked their way up -by playing 2nd Buli.

Jsean, spatz and icebreaker repped this.
  12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Henry may make it for some bottom tier clubs as a sub but I doubt he can last the full ninety minutes at his (retiring) age.

Gonzalez has potential but until he does it, he can't. I thought BWP twisted him like a pretzel when NYRB visited the LAG a few weeks ago.

Besler made the rounds but really wasn't wanted by anyone after the last World Cup.

Dempsey was benched by Fulham (granted, it was by Magath but Clint's grades and general performances clearly weren't up to par).

Cahill was benched by Mike Petke in favor of Peguy Lyundula and Tim wasn't getting much PT with Everton before his departure (which doesn't mean he'd be unsuitable for a smaller club but this is two years later)

And the less I say about Donovan's two Bundesliga stints, the better it is for Landon.

UxSxAxfooty, Jsean, spatz and 1 other person repped this.
  13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    • Landon Donovan: You're kidding, right? No team in the BL would touch him. Never proven he can play/stay any place outside Cali. If he could've made it he'd have done it. Had two chances.
    • Clint Dempsey: Agree but teams know he won't go.
    • Matt Besler: Questionable.
    • Omar Gonzalez: Questionable.
    • Thierry Henry: Too old and too pricey. Of course could play there.
    • Tim Cahill: See Henry
    Back to Green: Kid deserves props for not running to MLS and trying to make in Germany. Speaks volumes of his drive and desire.

Zak1FCK and Jsean repped this.
  14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One with Leverkusen when he was a homesick kid and one with Bayern Munich. Saying he isn't Bundesliga quality because he couldn't make it with Bayern is incredibly stupid. Did FC Koln pass on Podolski because he couldn't cut it at Bayern? Are there any other Bayern rejects currently playing in the Bundesliga?

Not to mention that Donovan demonstrated that he was at a level equivalent to or above most Bundesliga teams through his two loan spells with Everton (which was a good EPL team at those times).

How does it show that? Germany is what he knows as he has lived his whole life there. MLS would actually be a more daring choice, if not the smart choice as who in their right mind would walk away from Bayern Munich at age 19 to go to a foreign place.

Grumpy in LA and chad repped this.
  15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pappa has been a force on the wing and one of our most important players down the stretch. Green would be fighting for PT with Barrett and Cooper. S2 in the USL would probably offer him a better chance to develop.

16. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Ah, that'd be TWO with Leverkusen. The first time when he signed his contract and they were looking to develop him, he ran home. The second when his loan was done, he'd gotten his big boy pants and they wanted him to stay and he forced a transfer to wherever MLS contrived him to go (make that two forced transfers). The stint at Bayern he ironically owes to JK. Had Jk not been there the only way he gets a Bayern kit is buying it at the fanshop on Orlandostrasse during and Oktoberfest visit to München.

And saying he is BL quality when he failed three times is what then? Really? If he could make it why wouldn't he? Did he want the same challenge Bradley sought in increasing his play from Roma to Toronto? Please.

Meh....showing how little we know about the BL are we? Princess is a Köln guy through and through. Bayern took him because they covet all shiny objects. Some times they just buy players to weaken teams. Some times they buy players and actually use them. Princess was the flavor-of-the-month and Bayern bought him. Had he worked out at Bayern he'd still be there. Or do you think he likes not lifting trophies at Arsenal?

Ever hear of Mats Hummels? The BL is littered with guys in the BL that didn't make it at Bayern but are playing in the BL.

No, he demonstrated he can take vacation in England. Making it is not working at your dream job and then leaving. Making it is staying, succeeding and showing that you are good at what you do in the toughest environment possible. Steve Jobs "made it" at Apple. Harvey Diggenbottom didn't just because he worked for 4 months in marketing in his late twenties. Meh.

Columbia would be a daring choice too, should he go there?

Actually the daring choice was to stick it out at Bayern and fight for a job. THAT impressed me more than anything. And the fact Bayern was almost willing to allow him to do that is also impressive. Green is trying to do what Donovan never did: Stick it out in a tough environment and fight for his spot. Earn his spot.

icybauer, spatz, Bolivianfuego and 6 others repped this.
  17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try to focus instead of whatever you re doing.

So, JK took LD because of his personal relationship with LD? That's a surprise to most of us following their relationship more recently?

Why are you bring up Bradley, just to try and rag on US soccer? Focus please. Again, LD failed twice with Leverkusen when he was young and/or didn't want to be there. And, AS YOU ADMIT BELOW, failing at Bayern doesn't prove that LD can't play elsewhere in the Bundesliga.

Don't know, don't care, care even less about your need to express your hatred of certain teams and players. The only point is the LP is good enough for the Bundesliga despite not being good enough for Bayern. It's really simple, so try and focus.

DUH!

I have no interest in your philosophy of life, strange or otherwise. LD demonstrated on the field that he is good enough to play at the level of Everton, and logically, in the Bundesliga. The argument that despite his ability on the field that he lacks mental toughness or doesn't want to spend his life in a place that some consider a dump isn't very interesting to me.

Only if he doesn't care about being paid. Colombia is nice, but it doesn't appear to me to be a good path to a top football career, although it worked out OK for Falco and Rodriguez and others.

Good for him. But sticking it out with the best-paying club in Germany at age 19 is smart, not daring. And if he fails or decides to take another less obvious path, good for him (unlike you, I can defend one player without the need to insult another).

18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    • warned for personal attack
    Can't discuss anything with a fanboy who doesn't know anything about the Bundesliga, it's players or when and why things happened the way they did. Point is, "making it" means succeeding long term actually in the location you are professing you can make it. Using your logic I can say I'd make it in Hollywood because I'm great at local theater. That's specious reasoning at best.

Have a nice day.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is it that I don't know about the Bundesliga? The only assertion I made about the Bundesliga is that lots of Bayern rejects play in the Bundeliga, the truth of which is obvious, even to you.

The only "fanboy" in this conversation is you. My opinion that Landon Donovan is currently good enough to play in the Bundesliga doesn't make me fanboy, just a fan with an opinion. Don't go looking to start a fight by ragging on American soccer if you run away like a baby at the first hint of someone not accepting your nonsense carte blanche.

ussoccer97531 and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Lol never been called a Bayern fanboy. ROFL. PRICELESS.

I'd be happy to have a discussion but it's futile to debate something when the original premise is flawed. "whatifs" mean nothing. He either did or didn't. In this case LD didn't. Green, however, is at least trying. Kudos to him.

icybauer, El_Huero and Jsean repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because discussing the merits of MLS players in the Bundesliga is *exactly* why I come to a Julian Green thread.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unclear as to exactly what is the "problem"? Green is a 19yo with a ton of upside who has just got 2 BL1 matches and is returning from an injury. I personally would be thrilled if he got in 10 to 15 BL1 matches this season.

Lets give him time to develop and check back in a year or so to see if there is a "problem".

Namdynamo and LoewenBoy repped this.
  23. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Discussing the merits is fine. That's what many of us are doing.

Hypothesizing that Player Z could "make it" because he played in ABC League is not the same. We can get in to conjecture but it never ends well.

As one poster pointed out, if more MLS could play in the BL they would be pursued by BL teams. They have Scouts here. They know the players. US players are aggressive, usually fast, athletic and work hard. Germans love that. They are also cheap, and Germans REALLY love that. So the environment is perfect for US players to raise their visibility for BL scouts. I think until more are willing to go the route of Bobby Wood, Julian Green, etc., we won't really know.

Adrian559, El_Huero, Jsean and 1 other person repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a great concept... but it doesn't belong in a Julian Green thread.

25. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Agreed.

Testudo repped this.