The concept of the SJ Earthquakes as an expansion team in 2007 or later

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by bpc, Dec 15, 2005.

1. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Garber is repeatedly making reference to this during his conference call, I thought this deserved a separate thread.

How do folks feel about the potential resurrection of the Earthquakes in a few years once an owner can be located? What issues might be involved?

Personally I don't know how excited I would be in a few years to come back, my last thoughts of the Quakes as being a championship-quality team, and then have a Chivas-like expansion team with a bunch of new faces, and occasionally playing a team that will look a lot like my old Earthquakes. I suppose being in a new stadium would be exciting, but I suspect that if and when the Quakes are resurrected by a willing owner, construction will only be in the approval process.

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey, the Cleveland Browns did it. I'm all for th SJ Quakes to come back into the league. In fact, I'd be disapointed in the SJ and bay area govts and potential investors if the Quakes don't come back by 2007.

Come on Quakes!

3. Olson50

Olson50 New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Durham, England
    I may be in a minority, even of Quakes fans, but I would welcome the return of the Earthquakes Mk. IV. just as soon as someone with the resources and vision to resurrect the club can be found. Whether that's in a year or two years or ten years, I hope to see the day it happens.

4. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003

I'm with you. If they come back, they will be properly-financed with a focused ownership group, and a brand, spanking-new stadium. Whether the team is top-notch right out of the box is immaterial.

5. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    San Jose Earthquakes as f@&*ing MLS expansion team? What the F@(& is he talking about? We are THE Team chosen by MLS to be the poster child of fan support. The FIRST ever game for the MLS League held in San Jose. We were THE chosen city to kick off the MLS league.

We don't want no f*@&ing expansion team. We want OUR team, the San Jose Earthquakes. Now all our players/coaches/assistant coaches are GONE. Everyone. Shipped off to Houston. These guys & gals are are OUR Team. I don't want a new coach. I don't want a net new team "in the future if things go well". I don't want any b.s. bogus spin doctor delivering a bunch of crap they can't really stand & promise. (we have heard plenty of that)

These people "were" THE SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES. now they are gone.

Don Garber can go rot in hell.

6. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say to myself, "well, they've killed the Quakes off before, and I came back. I guess I can do it again one more time."

7. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Third time's the charm.

If an expansion team comes, I'll support it. And if the head coach is someone in Yallop's coaching tree (I think it'll be Doyle) then it'll be our old club again at least on some level.

Although I can't promise I'm going to sit around all my life waiting if Philly gets a team first.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will support them if the expansion owner is committed to the community and not some out-of-town entertainment conglomerate. The community of fans is more important to me than any player. Fans are fans for generations, players come and go. Though some players transcend that fact (Moore, Dayak), the current players are pros who are going to have go do their jobs somewhere else. It's sad, but pro sports is a vagabond career. As fans we now have to work on the future of San Jose's soccer community and tradition.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I gotta say, that the arguments he made were really convincing, a lot more "above the table" than the way NFL handled relocations.

He left absolutely. No. Doubt. That SJ would come back stronger and better in the long term.

In the short term, it sucks. In the short term, it kills off incredible momentum of one of the top selling points of the franchise: the CA Derby.

I've gotta say: this could end up working even better for the team's "mythology".

Believe.

10. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'll amend my comments to echo those of Noah Elliott and mitquinn. What this team will need is some credibility. I'm talking about having a local owner with sufficiently deep pockets, about having broken ground on an actual stadium, about having a dedication to promoting the team and the sport here in the Bay Area.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to uclacarlos again.

12. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    MLS broke the covenant with the fans. I'm done with MLS.

I've invested a ton of money with season tickets for 10 years, on top of driving two hours each way for games. The team leaves with significant opportunites on the table and a good excuse for delaying a decision (Ron's malfeasance), and yet are going to Houston WITHOUT A LOCAL OWNER. Hypocrites.

If I felt that there was an honest attempt to make the team work in the bay area, then I might cut MLS some slack. But no way.

I could care less if the bay area gets an expansion team. I supported the league when the team was absolutely unwatchable, and yet that's not good enough. Fine. They don't want me as a fan, I don't want them.

13. Al Salinas

Al Salinas New Member

Apr 11, 2000
    fremont
    I'm with you Noah, I'll support not a new team, but our Terremotos forever, with local ownership, no matter if it's in Oakland S.F. any town in the bay area. :D

14. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be right on board because at least THIS time, I'd have no question that the Quakes are owned by someone who WANTED to own tham and playing in a place that WANTS them to play there.

I don't care if its in San Jose, Santa Clara, San Fracisco or Oakland, as long as there is a new stadium and committed ownership, I am THERE!

2007(hope), 2007(wish), 2007(pray)

Lee

15. jordanz

jordanz New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I'll go on record here: if they come back they can count on me to buy season tickets.

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say I didn't hear the conference call, but there is always doubt until it happens. Remember how San Antonio was supposed to get a team? Cleveland has a letter of intent for MLS expansion that is still valid.

It can happen, but we don't know that it will happen. That it hinges on an agreement with the San Jose City Council is not reassuring news.

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'll buy a season ticket (unless it's priced at unaffordable "Big 3+1" levels) even though I almost certainly won't be living in the Bay Area

18. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    right now, MLS can svck it...

give me a few months to digest and I will probably be back...

19. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Gotta box my German Shepherd dung and ship it to Don Garber as a Xmas present.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I DID listen to the call, and I've had the opp to listen to others as well. It's always interesting to hear the reporters questions b/c they are able to sift through a lot of fluff and pr and get to the point. Most of the questions were about the return to SJ.

Garber talked at length about the process, and how they have set things up so that the new team can carry on the SJE legacy in all of its tradition. Unlike what you would expect of him to leave open the possibility of moving to SF or Oakland, he only spoke of SJ, in a very pointed way.

Unlike what he was saying at MLS Cup time, rambling about the politics of the city and their disappointment w/ the $80 mill for the A's, he thanked the mayor and his staff, especially for their work over the last 24-36 hrs. in brokering a deal to keep the legacy in SJ.

When he thanked SSV, he spoke of them as partners in coming back to do things right.

It was all about Cleveland, Houston and Baltimore are better situations long-term b/c they got the facilities and ownership issues settled. The same will be the case for SJE.

Honestly, everything that he said pointed towards the future of the franchise in SJ. It was almost as if Goodsport had taken over his body, except instead of saying, "We'll be happy to host the Houston expansion team when they visit SJ" it was "We'll be happy to host the San Jose expansion team when they come to Houston". :D

EDIT: SJ City Council
    They are working on a proposal and Garber feels very confident that something will get worked out.

I just didn't get a "60-90" vibe about this. Nor did I get a "Move SJ" vibe. My gut says that MLS is thoroughly committed to doing MLS in SJ the way it deserves to be done: local ownership, proper facilities, community support.

21. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I think it will happen but not in the next round of expansion.

In other words, assuming Toronto is the 13th MLS team, the "new" San Jose Quakes will not be the 14th.

But they will be the 15th or 16th.

22. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call still available here:
    http://web.servicebureau.net/conf/meta?i=1112635635&c=15586&m=was&u=/w.xsl

23. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    ::sigh::

true, its not the old championship earthquakes

i'd love to see a clause somewhere that allowed the new expansion team to have its old players/coaches back, if not all, some of them

SJE forever

24. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20051215&content_id=49527&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp
    I hope, this is not total BS but what MLS really means:

The City of San Jose and Major League Soccer have signed a Letter of Intent which provides a wide variety of support elements, including a stadium financing plan, to attract a local investor for an MLS expansion team in San Jose as early as 2007. The details of the Letter of Intent will be voted on at a future San Jose City Council meeting. The Earthquakes name, colors and competition records have been retained by MLS for this future expansion team.

"We thank the fans of the Earthquakes for their support throughout the past 10 years," said MLS Commissioner Don Garber. "It is our intention to bring Major League Soccer back to the Bay Area with a new expansion team as early as 2007. MLS is committed to working with local business leaders and city officials to continue these efforts. With the support of the City of San Jose, a local ownership group and a soccer-specific stadium, professional soccer can be very successful in northern California."

25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    MLS is dead.