The Compare-This-Season thread.

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by scheck, May 17, 2008.

1. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it might be interesting to have all the data in one place. Does anyone know how good the 4-4 record after 8 games is compared to other rapids seasons?

I'll start out with an indisputable claim: Clavijo's offense is on a much better track this year. :)
    2007 Rapids Golden Boot Competition
    Jovan Kirovski------------------6 Goals
    Herculez Gomez----------------4 Goals
    Roberto Brown------------------3 Goals
    Colin Clark----------------------3 Goals
    Connor Casey-------------------2 Goals
    Mike Petke----------------------1 Goals
    Facundo Erpen------------------1 Goals
    Jose Cancela--------------------1 Goals
    Kyle Beckerman----------------1 Goals
    Ugo Ihemelu-------------------1 Goals
    Mehdi Ballouchy---------------1 Goals
    Omar Cummings--------------1 Goals
    Jacob Peterson----------------1 Goals
    Nicolas Hernandez------------1 Goals

After not even a third of the way through the season, 10 rapids have scored at least one goal Compared with 14 throughout the entire 2007 campaign. Omar now has 3 goals, which have all been from the run of play. As you can see, he's only one goal away from matching herculez's total, is already ahead of casey and we all know that Jovan took the penalties.

In the first 8 games, the rapids have maintained 1.625 Goals per game, compared with 0.96 of last year.

Also, slightly (insignificantly) better than last year is the goals against statistic. Right now it's at about 1.12 compared to 1.13 of last year.

Please feel free to post more information that you feel is relevant. I don't have access to data from years past and it was a mild stretch to even dig up the goal totals from last year.

2. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stats. I do like the 3-5-2 formation. With Petersen and Clark on the wings we have the speed to get back on "d" and still have a good high pressure attack. Keep it up F.C. :D

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pts after 8 games:
    1999 - 14 (Would be 16 under current rules)
    2002 - 13 (Would be 11 under current rules)
    2008 - 12
    2007 - 12
    2006 - 11

Those are the top 5 seasons after 8 games.

4. NL1NateDogg

NL1NateDogg New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Loveland
    A couple of draws that we deserved, ie.. Kansas City, and Houston, and I would be more than ecstatic... But all in all, I'll take it.... Our improvement through young players from last year to this year is astonishing. It's almost like they have a new team mentality. Marcelo talked about it with Bouna on From the Pitch. When we are tied and near a draw, we don't pack it in like last year, we continue to attack and search for that W.

5. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    An interesting thing about Jasonma's stats are the fact that this year and the past two years, the team has started well. Three of the top five seasons are the last three including this year. This year feels much more different than the past two. I didn't feel a sense of commitment by the players to the team\system during the last two seasons. I was just waiting for things to fall apart. This season seems different. A great indicator for that is the way I see Pablo playing. He is playing much more under control, actually coming forward into the attack at times. There were times in the past that I didn't get the feeling that he was really committed to the team as much as he was committed to playing hard. This year, he seems to really be involved and determined. I get that same feeling from the rest of the players. It is a WELCOME change.

6. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    This year is a lot different.

1. A lot more energy on the field.
    2. Movement off the ball. (except against San Jose)
    3. Jovan is not playing.
    4. The effort has been there for 90 minutes, even on the road.
    5. Jovan is not playing.
    6. Christian Gomez is the real deal.
    7. We have a forward who scored in back to back games.
    8. Jovan is not playing.
    9. It's Bouna Time.
    10. Mastroeni is not fouling recklessly and getting red carded.
    11. Did I mention? Jovan is not playing!!:cool:

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    12. Clavijo hasn't used Pablo as a CB
    13. ?

Actually I wouldn't be any more excited this year than last year. It was about this time last year that they had a few extra games at home, did alright, and then managed to go on 5 game losing streak and winless in June and July.