Rumor: The Coming <soft> Rebrand

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jasper_Black, Jul 23, 2018.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One the one hand, it has red.

On the other hand, the florian cross is mostly hidden.

On the other other hand, it has no awful dark blue.

On the other other other hand, it has a stylized "C".

On the other other other other hand, it gets rid of the yellow.

On the other other other other other hand, it looks like a soccer crest.

On the other other other other other other hand it gets rid of the similarity to the Latin Kings.

On the other other other other other other other hand, it is a return in part to the Fire's history.

So said the "official" Chicago Fire octopus.

2. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The important thing about iconography is being able to say something without using words. Yes, the florian cross may be hidden on that kit, but does it or does it not look like the Chicago Fire? The new logo, while basic and quite honestly unimaginative, looks like the Chicago Fire. The crown was dumb. The people behind it decided to attempt to create their own iconography, which is why it failed. The new logo doesn't do anything too new, but that's honestly what's most important. We were never getting the old logo back and this one isn't bad.

And as for literally writing the team's name on the logo, I find that fairly tacky from a design standpoint. There's a Ted Talk I always point to about flags as to why the Chicago flag is so excellent. It's something in modern design where the best designs don't need words on it, they speak for themselves. The Chicago flag, DC flag, Amsterdam's flag. None of them have words on it, you just know what it is. So I don't think that's a part of the design to get upset over. I think that the outer circle is a bit more questionable, as well as the way the C looks.

Yeah, it looks like something a kid would draw, but that's really the only point that the original rebrand made that I kind of agreed with. Trust me when I say from experience as being a kid growing up and trying to draw the Fire logo. Nearly impossible. It's simplified, but not dumbed down to the point where it's like the MS Paint the crown was.

They did their job, the logo's not sh!t anymore. It can be tweaked as we move along over the years, but it looks like the Fire. And that's the most important thing. I can see this logo and think "Ah yes, Chicago Fire." We can finally end this discussion and get on with just being angry about what's on the pitch.

CMeszt, xtomx, moleman and 3 others repped this.
  3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m 100% fine with the name not being on the logo- a good one doesn’t need it. Also 100% fine with the name not being Fire, and with the logo not having the cross in at all if we go that route. They just seem to be trying to have it both ways here still, and it’s odd. Still the Fire, and the logo looks more like the original, except we’re just going to have a part of the logo on the jersey. For my money, I’d kind of prefer the municipal device logo on the jersey to just the cstar- at least then it’ll have more than just red and white, which falls more in line with our tradition of having the navy badge on the kit to contrast with the red.

More than anything, I’m glad that we’ll get a red shirt with a hoop across it after playing FOUR full seasons without one. Hopefully the team won’t still be pure shit by then.

xtomx, OG_Firefan and bunge repped this.
  4. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    My original comment back when I saw it. It has grown on me more since.

Old Man! repped this.
  5. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. It’s fine. I won’t shy away from buying gear (albeit no jersey until 2024) with the new logo and my quibbles aren’t worth getting upset about.

I still don’t understand why we can’t get a red jersey in 2023 at least when it took 6 months to get a navy one, but at least the team won’t look like the Fire while they’re stinking up the joint.

NotHelmut, bunge, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Curious what your one change would have been.

7. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    I really disagree with your last point.

I look at that new logo and my first thought is "Red Stars", not Fire.

Literally *nothing* about the icon says "Fire".

Our original logo *screamed* "Fire".
    The rebrand *screamed* "Dumpster Fire".

This logo screams nothing. It's bland and it feels like it should belong to someone else.

That is *better* than being a dumpster fire, but that's the best you can say about it.

8. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    This is basically it.

krolpolski and xtomx repped this.
  9. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The logo is growing on me. I think it will look great on a red kit.

GHjelm, OG_Firefan and NotHelmut repped this.
  10. OG_Firefan

OG_Firefan Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 9, 2021
    If they want a win, they simply have to deliver a red home jersey for the fall. Otherwise it’s like being separated from your spouse but living in the same house. Who needs to be reminded of that mistake every #%^*ing day?!?!

Note: I am happily married but have heightened empathy.

11. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it’s a constant reminder of the rebrand mistake for the next two and a half years. Nuts. Wish we could just turn the page and never look back.

OG_Firefan and bunge repped this.
  12. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Flipping the navy and sky blue elements would have improved upon this problem a lot. In truth, I'm still not sure how I feel about the flag blue replacing navy as the second most prominent color in the team's branding.

13. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    I flipped it around at the time I saw the new logo and liked it more. Fast forward today and I prefer the current scheme instead.

14. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    The good news is that if this team “achieves” its worst season ever it will be with the “beloved” fire crown logo.

The current logo deserves to be dead last.

Looking forward to the Fire actually shaking up the soccer world in 2022 with some good signings to match the level of improvement in the team logo vs what is there now.

15. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure when it started exactly, but noticed yesterday ESPN is using the new logo now, at least on the app. S’okay.

[​IMG]

xtomx repped this.
  16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Also, how long has the team had that little free vending machine with new logo pins over in the SW corner of the stadium? I finally picked one up and it's in the pinboard of my office.

bunge repped this.
  17. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure it been there since the July 21st game vs. DCU. At least that’s when I first noticed the little statue of the new logo in the stadium, which I think coincided with the vending machine(s).