Rumor: The Coming <soft> Rebrand

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jasper_Black, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I would highly highly recommend buying stuff, even a size up, for when we get fat. You’ll be kicking yourself in 10 years when there’s no original fire stuff left.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    It’s just blunt and in your face without the sum of its parts saying anything. Like paint by numbers. The original logo used the Chicago star, but indirectly. It didn’t need to be so blunt.

Mac97 repped this.
  3. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's fine.
    Just fine.
    I think this was a very safe choice and while it could've been a whole lot better, it's the bare minimum. Which, sure we should strive for more; but I think there's just a lot of relief from a lot of people that we don't need to be angry about the logo anymore. Just let the team tweak it as we move along.

4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2654 xtomx, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    "very safe choice" completely sums it up in three words.

"don't have to be angry about the logo" sums it up our collective attitude.

Well done

5. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Over the months the logo has grown on me

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ironically, the problem with most of my OG Fire gear was the fact that wearing tent-sized clothing was in back then. I've mostly replaced my original jerseys with eBay purchases one or two sizes smaller from the original ones I had back then.

gettyimages-715962-1024x1024.jpg

LIZZIE repped this.
  7. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first saw this new logo in this thread it instantly reminded me of the mock up "kiddie drawn" logo someone here posted a while back. I have it as the background on my iPad because it soooo, sooo bad.

In case you forgot, here it is. I still can't believe how close it is to where the official logo landed...

C4BC42BE-7C5D-44AE-BBD7-BEB1694C23A9.jpeg

Fuegofan, bunge and OG_Firefan repped this.
  8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I didn't love it when I first saw it, but seeing the finished presentation brought me around. I really like the modernized version of the "C" in particular. It's a little close to the Indians, but it's unique enough that it'll stand out on its own. The MLB-ish elements that pop out on their own in the crests are one of the few things that MLS teams have been doing right with their branding lately.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It also appears to have the Don W seal of approval.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, thank goodness.
    I was worried about that one!

Redmaynard, skinut and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    proud to say that was mine.

i just had the wrong order. i went cross on top of star on top of c and i should have gone star on top of c on top of cross.

mace, xtomx and bunge repped this.
  12. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar reaction as the rest of you. I like it, I don't love it, but it's passable. I'm just grateful that I don't have to rage at the Fire anymore. It's fine. Funny how if they'd released this one in November 2019, I probably would've been pissed, but by setting the bar so abysmally low with the Fire Crown, this looks quite good in comparison.

Any commentary on a design will be inherently subjective, but here are my first impressions:

Pros:
    1. I love that there are no words on the logo. I believe that a logo should represent the words and not need further clarification on what it is.
    2. I like that it's pretty simple and not overly busy.
    3. I like that it feels like a Chicago logo and will look good on a variety of merchandise.

Cons:
    1. I would've preferred an update to the original logo, rather than a brand new mark with subtle call backs.The Florian Cross is too round for me, I barely noticed it as a cross.
    2. I don't love the inclusion of a new color into the Fire's palette. Keep the Chicago sky blue for away jerseys and merch, it doesn't have to be on the logo. I think navy blue would've been better there and a more direct link to the original.
    3. It's definitely a Chicago logo, but it's not really a Fire one. I worry that it makes it far too easy to just make this Chicago City FC down the road.

wolvesfirehope, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  13. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't the Fire get red jerseys until 2024?

Even if you accept (and I wouldn't) that the new navy home jerseys for 2022 are set in stone, what about the still being planned away jerseys for 2023? Just make red away jerseys with a white stripe for 2023 and wear them at home. Can anyone tell me why that's not feasible?

14. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You could have a steaming pile of shit as the logo and call it Chicago Fire and he would approve it.

SixKick and harrylee773 repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Are you an "enemy of the Fire"?!?

skinut repped this.
  16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    We did and he did.

He’s an enema of the Fire.

SixKick, skinut, GHjelm and 1 other person repped this.
  17. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I’m glad I saw this late. Don’t hate it and is way better than what exists now.

Did they have to modernize every element of the original? My assumption was that the powers that be did not like the Florian cross. Couldn’t they found a way to keep the original C in this logo?

aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Personally, I like this C better than the original.

CMeszt and harrylee773 repped this.
  19. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    agreed. i never really liked the original c.

CMeszt, SixKick and harrylee773 repped this.
  20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Not all elements of graphic design are subjective so some of the criticism is objectively valid. I prefer the old C and think this one looks horrible but that’s just my opinion.

21. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

The original logo was a punch in the face due to the bold navy color.

The Chicago flag blue of the new logo is not that striking and makes the overall effort milk toasty.

When I saw it originally I stated “Could’ve been worse.” It’s ok.

I do like the Chicago Fire text and that would look great on a jersey and the “municipal” logo.

xtomx repped this.
  22. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    For the jerseys they’re hoping for approval to only use the “c star” and the mock ups with that look fantastic

CMeszt, OG_Firefan and bunge repped this.
  23. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moving us even further away from the 'Fire' identity. The name doesn't appear anywhere on the new crest, and using the c and star only would keep the cross itself off of the jersey as well. Management definitely understands foreshadowing, if nothing else.

24. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There's secondary/tertiary logos and one of them is just the word "FIRE" in red between the two blue lines of the Chicago flag. I think they're just trying to get away from words on the logo, which is actually seen as an important thing in design nowadays.

CMeszt repped this.
  25. wolvesfirehope

United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    while i can see them doing this and i can understand why they think it would be a good idea, i 1) don't think it would look as good as the full logo and 2) think that if they did this then the red stars should push back on it. not that the two logos would look the same, but come on.