The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #676 Ray Shoesmith, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Old biases and prejudices die hard in some.

They can’t accept the true level of MLS and youth improvement compared to Europe.

They see a guy like Zimmerman and say if he was good he would be in Europe. At least on some crappy German team (I have seen that multiple times BTW) The ignorance of that post and lack of understanding isn’t worth the effort. Dumb is dumb.

Yup, the best of the best will make real impacts there, duh. Have to have those to improve, but those middle of the road guys?
    That’s not even close to what it used to be. Will take a lot of folks a long time to change their mind and understand that. They will just keep raging on ignorantly.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect Cowell obtained the Mexican passport if his brother is playing for Mexico’s U-15’s, but maybe that’s inaccurate.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Would be really easy to apply once you have one application done.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no idea what Mexico's process is like, but having some experience with another country's, assuming both of their circumstances are basically the same (same parents, same country of birth, etc.) you'd probably just do both at the same time -- there would be no particularly good reason not to.

BostonRed repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    UEFA's U19 finals (for '03s and younger) started recently. I haven't really looked closely at the teams but there seem to be a few guys I know are eligible for Canada (Jebbison, Sali) and at least one who might be eligible for the U.S. (Kancepolsky) here.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Marcus Ferkranus is Canadian-American. I’d like to keep him around the US program because he seems like exactly the type of player that has the potential to eventually in 5-10 years be the mid/late 20’s MLS CB that puts it all together and makes the USMNT (Besler, Gonzalez, Zimmerman), but he may eventually decide at some point to consider playing for Canada.

@CANPRO

7. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    #682 CANPRO, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    I agree with you.

The problem for the U.S when fighting for dual citizen recruits against a country like Canada is that the player is not going to wait around for years for country #1 if country #2 comes calling as they have a need in that position and are consistently going to the world cup and have big name stars they can play with.

In past years the U.S was often in the opposite position (ie Germans)

Speaking of late development - The CPL is really shining in that regard. 21 year old Victor Loturi just secured a transfer to the SPL and 23 year old Diyeddine Abzi just moved to Ligue 2 in France. There's another CPL transfer coming next week - a Canadian late bloomer who has already suited up for South Sudan because he thought Canada would never happen.

A bit too old for the u20 program, but hopefully some of these guys keep improving and can contribute to the CMNT. Development happens at all ages.

Pegasus and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    There's a great book waiting to be written about the evolution of CONCACAF MNTs between, say, 2018-2038, starting for narrative purposes with the U.S. flameout and building from there through 2026 and beyond. It's one thing to guess who might be able to put a particularly strong squad on the field in four years. I suspect that who's still around and making consistent noise four, 10 or whatever years later will be quite different. Recruiting's gonna be a big part of the story, but it's not the whole story. It's gonna be fun.

Pegasus, ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Jebbison (England) has already assured qualification to the U20s and Kancelpolsky (Israel, same group as England) can lock it up tomorrow; at worst, they're assured a play-off spot. Romania (Sali) needs some kind of result today to get to the play-off round.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's officially now 26 players -- though teams are not required to use all 26 spots. The provisional roster size has also been expanded.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/me...es-increase-of-fifa-world-cup-tm-squads-to-26

It's probably written down somewhere, but I don't see clear guidance regarding whether spots 24-26 must be used on field players only, so I'm gonna guess that it's left to the teams, and that practically speaking most teams wouldn't bring more than 3 GKs. But if you've seen anything about this, please let me know!

I suspect, and my suspicions are often incorrect, that many teams will use at least one of the extra spots on prospects who are not expected to contribute or even appear. Others probably appreciate the extra cover at question-mark positions and could use the opportunity to bring guys whose fitness is "iffy" but who might be able to add a few minutes here or there.

If you're Tillman and maybe even Balogun or Gomez, maybe your ears are burning right now. I dunno.

TheFalseNine and Winoman repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Two of the three dual American players on Guatemala’s U20 team are carrying the offense so far. Guatemala is seeing the success that El Salvador is having and thinking “why aren’t we recruiting harder in American academies’?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A few people got mad with the "he's only 14" stuff.

All I'm saying is that if a smaller country cap-ties a player at youth level provisionally, it almost never ends up with them playing for the bigger country.

If Guerra suits up for Guatemala at U-17 qualifying, he goes into the "unlikely" camp if you are assessing which dual-nats will play for us.

It'd be nice for us to finally have an easy victory with a hispanic dual-national. We have way too many tough battles with Mexico to retain players developed entirely in the USA. Guatemala hasn't even ever made a senior WC.

This should theoretically be an easy victory, but maybe it won't be. We'll have to wait and see what happens. I wouldn't be ignoring it though.

Pegasus and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It's probably not worth bringing this up until after this next round of matches is complete, but it seems like the country that has taken the biggest "L" from the U20s so far is El Salvador, which was surely looking to get its 2026 campaign off on the right foot and seemed reasonably well-positioned by winning their group. I'd put Canada on here but presumably they'll auto-qualify for 2026 so while this matters, it's in a different sense.

As for winners, Jamaica now has a shot to get to the U20s at a minimum, which could attract some prospects to its pool.

16. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Anybody have insight on Antonio Leone? He's a huge prospect that has been developed and lived in the US but has been playing for Mexico U20s. He's arguably Mexico's best player. Elite passer and defender from the center back position.

I'm curious how open he still is to representing the US. As of a couple of years ago, he seemed completely open to either. I wonder if he has settled in with Mexico for good or if he's watching the US with some interest. I'm very curious given how big of a talent he is.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he prefers to play for Mexico. He's been invited to US camps, and I believe what happened was he turned it down to play for Mexico. He was with USYNT's a couple of years ago, but then we stopped having youth camps for a few years, Mexico didn't, and now he's content to play for Mexico.

I don't think it's that big of a loss. I've soured a little on his game this year. He's become a little more consistent, but the upside I thought I saw in prior years hasn't continued to materialize. Part of it may be that he's not gotten much more athletic in prior years. He was an incredible athlete with very good technique for his age years back, but he may have been an early developer athletically and the technique hasn't gotten much better either. He's still good in those areas, but combine that with a guy who isn't an excellent defender, and you have a good, not great 18 year old CB prospect. I don't think he's better than Neal or Craig. Is he better than Ferkranus? Probably, but I'm not convinced he's one of these dual-nats that we cannot lose.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    His passing in this tournament has been exceptional -- definitely better than Neal, and I think better than Craig, but maybe not. Haven't seen him defend a ton, but seems very good there. I'll defer to you though as I haven't watched him nearly as much. Thanks for the info.

Either way, I hope he's open to a fresh consideration after the U20 cycle. Will be interesting to see how/when LAFC integrates him (same with the LAG guys and Craig at Philly, for that matter)....

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is if he's 14 he might not quite be ready for the US U17 team. Sure they should call him up for the U15s, but he may prefer to try his hand at the older age group. There's not a ton you can do about that. That doesn't necessarily mean he prefers Guatemala or that we can't flip him at an older age group.

I think it matters more when it comes to Mexico, but the time to really worry when it comes to a dual national battle with Guatemala is when a player is close to playing with the senior team. Which he is not at current.

And at the end of the day we're going to lose guys no matter what we do. Look at France who have lost players like Aubameyang, Mahrez, Koulibaly, and Mendy among others.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree he shouldn’t be in the U-17’s, but he hasn’t been called up to the U-15’s. It seems like almost everyone believes he’s better than all the U-15 players at his position. It’s a weak position for the ‘07 age group. He should’ve been in one of the first few U-15 camps.

I agree it’s more important to worry about later on, but the way to make sure these situations don’t get to the point of where you are worrying about a few years down the road is to be proactive now. If he’s hypothetically a 16 year old with 60-65 first team minutes at LAFC, that’s not going to get you a USMNT call up. It might get you some senior call ups with Guatemala. There’s little you can do at that point, unless the player simply prefers to play for you and will wait. There’s something we can offer now.

That’s my point for this situation and all of them where we identify a player is a top talent in their age group. We don’t want another situation where we could’ve provisionally cap-tied JoGo at youth level, and the coach preferred Adam Armour. If you think this’ll be something that comes up in 2-3 years, try to deal with it now.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not sure what is so great about playing with a senior Guatemala team. Getting to dead end full speed?
    Killing your international career before it started? Making you granduncle happy?

Master O repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most people would prefer to play for the US vs. Guatemala all things being equal. But all things aren’t necessarily equal. Maybe a player wants to be a key player for Guatemala versus being a bit player for the US for instance. Or someone may be a late bloomer who gets tied by Guatemala because they may think they’ll never have a shot with the US but later proves good enough. Aaron Herrera for instance is going to have a decision to make at some point next cycle.

Winoman repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Aaron Herrera coming to mid twenties and for whatever reason has been totally ignored, would be a smart move for him. And congratulations to Alex Roldan on his move. But at 14/15 all the reasons are wrong.

24. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair no one is getting locked in at 14/15. But Guerra may pick the Guatemala U17s over what he’s being offered by the US (which may or may not be a potential call up the U15s).

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As long as he isn't getting locked in everything is fine.

gomichigan24 repped this.