The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hopefully he's ignoring Jonathan Gomez right now too.......................

We saw Tata's approach to young players while coaching in Atlanta. He couldn't be bothered.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially because we know he's talked with some of the other players. Gomez and Ochoa both went and trained with the full national team. Araujo was invited to do so (though he declined at the time).

Ochoa even said that it was a big deal for him that Tata Martino the former coach of Barcelona and Argentina wanted him. Araujo also said in the Athletic he had multiple conversations with Martino. So it's definitely a bit odd if he never spoke to Pepi.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1458983242028228610 is not a valid tweet id

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #404 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    My connecting-too-many-dots thought on Azcona is that it's good for the U.S. that he'll be busy with YNT stuff for the DR next year since he's already cap-tied to them at that level and, assuming he wants his options kept open, he can keep playing for them and set MNT stuff more or less aside for a bit. There's no Gold Cup next year and Nations League starts midway through the year. With that said I have no idea what his intentions are or whether the USMNT program will be interested down the line.

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    England called up Tomori in October but he didn't make the cut for their most recent qualifiers. As far as I can tell he's still theoretically "available" though apparently in the England picture to at least some degree.

As an aside, if Cape Verde beats Nigeria on Tuesday, they're moving to the next stage of African qualifying and Nigeria is out. (Maybe there's other scenarios but those look unlikely.)

I assume Nigeria would like Tomori as well but he'd big a big get for Canada.

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he not locked in to England now that he has a cap after the age of 21? They did throw him on the field against Andorra when they called him up in October.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ah, nuts. For some reason I thought he didn't appear in a WCQ during that window, must have misread something. But that match was indeed a WCQ. My bad.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unfortunate for Canada as I don't think he's going to get much in the way of opportunities between now and the World Cup, and had he not played he would have been eligible to switch over right before the World Cup (and probably would have been amenable at that point).

9. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I think Tomori will get plenty of looks in England squads between now and the World Cup, Southgate just doesn't want to turnover the squad to much and to quickly from the Euros (Tomori is in direct competition with Coady and Mings who while probably not as talented are quite big voices in the dressing room and both have points of difference).

10. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I guess the question is how likely is Tomari to go to the World Cup with England? And based on call ups over the last year I don't think it's that likely. But with Canada he 100 percent would be.

Similar situation as Musah who may have had a future with England eventually, but assuming we qualify, is absolutely certain to go the the World Cup as long as he's healthy.

STR1 repped this.
  11. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I think he's probably 50/50, it will depend on his and his competitions performances over the next year.

England has so much competition for places, and so many dual nationals it has to be as close to a meritocracy as is possible, they can't really be guaranteeing (or making promises) World Cup spots 2-3 years in advance.

I'm assuming the US will be in a similar situation in 5-10 years time. I saw 101 players were called up for USMNT in the last 12 months, that's not really sustainable in the long term.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed England has so much good young talent right now that it's such a hard national team to break into. It's why we got Musah and why I think we'll eventually get Balogun.

Eventually it seems like we'll be on track to be where England is, which will lead to us losing a lot more dual national battles. Which is generally the sign of a very good national team. I believe for instance that in the 2018 World Cup, 52 players were born in France.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    At some point I figure you gotta roll the dice and bet on yourself unless, I suppose, you're just a major talent taking a big step down. If you want to play for England and as of mid-November you can realistically see yourself in the top 40, say, what more can you ask for? Guys get hurt, stuff happens, in the end you're a competitor and you gotta compete.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  14. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Certainly a possibility, but I have noticed you’ve been burning through (bad phrasing) Striker call ups recently, Pefok, Dike, Sargent, Hoppe, Gioacchini, Soto and none were in the last squad, at some point you probably need to back two or three of those. I don’t think Balogun will be making decision until after the 2023 U21 Euros, unless we gets offered immediate Senior international playing time, which as you suggested earlier seemed to be the case with Musah.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don't think Balogun is really in the picture for a senior team call until he really breaks through with his club team. Which may or may not happen prior to the World Cup.

I think with the strikers you mentioned they've all had issues of late. Pefok lost his starting job and hadn't scored for over a month, Sargent is in a not ideal situation for a striker, Soto has been in one poor situation after another, Gioacchini hasn't played much since his move, Hoppe has been hurt and needs to learn Spanish, and Dike had a poor Gold Cup (though he was injured and has played fairly well in MLS since). There is definitely room for a striker behind Pepi. I think Dike has the highest ceiling of all those guys mentioned, but I don't think he quite plays the way Berhalter is looking for from the 9. If Balogun started playing for Arsenal I think he'd rocket up the depth chart and have a legit shot at being on the World Cup roster for the US. Which probably would be enough to get him to commit.

Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  16. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recruiting Okoh might have just gotten even less likely. Tied on points with Italy but behind on goal differential, Switzerland came like bats out of hell in the second half to score four goals in a crazy 4-0 win over Bulgaria in Luzern, booking their ticket to the World Cup. Even if Italy had won in Northern Ireland, Switzerland likely still would have taken them over on GD and the tie breaker they had over Italy (with this score Italy would have needed to win by three). Switzerland have had some absolutely incredible moments and victories between this and the Euros, so there's gotta be a ton of feel-good factor in that program. Can't help but keep chuckling at people in the USA Men forum who had no idea how good this Switzerland team was when we played them in one of their Euro tune-ups.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think Okoh is going to be playing for either National Team until after the World Cup unfortunately due to the torn ACL he suffered last week. Richie Ledezma had a torn ACL last December, and still hasn’t played any games since. It’s a full year injury, and even if best case scenario he’s back playing games mid-October 2022, he’s not going to do enough to earn a World Cup spot for either country, considering he only has one league game at the first team level.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That had somehow escaped my attention, bummer for the young guy. I still think it does something though. Switzerland has something unique going on right now and they've managed to connect with the country in a way I haven't seen before (lived there for three years up till this summer).

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SCSAutism, STR1 and Winoman repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico is having trouble integrating 21 year olds. Are they going to integrate two 03’s into their senior NT? It doesn’t hurt us that they are integrating this guy over Mexican-American’s like Gomez.

SCSAutism, Winoman and eliwood repped this.
  21. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016

SCSAutism, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Flores was so dominate in the Revelations Cup that this is not unexpected. He is a tri-national and I'm sure Mexico would not want to play against him if he chose Canada.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I have no idea what Flores "wants" but you sort of have to figure he's a fringe MNT candidate for 2022 for both Canada and Mexico (even if he's a big talent I don't know if Canada is looking to integrate youth players during a high-stakes qualifying campaign) so there's little downside to him going with Mexico now. A few nonbinding senior appearances and a spot with the U20s puts it on Canada to pull him really far forward. Maybe they will, I have no idea.

24. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Christian Torres heading to Germany but hasn't been made official. As much as people here in the US and the rest of CONCACAF hate MLS and keep on saying it is a shit league, it sure is helping everyone in this area get better talent.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. Mexico should be approaching their December camp in Austin the same way we think of ours Dec/Jan camps. A chance to look at young and fringe players. Since this is in the US, I won't be surprised to see some young Mexican-Americans there. Heck, I won't be surprised to hear that Jonathan Gomez was invited to this Mexico camp too.