The coming boom in multi-eligible player recruitment

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Henry Codron is their agent.

2. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    As an agent, advising you players to play for Mexico (assuming that they are good enough to play for Mexico) is sound advice because Liga MX will vastly overpay for Mexican National Team players and the marketing deals are better because the Mexican National Team is way more popular than the US MNT.

This is likely more important for fringe players than stars.

Stars that don't need Liga MX to leverage for more money and just want to get to Europe it is far less important. Pepi is getting paid regardless and their is likely a bigger benefit in Europe to have a US Star versus a Mexican Star...Ochoa might be able to get 3x more by moving to Liga MX.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is AMO Talent his agency? There’s basically nothing on the internet on either Codron or AMO.

Whereas when Reggie Cannon signed with a new agent, you could go to their website and see everyone they repped https://sport.ymugroup.com/us/sport

Winoman repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I happened to come across a FIFA report from today with some high-level data on change of association requests.

In total, 124 requests for a change of association were submitted to the PSD during the 2020/2021 season by a total of 58 different associations (see the top ten below). A total of 127 such requests were resolved, 120 of which were received after 1 July 2020 and seven just prior to the beginning of the reporting period, leaving four cases that were still ongoing on 30 June 2021.
    By a wide margin, most requests are approved. Not surprising I suppose. More here:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/6dcb7...FA-Players-Status-Department-ReportReport.pdf

gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Always a good sign to sign with an agency that doesn't even have a website.

The only thing you can find on Codron is that he was an intern at Wasserman, which is where he probably met these guys.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #331 Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Anecdotal I suppose, but I'm frequently surprised by how many agents/agencies have smaller digital footprints than I expected. Often, if there's anything, there's maybe just an Instagram account, at times without further contact info available. (And often, when there are websites, they're not great!)

Boysinblue, Winoman and gogorath repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I've seen loads of reports, mostly citing each other I assume, saying FIFA "announced" Arajuo's switch to Mexico. Has anyone actually seen an announcement attributed to or published by FIFA in some form? (I'm not doubting that this happened; rather curious about the forum in which such an announcement might have been made.)

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like they don’t all necessarily list out all their players but they at least have some sort of website or social media presence. And I feel like a big part of it is so you can advertise yourself to try and get more clients. Wassermann has a pretty extensive website itself but if you look at Richard Morzkin’s social media (who represents a huge number of our players) it’s basically him congratulating his clients every time one does something notable https://twitter.com/RichardMotzkin?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine they are almost all approved unless someone thinks they are eligible to change when they actually aren’t. I’d be curious what the ongoing changes are as I can’t imagine it’s too difficult to make a determination either way.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I agree that it makes sense that people eligible to change are allowed to change and people who aren't aren't! ;)

11. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe the reports at all. The initial one out of ESPN MX is from the same person that reported Pepi would play for Mexico only for that to be proven false later that same night. That being said other articles I've seen are from the AP so there's obviously more credibility there.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anything's possible, but NBC (for example) is reporting it in a bylined article, saying "FIFA said" it yesterday.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/10/04/julian-araujo-mexico-usmnt-fifa-switch/

NoHammiesAltidore repped this.
  13. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--

Math does not check out​

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    LOL. That is funny. (But for those wondering, not all requests considered during a given period were submitted during that period or resolved during that period.)

15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Welp, as the kids say...

... but it certainly does appear that FIFA told people (on the record -- the stories didn't read like "FIFA sources said...) about this before it was announced.

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    the timeline here still makes me think we could get some juicy details down the road

17. JDROD10

JDROD10 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 15, 2021
    This is such a personal choice that I don't believe many in this forum (if any) can begin to comprehend how these kids arrived at their decisions.

Winoman, gogorath and twoolley repped this.
  18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    How do you mean

19. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i cant believe he wasnt trying to leverage his filing of the switch into receiving a callup wherever his heart was on the matter

20. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly reading his interview on the Athletic it really didn't seem like that. Seems like he really took his time to think it through and this is where he landed.

But it also really does seem like Mexico isn't really happy with their options at right back.

This is from a recent article about the first window https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-...p-how-does-el-tri-look-after-undefeated-start

Mexico's struggles at right-back have been so apparent that Julio Cesar Dominguez, a 33-year-old center-back, was given the start at the position last Sunday against Costa Rica. Jorge Sanchez and Luis Rodriguez have platooned on the right side of the defense for months now, but neither looks to be a long-term solution for Martino as the road to Qatar continues.

A cartoonish mistake from Sanchez created the only goal for Jamaica, while Rodriguez's follies at the position are enough for a low-light reel. Look for Martino to call in anyone carrying a good run of form in October to bolster the position.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As far as I know, yes.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems like fairly conventional reasoning (which is what I'm good at) that Araujo would likely have started some WCQ matches for the U.S. this cycle and been in serious contention for a theoretical final roster.

gomichigan24, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #348 ussoccer97531, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    I agree that it’s likely a difficult decision for some, and I think some kids growing up struggle with who to root for. However, many of these kids make their decision for reasons other than their personal feelings towards the two countries and National Teams. It is often a family decision or a business decision.

I don’t know any of these kids (Alvarez, Araujo, Pepi, Ochoa, Gomez, Leone) that have to make these decisions, but for a lot of them I’ve heard that there are other factors that come into play.

Some of this is my own speculation and some is what I’ve heard. With Alvarez, I think he was pushed into it by his father. He might’ve chose Mexico anyway, but I don’t know that he made any decision. With Ochoa, I believe that he probably preferred Mexico, he didn’t like some of his treatment with the USA or how he felt within the set-up, and the agent helped Mexico. Araujo was considering his spot on the depth charts and there are also some questions about how he fit into one of the two set-ups culturally (maybe two). I think this is another situation where the agent helped Mexico. Among the considerations for Pepi were the call-ups he got from the two federations at youth level and another factor I won’t get into, but is public (if you dig for it) and I believe helped the USA. Gomez, I don’t want to preempt the decision, but I’ve heard of a few different factors. I still believe we are the favorites, but not enough that it likely won’t be a close decision.

That isn’t to blame these kids for not making it purely a personal decision, but it’s not purely personal for most of them. There is too much to factor in for most of them for it to be purely personal IMO.

ChicagoVT, gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  24. JDROD10

JDROD10 Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Sep 15, 2021
    When I say personal, it includes their inner circle. So agreed.
    But how about the ones that genuinely simply love both, want to represent both? I bet that is the majority.

25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If only they could have been sold a year or two earlier. Before family members braiwashed them into fullfiling their own childhood dreams.