The Colombian Prodigal Son Returns - The James Rodríguez Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t sell to a direct rival, ******** that.

Digital repped this.
  2. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell to Miami, damn it

Shay Z repped this.
  3. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He gets his wish of staying in Madrid

I think Flo is just trying to do right for a player he seems to like

Shay Z repped this.
  4. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, but seeing as most here don’t rate him much as a player, I guess from a fan point of view few care

5. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's time we stopped doing that imo. It was good PR move in the past but moving on we have to look for the clubs best interest instead of the players. Unless the guy is 32+ and close to retirement, i don't see why we need to fulfill their wishes.

Atletico went the extra mile to make sure their top players never joined us in the last 10-20 years. Unless they are willing to pay above price then they can suck it.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know, that Llorente transfer looks incredible for us right now. Atleti gave us 30 mil. Euro for a player they are not invested in, and will likely offload for half the value to another spanish team at some point.

I have no idea what value James has right now. If Atleti pay more to spite us, even better. I don't think he's a player that moves them forward. Especially with Felix needing lots of time and focus. James might find himself a substitute at Atleti as well.

7. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Some very odd decisions from the club over the past year. Had a deal in place with Atletico for James, backed out, and now we're looking at it again. Had a deal in place with a Chinese club for Bale, backed out, and now we're looking to off load him again. Not to mention, not willing to pull the trigger on Haaland in December for 20M, but suddenly we're interested after 5 matches with his new club and we're looking to pay 70M?

Stiliyan, Lyra and J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where’s the report of us backing out for Haaland? And didn’t James ultimately block the Atletico move?

9. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Well for Haaland, we didn't buy him or weren't interested in December when he was at 20M, whatever the reason for that, I'm not sure what changed from December to February to change our mind.

As for James, maybe not the best source, but it certainly seemed that's how things played out last summer:

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we all know being willing to pay for Haaland and he being willing to come to Madrid to ride the pine are different things. Jovic was already here and reading up in Haaland to Dortmund it’s clear he wanted to play right away. Wasn’t gonna happen here. I’m not gonna fault the club there at all.

The James thing to me was more of the club coming to its senses. Why sell him to Atlético anyway? I’m glad we changed up.

Bale, that’s the real odd one but it feels like the club didn’t want to look bad losing such a high profile player for nothing. Flo ********ed up thinking he could probably rehab Bale’s image and get him back to a valuable asset. Especially with Zidane as manager, when you know he would like Bale gone as well. The Bale saga continues to be kinda baffling to me.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  11. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Better than losing James for nothing. He isn't going to move the needle for Atletico anyway and I'm not even sure where James would fit in, take the money and run.

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, if Atlético bring the only substantial offer, fair enough. But if any MLS or EPL or Chinese or whatever clubs have similar offers than it would be preferable to me to go that direction, if James was keen.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  13. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Which is all fine, but why are we now chasing him again? Trying to make sense of what changed between December and now?

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think we might be going for reliability there as well. Who knows when these leagues will return or what money they'll be working with? With Atleti we know they'll be open for business at the same time as we are.

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think Håland and Raiola wanted to make a big multiple year step right away. After all it was the player himself that brought up the option of going to Dortmund.

Ahmadi8 and natenate101 repped this.
  16. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said something changed? Sounds like we were at least interested in the Winter window but didn’t go all out because we had 3 strikers on the roster, and no chance for him to start matches right away. He probably discarded Madrid as an option for that reason alone. Sounds like we had interest though. If we go all out for Haaland (and it’s all just the most obvious of rumors to create by the media right now) they’ve realized Benzema needs to be replaced, and that Jovic isn’t the one to do do.

17. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes sense but I would just prefer to avoid potential revenge situations when possible. James is still very skillful and can be a difference maker. It sounds great now to say’” just sell him to whoever, and cash in!” until he has a game winning free kick or golazo to beat us in an important match.

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Have you ever felt like James would fit in Atleti's system and culture? To me it feels like he'd be joining them for convenience not because his heart is in it.

19. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but I didn’t think he’d work at Bayern and he actually played really well there. Bottom line is he could do what their young Portuguese kid shouldve done and create chances. He could help them if given a freer role with their workhorses like Partey, Saul and Koke around him.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Only when everything was perfect for him though. As soon as Kovac joined he became a problem. Can't have somebody this unreliable on a bigger contract.

I'm also starting to think that Bayern's refusal to buy and flip the player might have something to do with his reluctance of moving in various directions and really looking for max comfort for himself.

I think he's a very talented player but I'm starting to think that's all he'll ever be, an eternal talent.

21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When James is focused and has a good relationship with the coach, he is magnificent.

Idk what to make of the Atletico move. Simeone is a tough but his players adore him. He is also south American and Atletico has been after James twice. He must see something in him, otherwise, why chase the transfer?

I think he would work there but i dont trust the man's injuries. I think that's a bigger problem than his lack of effort or talent or anything else

22. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He seems like a terrible fit for Simeone's system but oh well. Let the man go, whatever happens happens.

23. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  24. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He apparently ‘only wanted’ Napoli last summer and upon hearing that they practically wanted us to pay them to take him. James needs to be careful with these requests, if they’re true.

I was expecting to see rumours that he only wants Everton next.

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He loves the city

Eddie repped this.