The coaching: Brazil Post Game discussion [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thesoccerphantom, Sep 27, 2007.

1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Re: Ryan ????? [R]

That is so funny, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing! The lack of mental prowess is clearly visible!

:D

2. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Ryan played three midfielders and three forwards throughout the tournament no matter what other teams were playing. Other teams were using four and five midfielders and blowing through our midfield at speed which put great pressure on our back four. I would have preferred to see two forwards and Lilly at left mid where she can do so much.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if Ryan has destroyed overall team chemistry that will be even more problamatic in the long run. Players divide into factions over less.

4. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas

I have had 2 hours to settle down on this........... not.
    I watched the game again......... made it worse.

The own goal: Very unfortunate, however; 2 players near post and no communications in the box from Bri. That comes from continuity with players that have been on the field for the world cup. There wasn't a Brazil player within 5 yards. Shouldn't happen.

Boot ball: No control, this has been all over these boards. Kick it up to Abby.
    She is great, but one person. USN programs are polluted with big, athletes. We have tons of kids with tremendous skill sets, rate of play, speed. Like O'Reilly, Tarp. This has been on the boards recently too. Brazil was spectacular today, unbelievable skills, patience, coaching. One of the best womens' sides I have ever seen play.

Substitutions: I still can't get that out of my mind. Reminescent of April Heinrichs and I couldn't stand her either. ugh.......

TEAM: This is my biggie for the day. Foudy caught on to it and said something too. Did you see the team during one of the injury timeouts in the second half. Some got water. Some stayed on the field. No huddle. No communications from Ryan. They were beat and needed a real coach to pull them together, to make something happen. I was amazed. That "TEAM" cohesiveness, spirit, comraderie, determination, guts... can never break down. That can never happen. Ever.

Does USSoccer make the change 12 months before the Olympics?

I'd be waiting at the plane.

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Mr Martin, Ryan's coaching has been questionable before this tournament. It didn't really bother me until the "tuneup" games, but there were signs even before that including tournament play.
    That's just one of the complaints we saw before the tournament.

6. soccervol

soccervol New Member

Aug 22, 2007

In keeping with US Soccer tradition he will be moveed to set up the women's youth academies so that we can ensure that what happened here will repeat itself over the next 8 years or so, but in the meantime, plenty of money to be made from our expensive youth clubs guided by our US Soccer coaching geniuses.

7. umasswsoccer

umasswsoccer New Member

Mar 17, 2005

I couldn't stand it and walked away at half. Hubby announced the score from time to time and then came back after Marta's second goal and said it was just unbelievable. I guess I'll watch it on YouTube.

Hats off to Brazil. They played beautifully and we played the same way we played the ENTIRE tournament except when we were up 3-0 against England.

Ref sucked. Can she please do away with the Flashdance headband. I know that's petty but she really blew the Boxx call. Aren't they wearing head phones for a PURPOSE?

For all of our moaning and griping, there really wasn't much the US team could have done differently. They've played a direct, smash-mouth brand of soccer for the past couple of years and Ryan has been successful with it.

I think this result is great. Maybe now we can get back to developing a team that plays possession.

I do feel badly for the players. The look of fear and frustration was so evident and so sad. God love Lil and all she's done but she might reconsider and retire BEFORE the Olympics. But then again, maybe most of them should consider retiring before then based on their world cup olay. Kidding.

ONWARD!

8. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC

Yes Ryan must be fired. I would prefer to see it happen now, before even the 3rd place game. You crash out of a big tourney, you lose you job, its that simple. To delay, or god forbid, not to it sends the message that US soccer is still small time and we forgive coaches.

USSF leadership should be furious that they spent 3 years and gobs more money that Brazil and then get not beaten, but humiliated by them.

That passion needs to be shown to the coaching community in this country. If you have aspirations of coaching the national team, you will be held accountable for results. We ain't paying for 50 wins in friendlies.

My fear is they will wait, maybe say, Oh that's OK, lets do better in the Olympics. If we fire him now it will cost us money....

NO, Fire him now today, buy him a ticket on a plane home now today.

We will not accept lousy performances in the World Cup

9. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Let the excoriating begin

"That crashing you may have heard in the wee hours before dawn today was the shattering of a whole lot of dreams. And you can blame that destruction on U.S. Soccer coach Greg Ryan........ was a bitter note to the end of Brianna Scurry's wonderful story. And it smashed the hopes of World Cup momentum helping to launch a new professional league.....

The Americans looked out of synch from the start. And for that you can point the finger directly at Ryan, the coach who completely out-thought himself and who took a page out of the Steve Sampson book on World Cup chemistry destruction....

It was painful to watch Scurry completely humbled, after all her stellar moment in the United States goal. Brazil still may have won with Solo in there, but we'll never know. Ryan chose to disrupt his team in the middle of a World Cup. Now he is left to pick up the pieces of the mess he made, with one of the all-time coaching blunders. Ryan not only lost the game, he has also lost his team. And his one chance to grab his country's attention. It was a devastating morning." http://www.mercurynews.com/othersports/ci_7015349

10. balld

balld New Member

Aug 18, 2004

I share the frustration of most of the other posters in this thread. Greg Ryan has shown himself to be a weak, almost superstitious game coach. His refusal to play without Wambach on the field is idiotic. Granted, she's a phenomenal striker and draws a lot of attention, but as the team showed against whoever, Finland?, in one of the last tune-up matches, we can score in a variety of ways without Wambach. If we're up and she's tired, why not give Kai, or Lloyd some quality minutes on the pitch? If the long ball direct play isn't working, why not try some through balls to Heather? If Lilly isn't playing well, and frankly, she didn't for much of this tourney, why not give Tarpley her spot? He can't have been worried about team chemistry, given the disastrous keeper change for today's match.

His refusal to adapt to the conditions on the pitch are simply inexplicable.

11. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My evolution of my perception of Ryan and his tactics:

Pre-worldcup, I started a thread "What happened to the 1-2s" which pointed out the US's lack of creativity and a buildup from the midfield and our reliance on just kicking it up for the forwards to run on to. We were winning by large margins however, it was against second tier teams. But the lack of midfield presence in the midfield worried me. Others said we were winning just fine and I was going overboard. so I let it go.

During the world cup, things weren't panning out. During the Korea game, we looked dazed and confused, especially in the midfield. Sweden game wasn't much better, only difference was that sweden weren't nearly as fast and it wasn't raining, but nonetheless, it was a good win. So Nigeria game comes along...it was evident that our speed in the midfield was lacking. Played in a game of torrential downpours, the ball was loose often, but more often than not, it was a Nigerian player who got to the ball first. At this point, I was even more worried facing the knockout stage, but kept faith in the team. I thought: maybe it was all just nerves and the bad weather; maybe we'll see this team's true character against England.

The team played solid against England, so I thought I had it all wrong. Route 1 is the way to go. Winning ugly is ok as long as it's winning, right? But then comes Brazil. Even before Boxx was ejected, the midfield presence wasn't there...again even with Osborne and Boxx. The Brasilians used quick passing TO FEET. You know, that type of buildup that's often ineffectual because it's too slow and causes turnovers...(like route 1 doesn't).

So I'm back at square 1 again. I hate this style of play. First of all, we have yet to have a playmaker that gets the ball often enough that also has the ability to play long accurately. Too often, the long balls from the back line went astray and were easy to clear. Second, our pressing game in the midfield caused us headaches. Instead of everyone in the midfield pressing for the ball, we should have held the center tight with the 3 mids basically stuffing the middle, giving the wide defenders more responsibility to press up if they try to go thru the wings.

12. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va

i'm not sure that the keeper situation proved to be the margin, but it was still a disastrous decision. santa clara osborne still probably would have put the ball in the back of the net and boxx being sent off is still categorically wrong, not debatable. still, it just wasn't honorable. there's no way scurry was that much better than hope to make up for all the negativity that the move engendered. if i were hope i'd have been sitting on the bench asking the other superstar reserves who didn't see the field if they could help pull the knife from between her shoulderblades.

13. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas

this came off one of the other treads. its' the thread of Hope Solos' interview on the goal keeping change.

I like the attitude and conviction, however, having some time to think about it now since my reply on the other thread...........

It could spell the beginning of the end.

Let see how coach deals with this one.
    He'll probably screw it up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3039111&n8pe6c=2

14. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...or Steve Sampson:rolleyes:

15. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thread moved back from the WC board.

This is clearly analysis concerning the United States. Sorry for the confusion for any of you chasing this thread all over the place!

16. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Ryan thought it would be best for the women's game as a whole, to have Brazil move forward so they can take out Germany and show the macho world that not all women's teams play the same...:cool:

Seriously, I hope Brazil wins. I hope it can help raise awareness and thus, raise level of support/funding for the women's game in latin countries. And I hope we can get a successful women's league going again so we can attract all this talent back from the euro leagues!:D

17. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...for a moment I had a picture of a formally prepared sepukku knife that I was going to post...

But that seemed, upon reflection, a bit over the top.

So resignation, as UFGator98 suggested, will do just fine.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Ryan????? [R]

I've been a Greg Ryan believer from the beginning, but after this, I don't know. I'm from Chicago, and Ryan played his pro ball here. Brett Hall is a well known figure in Chicago soccer area. I've talked to him on several occasions. I've religiously followed this team, even taking vacation days around the country to coincide with their schedule. But gosh I'm so diappointed today I really don't know what to think anymore. This a disaster. A devastating debacle.

19. sspeed

sspeed New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Tempe

Ryan was obviously not ready for this position...US Soccer needs to be held accountable as well... As far as I am concerned they are now 0-2 with recent choices. You have to once again question if they really even care about the womens program. There is obviously no time spent researching coaching candidates.

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. Well, I watched first game against North Korea (Note: Normally, I watch the USWNT games leading up to the WC, but my life got in the way). I was so disappointed in the style of play and poor coaching that I haven't watched a game since. The only reason that I will watch the US vs Brazil is because my wife wants to watch it...

The US play is slow and unimaginative. It was pretty much knock it to Aby and hope she scores a goal. Unless something changes in the next cople of years, I have no desire to watch them.

21. AFCfan4ever

AFCfan4ever New Member

May 8, 2005
    Collins, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know there's a lot of other blame to go around for Mr. Ryan but I am still absolutely gobsmacked at the GK'ing change...what on earth was he thinking???

First of all, there was no need for it. Solo was planning just fine and was solid at the back...so what if Scurry played well against Brazil 3 or 4 or 5 years ago. That is the stupidest reasoning I think I've ever heard for making such a switch.

Secondly, it disrupts the team chemistry and then questions are asked and it takes the focus away for the game for the players, etc. What kind of message does this send not only to Solo, but to the rest of the players? Not a good one IMO.

Lastly, what on earth do you do now? He can't go back to Solo for the 3rd place game and even if he tried to, I think she'd tell him to go to hell....could you blame her? What about the future?

I mean, just so idiotic. I hate making kneejerk decisions and opinions based on one thing but I think what he did is def. worthy of him being fired.

22. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South

He needs to be SMACKED for his idiocy.

Wow... not sure I've ever seen such inept managing.

23. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va

(i'm very surprised at the frequency with which people speak intelligently about complicated aspects of the national teams and its games, yet cannot spell the players' names right. it's abby, not aby. it's wambach, not wombach. it's kristine, not christine. sorry for being persnickety, i just thought it was interesting)

24. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007

mi, to.

25. Dogbreath

Dogbreath New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Maui

Mr Ryan needs to go sit with Mr Grossman. Bonehead move. USWNT has to get away from the long ball. It was painful to watch them this WWC. The team has been mismanaged since Ape took over.