The Chivas Objections Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Soccerdude redded, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chivas USA Shouldn't Exist

Ok, fine. So why don't these fans come out for Chivas games?

2. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Cuz those fans were rooting for a Mexican team (full of non mexicans) and Chivas USA is not a mexican team.

Calero-Colombia
    la Chilindrina-Argentina
    El Chaco-Argentina
    Caballero-Argentina
    Chitiva-Colombia
    Rey-Colombia
    The Sweeper he just got there-Paraguay??

3. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, do you agree that the Chivas 'brand' doesn't bring enough power to appeal to a large Latino/Mexican fan base?

And/Or do you agree that it may be holding the team back, because it would turn off any non-Chivas Mexican fan?

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rochester?

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have a stadium thats expandable to MLS capacity

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

That's so 90's. Get with the program, Portland is the new Rochester.:D

7. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx

Chivas attendance is even worse considering nobody else has the advantage of the super classico not to mention Chivas blatantly are the worst in the league at fudging numbers.

8. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How are they worse? I think all teams report number of tickets sold/distributed and not people through the gates with the exception of TFC which sometimes reports numbers slightly less than sellouts although I believe they have actually distributed/sold out ever game.

9. houstondynamofan

houstondynamofan Red Card

May 7, 2006
    houston,tx

Nobody else does it nearly to their degree except maybe Columbus.

10. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How? You're still not answering the question, just responding with other unproven claims.

11. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing

Those are referred to as "the lost years" in Columbus. :D

12. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC

That's what I say when I watch LA play.

13. Bujdasz

Bujdasz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Chicago

I too really dont like Chivas USA. Why dont we just make a Chealsea USA or Liverpool USA. pretty stupid and obviously mexicans dont care at all.

14. NebraskaAddick

Aug 26, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope people can make a distinction between the team and the club. Chivas USA is a really good team on the pitch. I just wish those players didn't have to play for that club. They deserve better than having to play for a club like that, who branded themselves all wrong, and can't get any fan support. Maykel Galindo is one of the most exciting players in MLS, and being that he's a Cuban refugee, it adds a special touch, but then it really sucks he has to play for Chivas USA.

I don't think it's a question of "if", but of "when." It is inevitable that this team will either fold, or be rebranded, renamed, relocated, etc. That's because money speaks. The owner will eventually get the picture, that this isn't working, that having a really good team on the pitch is still not going to bring in the fans, as long as they're perceived as a second-rate substitute for the more famous Chivas in Guadalajara.

The same would be the case if Crystal Palace Baltimore joined MLS. It's supposed to be a major league, a top flight, so we don't need some other league's satellites. I think it would be great if Chivas USA owner switched to USL-2 next year. That would be more fitting. He could then use the club to play his reserves in, while MLS clubs are aiming to beat the top Mexican clubs in SuperLiga.

And if this were any other club--even Kansas City--it would bother me to see them lose money, because we want MLS to succeed in all corners of the country. But Chivas USA is like an appendix or a tonsil. It's not an essential organ we need, and if it were lopped off, it wouldn't be felt much by most of us.

15. PHX Soccer

PHX Soccer Member

Feb 8, 2007
    AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it looks like the consensus among the fans of MLS outside of the dozens of fans of the Chivas are that they have no purpose in the league.

16. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

The brand does but the product on the field doesent. Im pretty shure if Chivas USA fielded an all Mexican American team with a couple of good Mexican players Mexican fans will flock to the home depot, but this wont work in MLS, and I dont see this ever happening. We know this gimick will work because we saw the attendence numbers the first year, even though we sucked.

I think it does hold the team back with some teams. In Mexico Chivas is very well loved by most of the fans in Mexico for the exception of America and Atlas fans, but i could see other fans that live in LA go and watch Chivas USA IF the team was all Mexican, because than Chivas USA will represent Mexicans due to its all mexican roster. This sort of thing happend when Pachuca played in the Superliga final and Mexicans of all teams rooted for Pachuca.

17. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I wouldnt say we have no purpose, Im pretty shure every MLS fan loves the way Chivas USA plays and the great attacking mentality we have. This is due to the fact Chivas USA is Chivas little brother and they have adopted the methods and mentality which Chivas plays. Chivas USA plays this way because of El Guadalajara otherwise we would play a whole different way.

Our purpose is to play attractive futbol and not run around like wild horses with no technical ability like other MLS teams do. I wont get into it but Chivas USA has also adopted the way to develop players from Chivas, Chivas USA has one of the best if not the best youth systems in MLS.

18. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First of Futgod, contradict yourself with the superliga match...saying that if CUSA fielded all Mexicans/Americans of Mexican decent, then the crowds would flock...and point to the first year of the clubs existance. But anybody with a half brain could conclude that the first year counts for little in most instances...and especially more when it's a club with a gimmick like that of CUSA. It was more out of curiousity that poeple came out. As far as fielding players, you yourself proved that that notion is incorrect, because tons of Mexicans attended the SL final and cheered for Pachuca, a club that is not known for great Mexican players or even a majority of fielded Mexican players. Also CUSA does NOT play like CDGuad, CDGuad does not play high pressure nor do they play a flowing counter attacking offensive game. If you'd actually pay attention to the intricacies of the field play of both squads. Two different coaching staffs w/ two different styles, and two very different squads...but a similar crest and name does not equal a mirror team. NYRB does NOT play like Red Bull Salzburg simply because they have the same crest and owners. To even insinuate such a thing is ludacrous. Sorry to break the news to you, but Chivas USA doesn't have the best youth system in MLS...infact I haven't really seen one product come out of that camp in it's elustrious three year tenure....

19. sfgproperties

sfgproperties Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's Move Chivas to San Antonio

I read on a Soccer America email today that Chivas gets no love or support in LA.
    Of course they don't. The stadium is no where near its fan base. They have no DP or stars (yet they are a good MLS team)
    Let's move them to a city that will love them and c. support them. San Antonio offers the perfect demographic, The perfect marketing environment, and a few choice stadium alternatives until an ownership group can build or develop an area.

Come on MLS. Lets MOVE CHIVAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Let's Move Chivas to San Antonio

I dont think S. Antonio is the right place-it has the fans but not a good location. You will have three MLS team in one state, when you could easily move them and get full support from Philly or St. Louis. [even though they have a low amount of hispanic influence]

21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chivas should move... to a new stadium in the LA area. LA is a heavily populated but spread out metro area. With the Galaxy selling well, there is clearly room for a second team to thrive in the city, but what they need is something distinctive. Playing in the HDC and Carson, they will always be second fiddle to the established team with the glitz. What they need is to offer something different from the Galaxy -- yes, winning is a start, but it's not enough. But if they move to Pomona or someone else in the LA area, then they can carve out their own niche -- by drawing in soccer fans who live closer to that neighborhood and who don't want to deal with the drive to the HDC. That is how two team markets thrive.

Move to a new stadium and win and fans will come even with the second rate knockoff name.

22. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why not move the Galaxy, they will draw and sell season ticket wherever they go as long as Beckham is there. The fans left behind will find their way to Chivas. Its a win win. Galaxy will still seelout and Chivas will get a huge bump in attendence

23. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007

if they were to move it wuld only make sense for them to stay in the southern us, with a big spanish population, like arizona, new mexico, florida, etc

24. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005

They'd get better attendance playing on the moon.

Jaime Cárdenas at the LA Times has a fairly upbeat story about the Chivas battling back from 2 down last night. (Registration required. otherwise I'd post the link.)

Preki was pretty strangely happy with a tie, having gone toe to toe with a premier team like DCU. It's strange, because (1) you want to win home games, (2) one of Chivas' goals was Perkin's bizaare ricochet off somebody's butt (3) United looked exhausted and played like crap most of the game but still managed two quality goals (4) they couldn't draw more than 9,300 for a game against DC, who everyone else in MLS hates.

Co-owner Antonio Cue was also strangely upbeat, despite having fired his GM earlier in the day:

Cue said he would announce a replacement Monday, and he promised that it would be "one of the biggest moves this franchise will ever do in their history."

"I want to have the best front office," Cue said. "It took me three years to be, probably tonight, one of the top teams in the league and I want to have the same thing at the front office. . . .

"I think everyone we'll see the commitment that this ownership is taking with this company."

I guess they feel like they've gotten things pretty well figured out on the field (which is true) and now they'll finally figure out how to fill the stands.

25. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Somehow, I doubt florida would work...it may have a large Latino population, but not very many mexicans. I think a Boca franchise would do pretty well there though.