The Chelsea Transfer Thread or Linha de transferência de Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh, is that what he mean't. I thought he was referring to the last person to wear number 7 for Chelsea.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's a cursed number.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mute, Sheva, etc

4. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We had a player named Mute? :confused::p

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doh!

Of all the players who didnt work out for various reasons, I had the highest hopes for him by the way. A little guilty pleasure type player admission. Friggin coke head.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's doing well for Fiorentina now.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And an interesting story on that number.

I hate to be negative, but there’s good reason, I promise. No sooner had the promise of hope and excitement of a new signing in the form of our new Portuguese winger been thrust upon us, it was taken away just as quickly by the news the new boy is to wear the number 7 shirt.

You see, the number 7 shirt is a curse. It’s not a particularly long-standing one, rather a more recent revelation, but the fact is, previous Chelsea occupants of the number made famous worldwide by so many legendary names have….failed to live up to their billing, shall we say?

The inception of squad numbers wasn’t for everyone, but some fifteen years down the line, it leaves us with such facile trivia that you can’t help but be intrigued. John Spencer was the first permanent owner of the 7 shirt at Stamford Bridge, and he was pretty good to be fair to him, scoring goals fairly regularly, some big goals, and was generally likeable. Unfortunately, it seems to go a bit pear-shaped as you move on.

In 1997, French utility player Bernard Lambourde arrived in SW6, and whilst he wasn’t particularly bad at what was asked of him, he was neither a first teamer, nor the calibre of player you expect to see in such a notable, regular XI shirt. Evidently, those at the club agreed, quietly shifting Lambourde to 21, and handing the 7 to Bjarne Goldbaek.

Now I loved Barney. He was something of a cracking gem on Championship Manager 97/98, and when he joined Chelsea from FC Kobenhavn there was some excitement. He never really lived up to his computer game billing though, and struggled to hold down a regular place in an ever-evolving Chelsea team beginning to really experience success. He did, however, score a total screamer away to Tottenham, and thus will forever be a hero to me.

At the turn of the century, with Bjarne’s departure down the road to Fulham, he handed the number to World Cup winning captain Didier Deschamps. He was magnificent at times, but clearly past his best days, and like his legs, his ability began to decline throughout the season. It was as if his fading signified the problems ahead for this famous shirt – as he was about to hand it over to a man whose name Chelsea fans still like to avoid saying.

Winston Bogarde. Not much more really needs to be said, but for the sake of a few more words, I’ll simply say he never really did what he was supposed to. He never really did anything to be blunt, but he collected a sizeable wage for his contribution and seemed pretty happy to do so. Unfortunately he sullied the 7 shirt, or any other shirt at the club, and more importantly, totally cursed it forever. If the previous occupants of the number were hit and miss, we were now staring into the abyss.

Not that we’d necessarily have known it in 2003, when Claudio Ranieri had enough of dear Winston and brushed him aside from the squad list altogether. Romanian hitman Adrian Mutu came in and took the number 7, and exploded out of the gate in fine form. Did I tease you too much there? Apologies if so, because after some on-field struggles and well-documented extra-curricular activities, Chelsea were down one world-class striker, and the number 7 had another name on its hit list.

With Mutu’s departure, the shirt remained vacant for a little while. Discussion of such a curse was now occasionally part of matchday conversation. A discussion which became a little bit more regular when Jose Mourinho signed Maniche on loan in 2006 and duly threw him under a bus immediately by assigning him the shirt of doom. Eleven appearances (just five starts) and a red card against West Ham later, and he returned from whence he came, doing little to allay the fears of a cursed shirt.

False hope was once again given to all in the summer of the same year, when the protracted transfer of Andriy Shevchenko finally went through for some £30m. The number seven vacant for a player who had worn it his entire career? No problem, the Ukrainian was the saviour for the number, for Mourinho, for the entire club it seemed. Two years down the line, and it’s probably safe to say that his name is etched in the indelible history of this unfortunate number.

8. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    ah thank god a positive omen for our already sealed in our hearts number 7. This will definitely help Walter to change his opinion on Q.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Quaresma's number 18 mate. :)

10. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See:Irony

11. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    boy you guys really know how to kill a party

first off no one can really complain about Q cuz he hasnt played yet

second whats this whole attitude of players talk, if he wears our shirt, and plays consistently, then who gives a shit what kinda person he is, its not like u know him, and dont reply with bullshit u read in the times

if u dont like "Cashly" then piss off, we all like him

and nother thing, Q isnt ronaldo, but he is a wide player, something we lack ATM

12. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

13. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm a little slow on the draw today. At first I thought the last number 7 was a legend or something like Makelele and he didn't want Quaresma tarnishing that number.
    Yeah, but none of us really like Cashly.

14. Scolari

Scolari New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Speak for yourself Macksam.

15. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    im sure the majority of chelsea supporters support and like ashly cole

16. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I do.

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it have to be both?

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst sig. ever.

19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I support him when he pulls on Chelsea blue or the Three Lions.

I do not like him overly much - but then again, I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot whether I like him or not.

20. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on a roll. :)

21. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    nope, only the former for me, though I like his game better this year mostly...

Will I support, not boo, and hope a new Q emerges both in game and demenour professionalism...yes

Do I still think he is a whingy, cheating, unprofessional, lazy, selfish ******** not fit to wear the Blue...yes, the fact our behind the sceners gave him a blue shirt does not erase all he has been up to now....

Can he earn his way past that... yes, but the key is he has to earn it not be givin a pass, rationalized oe excused away, or ffs compared to Lamp's profesionalism:eek: kangaroo court time, just cause he is now in Blue...

will he...I hope so but remain highly sceptical...

should everyone attack Walter just because he believes one should meet a certain standerd of professionalism to wear the Blue regardless of the desperate need our idiotic transfer policy has caused...No, he should be applauded and besides there is plenty of other reasons to give him crap about:p

there are plenty of other player we could have gotten, we have youth we could play more, and yes getting desperate and signing Q I believe is another nick in the soul of the club which is geting far too cut up of late, and I don't give an eff who agrees or not with that:)

but its done so now we move on and hope it works and hope Q decides to grow up, play fair and give it his all so this will be my last word on the matter in this thread , and I'll just agree to disagree with any who disagree.

22. Scolari

Scolari New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I would have to completely agree. I :rolleyes: when I saw it.

23. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Obasi, we call him Obasi. Edu is his nick name. ;)

I've read an interview where he said that he did some training lessons when he was 17,18 in Chelsea..... That the club showed intersted but he had problems with the work permit. So he went...... to Norway.

Great player. Bit too often injured but fantastic young guy. His first touch (in the air ) is one of the best I've seen, so elegant ....

24. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Judging by the replies that came after this post, I don't think they all do tiger. However, I definately don't hate him, and I support him during games. That's for sure.
    It made me laugh. I'll join his fan club in due time.:cool:

25. KumarsS

KumarsS Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Champaign, IL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dislike and don't support players who stir up unnecessary conflict (e.g., Drogba) and/or consistently and miserably underperform (e.g., Deco), because they themselves are a conscious detriment to the club. That's not something worth supporting.

A player like Ashley who I find repulsive off the pitch has my complete support on the pitch as long as he plays as well as can be expected of him and is loyal to the club.