The Champions League is killing Football

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by roykeanes_safc, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yup, i totally agree with the first post

the CL and it's hype machine has brainwashed some people so much it makes me mad somtimes.

there are 25 good reasons for things to go back to how it used to be.

2. YenSter

YenSter Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have to agree with this point. By limiting the amount of foreigners in each league will give a chance to the smaller CL clubs (as they generally have less foreigners) and even out the competition. It will also force the top G14 teams to look more inward towards their own leagues when buying players, thus distributing the wealth back into their leagues and narrowing the financial gap between the top teams.

3. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Would you care about real supporters if you were making millions of dollars?

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    There's hooligans and then there's hardcore fans. Not all hardcore fans are hooligans. Many clubs in Holland now rely on self-policing, i..e they've given fans more facilities and more power in the club and as a result trouble inside the stadium is now virtually non-existent. It's when you start treating your own fans as idiots that it all turns into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

5. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    why does FC Twente want to grow?

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If this was concerning my own club, why yes of course. There are plenty of professional clubs that are ruled and financed by locals who genuinely care about the club in the long term and are not necessarily interested in bettering themselves - my own club notably. And if it's a choice for me between keeping local investors and never getting rich as a club or attracting foreign investors who give feck all about this club, I'd much rather stay locally financed thank you very much. My enjoyment of my club does not depend on the ability to attract star players or win champions leagues.

The fact that you even ask that question says a lot not just about you but about how perceptions about football have changed recently. Some people can't even see football as anything other than a business, it seems.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    a) to survive as a professional football club
    b) to hold on to (homegrown) players longer than we now can
    c) to accommodate the thousands of fans who want to see Twente but so far couldn't as stadium capacity didn't allow for it.

In summary, to keep their own fans happy.

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    all of this is why international football is the purest.

and why it should be the main event, just like before this CL hype began

9. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Most clubs want to grow to get better, challenge for prizes, get on the bigger stage because it brings more fame and fortune.

10. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    It is indisputable that the Champions League is killing football. It is intended to create and perpetuate a footballing oligarchy. The result is that the domestic championships on which teams justifiy participation in the Champion League have become afterthoughts. The big clubs will fight against salary caps because they'll need to compete in Europe.

From a competitive standpoint it is boring. And the spectacle has become weighed down by tons of ponderous Europomp.

Unfortunately, no one in Europe has the decency or guts to do anything about it. Because they love hearing weird regal hymns as they look down from the directors box.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've been a fan of this club for 30 years, and all that time we've won the grand total of two prizes, two domestic cups to be exact. And that's probably more than the majority of football fans in Europe have seen their club win! I'm not bothered about fame and fortune.

12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If I believed in the fascist repping system I'd rep you for that post.

13. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    You're not the club though. You're "just" a hard core fan.

You think the players and coaching staff want to get better to please the fans? Or because it gives them a shot at fame and fortune?

14. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    Is that supposed to make me feel better about myself?

Ajax, in my mind, was one of the last real champions of European football. Watching them was indeed a pleasure.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I am 100% convinced that the core of our management board, coaching staff and homegrown players are genuinely dedicated to the club and its fans. Of course the players and coaching staff will leave when they can earn a shedload more elsewhere. That wouldn't make me question their good intentions though.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Ajax hasn't been the same since they went public and appointed a management board that couldn't care less.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, I don't think it has affected the Bundesliga too much because (and correct me if I'm wrong) apart from Bayern, no German team has received much money off the CL since the same clubs don't always qualify.

18. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    That's nice, but you didn't answer my question. Do you think the players and coaching staff want to get better to please the fans? Or because it gives them a shot at fame and fortune (either with Twente or somewhere else)?

19. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, that's the big problem...

Listen to the Liverpool fans (during the home game against Aston Villa):

CLICK

20. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    International fooball is boring, like Arsene Wenger said the quality of the fooball is second rate because the players don't play together, it puts me to sleep watching the world cup.

21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It would if you were english :p

22. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what a lot of people don't realise is that the prize money is "weighted" based on the amount of TV revenue each country brings in. This, again, makes sure that as much money as possible get shovelled in the direction of the big clubs who UEFA want to always be there, as they bring in the ratings.

23. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sorry, but that kind of thinking only comes from having not even the faintest clue about the dynamics of a league with promotion and relegation.

The American "top down" view, seeing the system as something that does nothing but kick teams out of the division to one below, nearly always fails to see the other side of the coin - that the promoted teams will get stronger as a result - or that a promoted team can actually be better as a team and as a club than a relegated one.

There's also a failure to understand that it's quite possible for a team to go down and come back up again, and have a better team and a better bank balance afterwards.

If relegation really is the problem, how does it explain, for example, the complete inability of the likes of Aston Villa, Everton, Spurs or Newcastle to be even close to the big 4? Everton & Spurs used to be regarded as part of the "big 5" in the 80s.

24. O Fenômeno

O Fenômeno New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ah who thinks the CL is shite...a bunch of fans from england..most notably liverpole and chelsea fans..

25. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    So what youre saying is you Johan Neeskens if you were in charge of club would personally turn down millions of dollars that would go into your personal bank account for the sake of supporters? I doubt that as I would doubt anyone in hat position would as we are all human and one of the flaws of being human is doing almost anything to get rich.