The Central Midfield Battle

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 19, 2013.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Aogo adding needed quality on both sides of the ball at LB and KPB CAM the overall balance of the team seems to have positively shifted. Neu and Hoger have started at CM in the last few wins, should we expect them to get the start v Bayern this weekend with Jones coming in off the bench?

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Jones to start. Hoeger just hasn't been impressive. He's definitely improving, but isn't "there" yet. Besides, we need to do a bit of squad rotation. I expect Meyer and Goretzka to come in early against Bayern, and play significant minutes midweek against Darmstadt.

Eventually, we should also try a Kolasinac/Neu double pivot. Maybe Kola will be able to play on Wednesday.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you thinking Neu and Jones in the standard 4-2-3-1 or will we see a more defensive 4-3-3 with Jones and KPB as dual #8s in front of Neu.

I think against Bayern we may need KPB to play more of a box-to-box #8 instead of an attacking CAM.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever works. I'd be a bit nervous about making a tactical change for our second hardest game of the season. I really wish we had coach/trainer that I trusted to implement that kind of tactical change.

5. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be very surprised if Jones doesn't start on Saturday...like LDD said, squad rotation has to come into play.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they don't formally switch to the 4-3-3, KPB will need to spend a significant amount of time helping out in deep midfield especially wide v Robben with Jones helping out v Ribery.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jones out?

F I N A L L Y

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say that, but unless we bring in a replacement, it will be a huge blow. Jones has been the most consistent center midfielder we've had over the last 2 and a half seasons. We already have 0 depth at the position, especially with injuries. I think the proper reaction to this news is quiet concern, not relief.

Epitome990 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LongDuckDong repped this.
  11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defour hasn't been playing consistently for Porto, and he seems like less of a defensive player. Bradley is pretty similar to Neu, but no matter it appears he's moving to Toronto FC ( :eek: ). Träsch is injured, no? And Schalke has said the Holtby stuff is BS.

Where does that leave us? I guess Bradley is transferring to TFC, but the season doesn't start until March. We could loan him for 2-3 months and hope Kirchhoff can come back in that time frame. But I'm not sure he's a huge upgrade over Jones/Neu.

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest talk I saw was moving to a 4-1-4-1 when the Hunter returns with Draxler, Meyer, KPB, and Farfan in front of Neu. Good luck with the pledge to give up less goals the 2nd half of the season.

naopon and LongDuckDong repped this.
  15. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Holtby link always sounded kind of odd to me. I mean, they would in effect just have paid Spurs a bunch of money to babysit him for a year? Unless they were just talking loan.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he'd cost much. We have a buy-back clause. Yeah, it would be weird, but I don't think that weirdness is what's holding the transfer back.

naopon repped this.