The Central Midfield Battle

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, Neustädter was horrible. Gave away the ball far too many times. Generally looked somewhat absent minded.

Generally our midfield in center was pretty bad especially in the first half. Hamburg ruled that space and smothered any decent built up play. Keller has to figure out something so that we won't get stopped by three players (lightly) pressuring our centerbacks. That is something which already happend last season far too often.

Well, I have to say in the end I'm not surprised by the match. The transfers, as much as I like them, didn't immediatly adress our biggest problems. No wonder the team played more or less like last year.

Just hope Draxler's injury isn't serious.

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really shocking? He didn't exactly have the best season last year.
    Yeah, our biggest weaknesses were defensive midfield and outside back, and these areas remain unchanged. I'm not sure what Heldt and Keller were thinking.

I know Fuchs had that assist today, but I think he needs to sit next weekend. And Uchida probably also needs to sit. I know you're opposed to spending more money on a winger to replace Bastos, but we really need someone. With Draxler injured and Farfan still recovering from the Flu, our attack was lacking a cutting edge today. We really need someone else we can rely on.

3. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This. Uchida was miserable, and Fuchs was only redeemed by his admittedly classy set up of the goal.

4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now, instead of having a week to train and rebound from this performance, we have the international break. :mad:

5. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, this is just a midweek FIFA friendly deal...back in action next Saturday in Wolfsburg!

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant. Our players are going to be off which national teams instead of ironing out the numerous wrinkles we saw against Hamburg.

7. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, I see what you mean. At least we don't have to worry about that with Draxler now. :(

8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Nuestaedter (4,5) really got dinged in the kicker ratings, but he deserved it. That was a dreadful performance. Jones received a 3, but perhaps 3,5 would have been a better mark.

I have to think Goretzka and Jones will start next weekend.

9. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    4,5 is too good for Neustädter.

I hope they will. I'm still not really sure what to expect from Keller. Doesn't look as if the work in pre-season improved anything. I also don't know how much of the problem is the individual quality of (some) players and how much is down to bad tactics.

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's most likely a little bit of both.

He has bad outside backs to work with, and his tactics should take that into account. He shouldn't rely on his outside backs to do so much defending AND attacking. Let them support the attack, but don't expect them to generate chances. Their primary duty should be defense.

Then he should ask Jones to stay a little deeper. Goretzka should support the attack a bit more, but both of them need to be ready to absorb counters. Most importantly, at these "weak" areas in the lineup, Keller needs to specialize and simplify tasks. He shouldn't be asking these players to play total football. This "simpler" kind of tactical system is less dynamic, but I think it's necessary until the players build a little more cohesion.

CCinGermany repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the tactics side the team played primarily a 4-4-2 in the preseason which may not be the best fit for the player pool. I am also not convinced that Jones and Goretzka provides enough defensive spine in the 4-2-3-1.

I think a 4-3-3 with Jones and Goretzka as drivers with Nuestaedter holding and Draxler cutting in from AML may be the best option with the current player pool.

12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but Keller should have been trying this stuff out in pre-season. It's a little bit late.

13. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I feel like the 4-4-2 is Keller's prefered system, for what ever reason.

Duck's idea to simplify the tasks looks like the best idea to me. Of course nobody here knows what playing style the coaches are aiming for in the next couple of months.

Kolasinac pretty much played the "simple" way last year. This resulted in our left side being pretty barren attacking wise. Made us somewhat predictable.
    Uchida and Fuchs also have their strengths going forward not defending. Maybe it is better to rely on that.

Biggest issue imo is the defensive midfield. Neustädter and Jones, at least the way they are playing atm, can't be used anymore. They get nothing right. It would be understable using them, if they could stabilize and screen the defense but they aren't doing that.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to pick your poison. If both FBs are great at attacking not defending then you better have 2 CMs who are defensively great, especially in transition defense. Count the number of covering tackles and runs Jones had to make for Fuchs against Hamburger.

It is one thing to say Neustädter and Jones can't be used anymore but who will you replace them with unless you are also going to replace one or both FBs?

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The season is only one match old so I hope it is not too late. Note that when Draxler got hurt it was Goretzka who replace him at AM not Barnetta or Hoger who were also available.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think Fuchs could be any good as a "double pivot" central midfield player? I don't see him getting many more opportunities at left back this season, but outside backs generally make for decent center midfielders.

17. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Normally tactically intelligent players are good fullbacks and therefore also good central midfielders. Well Fuchs is neither of those things.

I don't think it's a good idea.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If there's any outside backs that should be converted into CMs, it should be Kolasinac. He did well against Galatsaray when he was converted to that position temporarily.

timh19 repped this.
  19. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    LOL I was just about to write that Kolasinac should be the DM and that he did great against Galatasaray in the Champions League. Great minds think alike ;)

However, the '' outside backs converted into CMs'' bit is not true about Kolasinac. His best position is DM/CM and he's been converted into a left back. That's been mainly because he is too young to start in a key central role so to get experience they've put him out wide.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't try it in a first team match, but maybe a friendly or with the reserves. In general, you may be right, but it has to be worth a shot. As is, he's permenently relegated to the bench.

I just hate having high paid guys languishing on the bench. It happens every year.

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You sell them next year, no big deal. :D And I'm a big fan of meritocracy. Doesn't matter what you get paid, you don't produce, you go to the bench.

22. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell them to who? The issue with Schalke is that we have the second highest payroll in the league. There aren't any teams in the league that can afford a lot of the salaries on our payroll. When a guy like Fuchs can't win a spot for us, no one is going to buy him at his current salary.

What are our options? Sell him for $0 and/or offer to pay some of his salary, loan him out and pay part of his salary, sit on his contract until it expires. Certainly the former two options are better, but they're not ideal.

23. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Fuchs has enough international reputation to be interesting for a Premiere League club. The issue is rather whether he's interested in a move abroad with his problematic private life (ugly divorce).

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see who starts in the middle of the park for the @ Mainz match. Jones went 90 and Draxler 75 on international duty on Tuesday.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic, but Farfan was apparently crushed that Peru were eliminated. Hopefully it just fires him up more to play for us.