The Center Back Situation Post Copa: Where do we go from here? Who Stays who goes?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 1, 2024.

1. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Brooks was basically co-MOTM in the first nation's league final. He was up for it. Not quite Onyewu level, but he was massive that game.

Then he completely bricked in the first window of qualifying and didn't seem to react well.

Don't overlook that when Brooks was good he was quite good. But now he's not.

Trusty didn't look good at all when I watched that team. The team looked bad and he didn't suggest some talent waiting for a better opportunity.

Better be hoping some young gun like Neal makes a leap or else CB will be a problem for the next several years.

2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    While Neal is the most promising of our young CBs playing at the 1st team level both McKenzie and Trusty have the potential to help bridge the gap until Neal and the other younger guns (Wynder, Banks, Akinmboni) are ready. I'm hoping McKenzie moves to a team in a more challenging league. I think the right level for him would be a team in France, Holland or Portugal.

Bajoro and Marko72 repped this.
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dike came back from the first one. He'll come back from this one, too. And, hopefully, now that both will be surgically repaired, the injury won't recur. Or move up to his hamstrings or something.

Bajoro, Pegasus, The Clientele and 2 others repped this.
  4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly Dietz appears to have been picked over Neal for the Olympics versus it being a release issue.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m glad we’re going to get the opportunity to see a lot of him at the Olympics after not seeing him at all this summer.

Yowza and tomásbernal repped this.
  6. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    With 2 overage CB's I'm ok with Neal staying with his club. The likelihood of his getting little playing time might have factored into the decision.

Yowza repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently one of the factors was Dietz has played the 6 with his club before (and we only have one on the roster otherwise).

I haven’t really watch Dietz play a ton so I don’t have a strong opinion on him as a player.

8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks was also a beast in the Copa. He’s still only 31. If Gregg gets fired he might find his way back. Not many had Ream getting the second chance he did and he’s made the most of it.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Is Mahoney move into center back? According the first preseason game, it could be.

Yowza repped this.
  10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, im satisfied with that combined reasoning.

i also saw that cowell wasnt a release issue, so im officially bothered.

11. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Busio has and can play the 6.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but he's a more of a pocket Pirlo type than a true defensive mid. I've never watched Dietz play there but as he's also a CB I'm confident he's a very defensive #6. So perfect to close out games when there's a lead ad to spell Tessmann. Tessmann by the way is being thrown into the fire as basically the only trueish #6 and he's not really a solo #6 either. I do disagree with some that these midfielders can't move the ball forward as Busio is decent as a sort of 6/8/10 and Tessmann was by far the best long passing midfielder in Serie B. If he can ping those long switches on a platter like he's capable of wingers should be in some nice positions. Will he be able to if pressed?

gomichigan24 repped this.
  13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The ball-winning is what is lacking. The game has evolved so that less and less ball-winning is expected of midfielders. However, even by modern standards the group we are taking to the Olympics is notably lacking in this department. This might have helped Cremaschi get a ticket.

14. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the trade off (better passing and leadership for less athleticism and lower line of confrontation) is worth it, keep him.

We are split between "disorganizing the opponent with the ball" and "rest defense in a low block". I think the latter is a compromise for the former since we can't compress the field without risking our CB's getting burned. Our offense would look better (at least our possession would be closer to goal) by making the other trade, ie athletic CB's with worse passing out of the back. Miles, McKenzie, etc. If you go MMA in the midfield I'm not sure Ream's passing is especially useful... he's like the one quality passer in the buildup.

But GB refuses to punt, now you end up with this mismatch, all the risk of playing out of the back, none of the reward.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    FYI rest defense is the term for the organization of the base of a team’s in possession structure, especially when pushed up the field. The concept is that by having your CBs and DM and other deeper players in certain positions it makes it harder for the other team to counter you when you lose the ball and easier for you to win it back quickly and keep the pressure up.

For the USMNT things have changed up and it depends who are FBs are. Typically both our FBs are on the DM line until we advance into attack. Once the ball is higher the ballside FB will tend to be wide on the CM line, looking for a chance to overlap, while the weakside FB will be tucked in closer to the DM line. Our attack had a left sided bias this tournament (after being balanced at the WC) but I do think it intentional to have Jedi overlap more to let our LW to invert.

Marko72 and largegarlic repped this.
  16. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and we rarely can take risks with the ball because of the coverage at CB. It limits our offense because we can't let two CBs and a single DM/FB effectively compress the field so the mids can win the ball back in the attacking half. At least against decent teams. Our attackers have to make more "defensive" choices to help protect them rather than just think about attacking patterns of play.

Who would you start at CB?

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeeper is going to be the biggest free for all, but this will be a close second. I will honestly be completely content if the new philosophy is “when in doubt boot it to Row Z”. Playing out of the back is. A luxury not a necessity. I’d prefer guys clear it and defense first if that’s that they’re comfortable with.

Make Goochanegra ball great again

Bajoro and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The midfield is starting to look crowded if everyone can stay healthy. Do we consider trying Johnny at CB? Maybe even Tessman if he steps it up in a better league this year.

Could be an option if none of the MLS guys step up.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tessmann absolutely should get a look at center back. Has the size and athleticism to take that on

20. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Before Brooks can find his way back he must first find a club.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. Will be interesting to see what he does. His move to Benfica was so he could play in a highline for Gregg. The move back to Germany was about getting back on track. He played well enough. I suspect he stays in Germany this time even if he has to adjust his salary demands.

22. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I’m not not waiting.

eagercolin, gogorath and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something......something.......Wild Things........something.......turned boys into men......something.....something....

24. GoodHands

GoodHands New Member

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jul 17, 2024
    #199 GoodHands, Jul 21, 2024 at 10:31 PM
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2024 at 10:36 PM
    Way Way Way off topic
    Show Spoiler

I misread this post and my eyes saw "Wild Things" as "Wild Thing" and my brain quickly leapt to "The Troggs" and from there it was only a short hop to the 1989 movie "Major League" and from there to....

I just wonder if this is not a case of "I know that you understand what you thought I said but what you don't understand is that what I said wasn't what I meant."

"Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of demons." Aldous Huxley

Winoman repped this.
  25. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a hard time getting my head around how the writer of the wild "Wild Thing" also wrote the sad and beautiful "(Just Call Me) Angel of the Morning." Two different universes, those tunes.

ChrisSSBB, Winoman and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.