The Cavan Sullivan Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Maximum Optimal, Apr 10, 2022.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won’t take him just because MLS and City want him there. It’d be terrible for team culture to do so and take a spot from someone else for that reason.

If he goes it’s because he’s killing it in MLS where it’s clear just how good a prospect is and he shows it when he comes to camp.

2. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The post I replied to was talking about a young hotshot like young ronaldo, I assumed this was prefaced

gomichigan24 repped this.
  3. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I mean we took Julian Green to WC

jaykoz3, xbhaskarx and Maximum Optimal repped this.
  4. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Not that I totally think Cavan will make it or that the comparison I’m going to make is fair. Cavan will have insane hype around him in his favor. If he strings along half of season starting at Philly with average MLS production, we will be talking about if he should be called up. Endrick started getting call ups for Brazil before he had a really elite season in the Brazil league.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but I don’t think it was the correct decision to take him and leave Landon Donovan home.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me Julian Green is at Bayern, Landon Donovan who

Zinkoff, deejay, gogorath and 3 others repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We won't have Donovan in 2026.

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    ya. He was playing every game and scored 3 in 2 games right before

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure but Julian Green going to the World Cup isn’t a great example in terms of Sullivan.

10. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    He played less than half of available league minutes the year he got his first cap. Obviously the circumstances are different for him, but other players who are doing that aren’t getting called up to the Brazilian national team.

My point more broadly is that Cavan wouldn’t need to be an MLS best 11 player to make the USMNT (none of the 2023 best 11 are even on this team). Because he’s the elite prospect, who does special things, going to a big club he may not need to have a full season of greatness. That was the comparison.

Coolwhip and twoolley repped this.
  11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Totally reasonable comparison. Sorry was just adding a detail that he had performed a bit but can see it seemed potentially argumentative. I agree he won’t necessarily need to have proven top 23 quality per se to be considered.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unless he gets a better haircut.

13. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That Yamal angle pretty much covers it. If you want to play at WC '26 like Lamine is playing at Euro '24 you've got to lay down your marker throughout the '25-'26 season, and it needs to be a pretty damn impressive marker. He's basically got the '24 MLS season, and the '25 MLS/'25-'26 Big 5 league seasons to get the job done. It's too big of an ask and almost certainly won't happen, but it is possible. I've fluctuated between 1-3% and 5-10%, but it's still somewhere within those windows, somewhere between 1 in a 100 and 1 in 10, but I think its probably about 1 in 25 to 1 in 50. It's almost certainly not going to happen, but if he blows up like Kendrick, Yamal, and Paez have, than it goes from almost impossible, to conceivable but unlikely. Fun to imagine as a possibility though, and I agree w/you, historically, the bulk of these guys make their debut's in major tournaments between 17 and 20.

14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    We've got a decent chunk of attacking central mids though, quite a few, this isn't like CB, where there's a deep but mediocre pool, or like fullback, where its both shallow and top heavy before bottoming out completely, CM, and WF are our deepest positions groups. It will be hard, but if he's as good as advertised, he'll probably make it a topic of conversation two springs from now.

15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    That was the shallowest roster we had had since 1990. Big difference between the 1990 and 2014 pool's and the 2026 pool, the deepest ever by far.

16. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #1816 Maximum Optimal, Jun 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    In that case I don't see a problem putting Cavan on the team.

xbhaskarx and butters59 repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx BigSoccer Yellow Card

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something for Cavan to shoot for, before the 2026 World Cup

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  18. Dr. Soccer90

Dr. Soccer90 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I am one of those people who still thinks he should have made his pro-debut until he was at least 15-years old like Alphonso Davies (15 years & 5 months). 16-years old would be better.

Both Landon Donovan & Christian Pulisic, two past prospects similar to Sullivan, made their Pro debuts at 17 years old.

I just don't see the need to rush 14-year olds into professional contact sports leagues.

If he debuts in MLS, 2025 should be the earliest.

butters59 and McKenniesWeah repped this.
  19. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    I agree. If he starts dominating MLSNP towards the end of the season then give him a sub appearance with the first team. Otherwise, MLSNP looks to be a good level for him right now and likely for the rest of the season. Getting minutes at 15yrs old in MLS now is more impressive than at 14yrs old many years ago when MlS quality was much lower.

20. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS Next Pro replays:

If it’s streaming on Apple TV, no.

On YouTube, yes.

23. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    He’s played well. More involved than I’ve seen in other games. Certainly has some great moments and some others where you’d think he’d do better such as a sitter he missed wide. Obviously he’s only 14 so his mistakes will be some great lessons.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    At least you guy aren't hyping this kid up too much. With all the great attacking players MLS has developed for the USMNT, no reason a 16 yo won't be able to beat out the established players entering their prime.

25. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Are you attempting to troll with sarcastic commentary about MLS? Or am I misunderstanding your post?