The Cauldron: Language an Issue (again)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped, that's awesome. I would be interested to see what he had to say if we all wrote letters like that.

2. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    This is really great Roush, rep for you. Maybe cut out the second stanza though and sing it like this for brevity's sake? We should do it on the 16th.

EDIT- You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roush again. Somebody will give it to you.

3. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put the second stanza in to hopefully get some people in the crowd to join in and start clapping, to try to create a distinct disconnect between our not clapping and the rest of the crowd clapping.

I'm open for anything, but I don't think it would be that hard to do.

On another note... Would it be too much to ask to have the Papa John's Magic Minutes at the first five minutes of the first half? Since it's the only time the whole crowd cheers, why do we wait until the dying gasp of the game?

4. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The more I think about it, the more I get angered about this situation. Your attendance is declining so let's pick on the people who still care. I know there will be people coming in and explaining why that scenario makes sense, but it still seems illogical.

I agree with Andy. At least act like you're in a position of power by making counterdemands.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm with you, and I'm with you. Both points are valid.

Let me say this, and maybe I should have been more clear about this from the beginning. Curt and I were emailing back and forth about some other stuff and he put these comments in the "PS..." section. He did go out of his way to bring it up, and he did type more in that PS about cursing than he types about most topics. But I don't think this is to the point that we were a couple of times last season.
    I don't think it is a threat on us, I think he's simply saying that it is a growing issue again. I think he's trying to head off any trouble. Maybe I'm wrong, but since it was in the context of a simple email I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt here.

Roush: Love that cheer. I think a couple of words need to be changed (see below post) to fit the beat better, but it's awesome. We are doing that next Saturday.

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Ok, so my only changes were to take out the "on" from the last verse. It helps it match the other verses and took about "they" in the fourth line of the middle verse.

7. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the second stanza it makes fun of the people who complain about the language although i understand cutting it out for brevity.

I got you coevered on the rep as well.

8. Lendog

Lendog Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Mt. Hood
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see the problem with letters to any organization is that 99.9% of them are complaints. Too few people call or write and organization telling them how happy they were with what they got. When was the last time you called your credit card company telling them how great they are?
    You need to get some welll written letters from new fans and families that are around your group praising what you guys' are doing for the team and the stadium environment.
    You see the problem with soccer in America, as the Sounders fans have pointed out on their site, is that people treat it as a kids sport, and think the fans should act the same at the pro matches and the U-12 matches.
    Go to a pee-wee hockey game or pointy ball game and then to a pro one, and there is a huge difference, and no one cares. But treat soccer like this and it's a huge affair.......How do we change Americans' views on this???? My only guess, is make it a grassroots effort to squeez the nay-sayers out and make the enjoyment, coming to the supporters section and acting a fool up in here. In Portland the TA are mostly 18-35 year old professionals that want to cut loose, we also have the older crowd that know what a sports match is supposed to be like.
    I just thought I'd throw these ideas out there, and spread the good word of being a fellow supporter. I lived in Italy for 4 years and can tell you lots of stories about how to go to the extreme, we are small and weak compared to over there, but I'm just as happy!!!!
    --CHEERS

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Great point! You're absolutely right.

Rep given.

10. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, lets just do this to make a point.

rep to you sir

11. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After toying with the cadences in my head a little bit....

To make the line fit, we should take a half-beat pause at the beginning of that line and make the changes as shown. Lyric sheets will be prepared and distributed within the stadium. :) The only question now is when to sing it.

12. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Launguage isn't a problem. If the org is taking letters then what we know to be true is that the games are now more of an adult theme as an event. This is a very good thing and must continue. Also, nuts to the org, they're gone shortly anyway, right?!?

I didn't read the whole thread but I'm fairly certain this letter came from some JoCo mom out on the field with junior for the "tunnel". She probably doesn't get out much beyond 151st and Metcalf, doesn't approve of FX shows or HBO, and come more than once - so good riddance to bad rubbish.

There is no way this thread shoud be multiple pages. Let it go and keep doing what we're doing.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Isn't that kinda narrow minded?

This is an issue, and will remain one as long as we make it one. Do I like it? No way. But if the GM is taking the time to mention it to us, then obviously there are more than a few complaining.

14. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    I agree with Wizardscharter...

Really should we give a damn? I mean, asside from a little lip service here and there, what has the FO really done for us? They don't send the beer guy down as often as in other sections, we never get balls kicked to us before game time, you never see a "Got milk fan of the game" from our section, and we are constantly hassled by one "fan assistant" after another and they constantly play crappy music over the top of our chants.

15. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if you compare to other sections in the stadium, the cauldron gets more "things" thrown into it by the players than any other section. Klein often times brings balls over at the start of the game, players throw jerseys in, Bo throws jerseys and gloves, autographed cleats have been handed into the cauldron. I seriously doubt any of this is at the direction of the FO, simply the players showing apprectiation for the "die-hard" supporters.

While I can't comment on the frequency of the beer vendors, you are dead-wrong about balls (and other items) being sent into the caulrdon.

As to "Really should we give a damn?", I would say yes. While the FO may not be catering to us, the could sure as hell make it a lot worse for us.

16. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding of the beer vendors (Spoon told me this I think) is that you guys ran them off a few seasons back because the beer was too damn expensive and he wouldn't make any sales there so he needed to try his luck elsewhere. I also don't see the vendors as prominent anywhere in GA as I do the sidelines with the exception of the Lemonade and Cotton Candy guys. It's just too spread out to lug their busbins about.

17. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tell ya' what. Since I'll be coming home later this Summer, and I'm definitely going to a home game...I'll be an Oswald. Since I obviously don't care if they "ban" me for a certain length of time, I'll do what it takes to bring this issue to a head. I just hope that shavey-headed Marine reject is there! >: )

18. ockk

ockk Member

Jun 1, 2003
    raymore

sorry the green marine is gone..............we have some real undrestanding people working the cauldron now

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean the "Queen" Marine? :p

20. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    This is my opinion, and how I feel about the situation, so you can take it for what it's worth ... along with the large "IF"s that accompany it.

IF HASF/Cauldron wants to start putting the building blocks for a truly energized fan experience in place;
    IF the HASF/Cauldron wants to recognized as the leaders of that effort;
    IF the HASF/Cauldron wants to make this happen, and lead a 22,000 voice chorus in KC's SSS;
    THEN everyone should give a damn.

Because the first consideration should be leadership, and leading 22K people in KC means that you have to have a number of soccer moms on your side.

The front office (FO) are pretty much lame ducks right now. There hasn't been any concerted effort to define and build what it means to be a Wizards fan in a very long time. Those employees in the FO that are charged with PR, Customer Service, Customer Relations are stretched thin or probably more distracted than the rest of us with the sale.

That means that if I really give a rodent's behind about the experience others are having at the game, I should start acting like I'm an employee. I feel that if I'm wearing our blue, then I need to lead and make sure that others are having a positive experience.

The other way to look at it is - how many businesses would you continue to frequent on a regular basis if the employees that personified that business cursed for what to you appears to be no apparent reason?

Two distinctions here: first, I'm not saying that individuals anywhere in the stadium should refrain from expressing themselves with the obligatory "F--- you, Little Fish" when Carlos take a dive or sucker punches Nick. Second, this is not a "forever" thing because once there are 22K people cheering, singing, and shouting no one will be able to distinguish what the ^$*@#)$%& of us are saying.

Most of us on this board are unique in that we'll go to any game to watch the Wizards play. We know the game well enough to make appropriate comments at the right time - profane or not. The Cauldron and HASF can set the example of what it means to be a fan ... singing, cheering, standing.

I feel no one should complain about the "soccer moms" not cheering if the cheers they are being expected to do, or the actions of the groups that are supposed to be leading them, may make them uncomfortable.

Personally, I think everyone cheering is more important than getting to giggle over a few curse words.

Now, one of the things that needs to be discussed is how the chants and cheers can be more effectively distributed to the soccer moms, young adults, singles, married couples, small children, adolescents, and chapucin monkeys so everyone knows what to cheer. But that's a topic for another thread.

21. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Please don't. All the reasons have been hashed out on here, and it wouldn't be in our best interest. Not to mention you'd be here for one game, then those of us that go to every game would have to deal with any consequences that come from it.

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Good post. I agree with a lot of what you said.
    Let's make one thing clear. While a lot of people that stand in the Cauldron are active in HASF, the two are not the interchangable(at least in my opinion). HASF serves one purpose. The Cauldron/Mystics serve a comletely different purpose. Some of the people in the Cauldron choose to not be involved in HASF for various reasons. Others, Greg for example, chooses not to stand in the Cauldron but is involved in HASF. I'm one of the long time members of the Cauldron that have chosen not to be part of HASF, although I support their cause. So to typing it as "HASF/Cauldron" rubs me the wrong way.
    HASF is designed to spread soccer throughout the community with the end goal to keep the Wizards in town. Their president is Sam.
    The Cauldron/Mystics exist soley to support the Wizards. Obviously their existance is linked to the success of HASF (hence why many people are members of both). Their president, until someone tells me otherwise, remains Kevin (KCSalty).
    Maybe it doesn't bug anyone else, but I wanted to point that out. Sorry to get so technical. ;)

You're correct. We need to be leaders of the fans. And proper leadership is key.

Don't say that too loud or Jeff will jump you. (J/K Jeff)
    I agree with you though. As I stated, I know many or all of the current FO will not be around next year no matter what happens. But many of them could, and probably will, get involved with the new team should they stay in KC. And I for one want to have a good standing with those folks.

That is what the Cauldron is designed for. To support the team, and show other fans how to support a team.

In actuality you are correct. We should not complain about what other fans do. They paid to go to the game, they can enjoy it how ever they want.
    The frustration comes from some of us when we cheer our asses off and sing until our voices are gone. All the while the rest of the crowd is silent until the Magic Minute(s) (plus Magic Minutes stopage time ;) ) We'd appreciate a little help from the rest of the crowd once in a while. But if they choose not to, more power to them I guess.

We've tried. Last season we handed out fliers with chants on them. We've got the mike, so people can hear our chants.

Again, good post.

23. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben, Great post in repy to Brad.

I know the Mystics tried to get others involved last year. Others in the stadium. Might be a good time to try that again. It can't hurt anyway.

24. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well it's quickly becoming obvious why places like Colorado and DC have separate supporters' sections.

Ding me if you want, but when I go to a Wizards game, I go for the WIZARDS. Not for the soccer moms, not for their little kiddies that aren't even watching the game, and I sure as hell am not there for the uncaring front office. If the Cauldron 'leaders' want to even THINK about becoming p.c. all of a sudden, count me out. My passion for soccer and the Wizards dictates that I don't alter it for anyone.

You guys sound like a bunch of rejected ex-girlfriends. "Oh, he likes blondes better? I guess I'll bleach my hair and THEN he'll like me more."

25. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Yes, this is true at least in KC anyway. I'm sorry guys. I let the side down. I admit it was me that told Suarez he was a pvssy at the top of my voice as he entered the field for the intro. Who knew I was right?!?

My fault.

:)

The sooner the KC FO realizes this is supposed to be an adult event and forgets about the pubescent marketing plan, the sooner KCW games can resemble Fire games and the like. As always, some brazilian influence, circa 1997, would help exponentially.

The reason CJ doesn't e-mail me is this: My response to any comment on launguage would have been terse at best. Something along the lines of - "Do your job. Get more people in the stands and quit worrying about things beyond your control."

The people complaining apparently just don't know how to explain things to their children. Yep, Mom, your little angels haven't heard launguage anywhere before - especially not from you or your TV... Ridiculous.

You never know, maybe comments form the stands is why Suarez was set off and subsequently subbed in the 20th minute and cut later. KC went on to score 3 post-sub to win 3-0. Launguage may have been a catalyst for 3 points. Home field advantage.