The Catch All CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by MLSFan123, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do not toy with my emotions, Sir!

2. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No of course not. But any rule needs to also not penalize young talent or deter them from joining MLS. A 16 year old prodigy would be entitled to free agency after 5 or 6 years just s much, perhaps even more than anyone else.

Sounder repped this.
  3. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Call a priest!

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    seriously. I know some crazy people (I know some women....amirite!) But the fact that she keeps getting reupped does not show well for you California.

Eric B repped this.
  5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    [​IMG]

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't think that's news in the slightest.

Key phrase is "as of now" and the rest is just a statement of what we've known all along: MLS was planning to have opening weekend this weekend, and the teams haven't yet deviated from that assumption. Yet.

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of left, right and switch hitting...

Saw a headline on Fox Business about the salary gap between starts and scrubs in MLS. I was all, "What!?!? Fox? NOW you have headlines about income inequity? Bill O'Rielly's gonna get pissed." (and then lie about it later.)

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll ever be top 5. No UCL is too big a hurdle. We could and should keep aiming to be one of the best outside the top 5, one of if not the best in the Americas. Extremely lofty goal but Americans root and follow the best, it's in our DNA.

But looking within, getting regular air time on Sports Center and mainstream coverage as our top 3-4 sports would and should also be a major goal. Our own mainstream media treating or not treating MLS as big time is going to be a big part of the equation. Break into the mainstream and high tv revenue follows and even reaching the NHL level at some point gives us the revenue to be a top 7-10 league. I still think getting the top players in their primes here is too big a hurdle without UCL, but we could at some point become a viable alternative to mid-table top 4 league starters who won't play UCL and getting top prospects who now go to mid-table clubs in Spain/Italy/Holland/etc.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, our current structure doesn't allow for anything of the like and I'm referring more to our market's potential, not MLS and its structure's potential, two different things.

9. the5timechamp

the5timechamp Member+

Nov 3, 2012
    While we are all in such a negotiating mood, can we add an amendment that limits the amount of white jerseys throughout the league?

WarrenWallace, 15 to 32, Eric B and 3 others repped this.
  10. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Revs got your back

SJB and the5timechamp repped this.
  11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edwardgr repped this.
  12. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if its a kid who can actually command attention on the world market this is exactly the kind of player MLS needs to structure around keeping. At least until selling on to a top 5 league.

13. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mucky, jayd8888, Jimmydinho and 4 others repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either it means it's good enough, or they want membership on the record as rejecting it.

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Guess its my turn to copy paste

16. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    How does MLS's current structure prevent the bolded above?

17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Players who command attention on the world market are already de-facto free agents in MLS. This CBA discussion is about the rank-and-file players whose wages are depressed so that MLS can pay the world attention-getters a market price.

18. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's what all the big 4 do, in essence. But they're mature leagues and MLS isn't. Frankly, I'm surprised the negotiations got far enough along that the topic even came up this time around.

I had said early on that counter-intuitively, it actually makes sense for the smaller owners to want the cap up another $500k (since it's mainly not their money covering it) while the larger owners may want a small cap with big-money exceptions (since the small market teams can't really take advantage).

In the category of cumulative franchise value (understanding that there are likely to be around 30 teams by that time), I actually think we'll do better than fifth. One other one is attendance. We're like 3-5k out of fifth place, IIRC. Heck, even on level of play, the talent is now so concentrated in 4 leagues that 5th doesn't sound out of the question, much as the timescale may be too ambitious. Bottom line, though, is people will judge it at the end by the amount of progress they think was made, and it's not impossible that MLS will do okay on that measure.

I think you're thinking about the phenom--who we don't have to worry about, because interest from Europe will make him the equivalent of a free agent anyway. For the non-phenom, the way the owners will look at that is that the first couple years will see him get paid for negligible production, so they're not going to want him to be just a couple years away by the time he's even a competent MLS player. The silver lining for FA for the owners at this point is precisely that FA is held out as a reward for producing and sticking around a while.

Mucky repped this.
  19. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you need to pay mid-high 6 figures and pay a transfer fee. Not many teams doing that, and one player per team isn't gonna make a difference, need 5-6 before you see real quality of play improvement.

Nothing preventing it, league just isn't structured in a way to encourage that. Raise the young DP age and allow up to 2 young DPs in addition to regular DPs and you're talking.

20. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If he can block gay marriage, he can block a couple shots.

Sounder repped this.
  21. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they aren't they can't move within the league and they can't negotiate their salary with other teams. Its also about making it more attractive to them and encouraging them to stay.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've got Duane Rollins's Two Solitudes podcast on in the background here. Not really listening. Just a little noise. Anyway, I was just jolted into awareness and had to rewind this bit:
    It's not just here! Dan Gargan truly has become the face of mediocre MLS players!

I don't know why I find this so amusing, but boy do I!

superdave, cthomer5000, DC06 and 5 others repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's the ballgame for the players then. They must be fairly close to something they deem acceptable. They'll never have more leverage than they do with this weekend's games and if they're willing to give that up they must be ready to agree.

(Though as a Rapids fan losing the 2nd week of games would be the better choice. 16 of the 19 other teams would have to fit a makeup game into their schedule somewhere while we're on bye ;))

24. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough money to pay the transfer fees involved and not enough balance around three DP's to attract more talent like a Giovinco in his prime, which to be a top league we'd need a number of guys like that on most rosters. We'd need far more balance and willingness to compete in the global market.

And as far as top prospects, that's again reliant on transfer fees. I'm not referring to a Fabian Castillo but rather an Eric Lamela who was sold to Roma for around 12M Euros I believe going off memory.

Sounder repped this.