The Case of Eric Frimpong

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matrim55, Jan 24, 2008.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed for the most part. Often times where one sees poorer representation (notice I didn't say ineffective assistance of counsel.....:p) of criminal defendants it's not a PD handling the case but a court-appointed private practitioner. The majority (certainly not all mind you) of PDs are hard-working and good attorneys.

I agree with this as well but would add that there is also a shortage of funds for PDs, which produces the same plea bargain effect. I know here in Georgia we're having awfully difficult time funding PDs offices.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My statement was not intended to impugn the many good, dedicated public defenders. It was meant more to point at this:

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Courts need to track "pooled", or court-appointed cases, more carefully. In some jurisdictions where pay rates are low, attorneys will accept far too many files, in ana effort to make a decent living. In NJ, both public defenders and pool attorneys are paid reasonably well.
    I've always been upset at PD funding, but more for the way the system is abused than for lack of public funding. In NJ, the PDs refused to collect fees & payments personally, & generally are unhelpful in funding their own office, perhaps out of some sense of misguided loyalty to their clients, who often view them as agents of the state, while showing up for court in flash cars & clothing, claiming to be indigent.

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait, wait........

nope, still dead.

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As the saying went over here "the law courts are open to the public, just like The Ritz Hotel"

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Well, not everyone can afford the Ritz, either.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True. But nobody is going to put your ass in jail unless you spend a month or longer eating and sleeping at the Ritz.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...when curiously the punishment for stealing yourself some free food and accommodation would be to be given some free food and accommodation.