The California Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm thinking about 80 too, especially with 50 still closed.

Yeah, apparently granite can't be counted on to slow these fires down any longer. Just depends on the winds.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #202 Smurfquake, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    So the Foresthill Bridge is where an early scene of the Vin Diesel movie xXx was filmed, where he drove a politician's car off the bridge and jumped out with a parachute. You can get some idea of what the canyon and vegetation are like from this scene in the movie.

spejic and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like they got a handle on the fire near Auburn. Placer County has lifted the evacuation orders and warnings, reopened the bridge and the fire hasn't progressed beyond about 400 acres today.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yup. Things are looking good. Survived another day ... :unsure:

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The election that hasn’t happened yet was stolen ??? Get used to it I think we’ll see a lot of this crap next year. A lot of lawyers will make money on it at tax payers expense.

Polling of the California recall electionindicates that Gov. Gavin Newsom is likely going to survive -- but that isn't stopping rival Larry Elder's campaign from preemptively claiming that the election was stolen from him.

NBC News reports that Elder on Monday promoted an "online form to report fraud, which claimed it had 'detected fraud' in the 'results' of the California recall election 'resulting in Governor Gavin Newsom being reinstated as governor.'"

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The GOP has migrated from being the party of the business elite to being the party of The National Enquirer, because the latter has more votes. So yeah, there will be nonstop conspiracy theories. That is who these people are; that is what they do.

luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    On an unrelated but related side story, Rose McGowan claims that Newsom's wife tried to bribe her to not go public with the Weinstein story. No MSM seems to have picked up on this story. I am imagining how this would be covered if the shoe was on the other foot.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Shoe on the other foot?

If Harvey Weinstein had a story about Rose McGowan?

Sure, Ms. McGowan had some wild times when she was younger, but I doubt that would be of much interest.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I knew that expression wasn't the right one to use ... but what I meant was if Newsom was GOP.

xtomx repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know and you are correct.

If the story is true, it is bad and likely worse, since Newsom (although not his wife) is a Democrat.

soccernutter repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pretty sad. Falls perfectly into the narrative that Demcrats/Liberals are fake and really don't give a shit about what they say they represent. This also comes right on the tail end of the Times Up CEO resigning after some messages revealed her trying to spare Cuomo amid his sexual harassment scandal. Problem being she is connected to the Democratic party having fundraised for Obama and working at the WH under his admin.

xtomx repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that if Jennifer Newsom did something to Rose McGowan, it should be investigated. Democrats have standards and are less likely to put up with bad behavior from their people than Republicans are. (But what about this bad behavior or that bad behavior, I can hear all the bothsiders asking - the response is simply "Trump".)

However, when the story comes out at the tail end of a contentious recall election when there's not enough time to investigate thoroughly, it sounds like a hit piece. This allegedly happened in 2017. Newsom ran for Governor in 2018. Why didn't it come out then?

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, McGowan has credibility because of the Weinstein case. For her to be making this up would mean she completely sold herself. Would seem a bit bizarre.

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well......Not going as well as planned I guess.....

Republicans Headed for Embarrassing Loss
    Aaron Blake: “It’s recall day in California, and by just about all accounts — including their own — Republicans are headed for defeat.”

“Top GOP contender Larry Elder’s campaign is already bogusly blaming his loss (which hasn’t actually happened yet) on voter fraud. Former president Donald Trump has also preemptively and wrongly blamed the loss on fraud, apparently having learned no lessons from the Georgia Senate runoffs about what message that might send to would-be GOP voters.”

“The idea that Republicans would fall short in California, of course, isn’t terribly surprising. It’s a blue state. But it’s also a blue state in which they proactively picked this fight. And the margin by which they lose could wind up being historically significant (with the caveat that polls can be unreliable, especially in unusual races like this.)”

xtomx repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    My thinking exactly.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Anthony Weiner, Al Franken, and Andrew Cuomo are wondering just what narrative that would be. And somewhere in Florida, Matt Gaetz is smirking.

As for Newsome, he's been a smug douchebag his entire career. I mean hell, he was married to Kimberly Guilfoyle, say no more. I have no idea what California Democrats were thinking when they nominated him and I would vote so hard against him in the next Dem primary that my ears would ring. But no, I would not vote to recall, given who is beyond the recall effort and who would take Newsome's place.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recall Newsome

Opinion polls
    No 57.3%
    Yes 41.5%

Post ballot forecast
    No 66.7%
    Yes 33.3%

Given Newsome has a 55% approval rating it looks like Republicans didn't turn out.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Maybe not.

It could be generally inaccurate polling, both for the recall vote and for the approval rating.

Could also be that decline-to-state voters are voting even more like Democrats than they usually do.

And it could be both of these.

19. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    538 predicted the margin will narrow as election day ballots are counted.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold.

rslfanboy, onefineesq and charlie15 repped this.
  21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Newsom, folks, Newsom.

I met him in a Walgreens in SF when he was mayor so I really like him. Actually, that’s not the reason I do. But the Guilfoyle thing is indeed baffling.

charlie15 repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ca recall seems to be a blow out for Newsome. Lots of pundits got it totally wrong there. Ca is truly a blue state and the idea that a clown like Larry Elder could become Governor really motivated Democrats to get out and vote.
    Actually, the numbers from this recall should worry some R's in California, particularly in Orange County where the No won easily.

1437980527881981959 is not a valid tweet id

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is glorious in its pettiness.....lol

1437983412380332032 is not a valid tweet id

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Did I hear that this Republican stunt cost $200M?

charlie15 repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Here's what happened with the polls.

1) Two months ago, when the question was asked, a lot of cranky Democrats answered "Yes I would recall" him, without thinking further about the matter. They weren't taking the question seriously,

2) Then the election came and they took the question seriously.

This isn't just hindsight talking, I wrote something to that effect last week. Political pundits and pollsters who didn't understand how this process works really, truly should be in a different line of business.