The Bulgarian Riviera should suffice: Vilian Bijev at Cherno More Varna

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Who is this guy?, Jul 16, 2011.

1. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Does this tie him to Bosnia now?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's just repaying some good will for them helping speed his (Bulgarian) citizenship process up

3. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Bulgaria and Bosnia are different so no. ;)

Also I can't blame Ramos for not calling him in, he hasn't been getting games. Getting one game for a whole season in the 2nd division of Norway is hardly impressive.

Hopefully he doesn't end up becoming the next Dimitar Berbatov.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Whoops.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, he has never played in an official competition for the US so he would only be preliminarily cap tied.

6. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    yeah, what competition are the Bulgaria U21s playing in?

edit: looks like 2015 U21 Euro qualifiers

7. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Qualifying for 2015. They have a home game with Andorra on 6/1 and a road game against them on 6/5.

8. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's the latter. Specifically, Bulgaria U21, which includes Villyan Bijev, competes for the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship. It began on March 2013 and finishes in September 2014. The final tournament in 2015 is hosted by the Czech Republic.

Right now, Bulgaria U21 is in Group 2 for the 2015 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship qualification through "Qualifying Group Stage". The competitors within this group are Russia U21, Denmark U21, Slovenia U21, Estonia U21, and Andorra U21.

2015 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship

2015 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship qualification
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship_qualification

2015 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship qualification Group 2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_...1_Football_Championship_qualification_Group_2

9. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
  10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this would be a provisional cap-tie situation, correct?

11. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the news story is five days old, Nov Sport profiled Villyan Bijev, where he's playing for Bulgaria U21. I found the news article from Wikipedia through his biography under his name.

Talent from Liverpool and Hansa will play Bulgaria [May 16, 2013] (Use Google Translate in translating from Bulgarian to English for reading)
    http://www.novsport.com/news595381_1003.html

Interestingly, the news article called him "Villa Bizhev", not "Villyan Bijev".

Anyway, there's an interesting excerpt in pertaining on choosing the country for representation, for which the young footballer selects:

According to the rules of FIFA player can play more than one country in the teenage and youth formations, but if 21 years or older must choose which country to represent. For this reason and Bizhev and Yordanov no obstacles in front of him to carry the team of Bulgaria.

12. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bulgaria's NT isn't very good. They missed the last 2 Euros and haven't made a World Cup since '98. Chances are if Bijev ends up being any good, he'll play for us; especially since he's born and raised in the US.

sacpasse87 repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's somewhat correct, but it leaves out that a youth "competition" (like this Euro U21 qualifying) ties you to a country until you file a one time switch, even to play in another youth competition or friendly. Yes, he could bounce back and forth playing friendlies for either, but once he takes the field for a competition, he is provisionally cap-tied to that country.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good for him. This might help his pro prospects if he cant break through at Liverpool. A little more exposure can't hurt.

Plus, there is no point being left in limbo if you are not picked for a youth team. If someone else offers you a non-binding spot, take it. It can't hurt

15. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay. I take that he'll get more playing time with Bulgaria U21, raising his profile, developing more football skills, and getting more in "fitness" form.

16. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would generally agree.

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    This is correct. He would need to make a one-time switch now to the U.S. I believe.

I think he'll end up doing so if he turns out to be a very good player. I'm not too worried about this even if it isn't a GOOD thing.

Tom Collingsworth and Germerica repped this.
  18. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see where they call him Villa. Вилян = Vilyan

Бижев is indeed how the name is pronounced, but the English alphabet is, frankly, terrible and there's no one way to represent the ж sound. Vision and beige, for example...

Bulgaria is currently 2nd place in their WC qualifying group, so they're making a run for it. The EURO will also be 24 teams starting in 2016, so Bulgaria has a veritable chance to make those tournaments now.

soccersubjectively and Gorky repped this.
  19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for saying what we're all thinking.

soccersubjectively and beamish repped this.
  20. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my cousin's last name has that ж "zhe" character, and the latin alphabet uses the Ž to spell that sound (so when spelled in English alphabet, it's just the regular "z").

Since everything is spelled phonetically in Cyrillic languages, the family must have changed the spelling of their last name when they immigrated knowing that Americans typically phonetically pronounce the letter J in a way that sounds like the "zhe" character. Because J is slavic languages is a "y" sound, another sound altogether.

They probably didn't want a bunch of Americans saying Bee-Zev ! :laugh:

Frankball repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The я is pronounced as "iya" and the H is pronounced as "n" so I don't see where the Villa comes into play.

My name in Bulgarian, Jon, actually has the ж character and it's pronounced more as a very soft D, then sion, so d-sion, a bit similar to the mustard actually. I've been studying Bulgarian for a couple years now and recently spent a month there and find the language fascinating. Not too tough actually once you learn the freakin alphabet, which of course you need to learn multiple versions of given the written and print versions are different, written being tougher to read for me.

As for Bijev, he won't play for BG's senior team if he ends up as good as I think he will. Their program is in shambles despite the somewhat recent success, which we actually have to see how WCQ working out for them. There's a reason Berbatov stopped playing and it wasn't just media attention. The program is a mess. Bijev will have a much, much greater chance to get to the WC with us down the road. But given we're ignoring him recently, the Euro's will actually be a great experience for him.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait so how do we say his name?

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vilyan Bizhev

Futbol_Head, ImaPuppy, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing I expected from this thread was a lesson on the Bosnian language!