The Bruins, UCLA 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes it is. But let me state from experience. Seeding is everything. My kids team had 2 ot loses and a draw and ended up as a 3 seed ( the losses came from Stanford and UCLA And the draw to FSU). That made the road to the college cup exponentially more difficult. UCLA has all but guaranteed themselves not to get a seed with another loss and they still have Stanford and USC on the schedule

cpthomas repped this.
  2. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Did HBO use whatever industrial mess is behind Arizona State’s soccer field to film “Chernobyl?”

McSkillz repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 UCLA-ASU 0

Hey, it's Arizona State so should I be jumping up and down and happy? AT this point, a defeat against Cerritos College would make me happy.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone looking at the background of the stadium and thinking it looks like something from a nuclear test site?

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Teagan is a much better goalkeeper than the back up. Not even close. So she was a big loss, too.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I'm not sure I believe that.

I will readily admit that I've never paid a second's attention to seeding at the women's tourney. I've spent a lot of time, a lot, a lot, with men's hoops for March Madness. I now think it's mostly the entertainment industrial complex that cares about seeding. For every example you can provide of how seeding may have affected one team or another, I can show one where seeding was immaterial.

Poor seedings are the province of teams that lost and seek some answers/reasons/excuses for their losses.

If UCLA splits the games with USC and Stanford, but rights their ship and win the PAC 12 tourney, how low do you think they'll be?

7. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    There’s no “Pac-12 Tourney”. Only way for them to win the league is for Stanford to lose 3 games and for them to win all remaining games. I’m not sure how likely that is

8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sayingtheresachance.jpg

SpeedK1llz repped this.
  9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    FWIW, my opinion it is the first 8 seeds that count. So long the very top teams do not have to face each other until the round of 8 then the seeding of a 64-team bracket is fair. Or to put it differently, if you're seeded such that you are very likely to be in the round of 8 vying for a spot in the final four, what more could you ask? Consequently, if the seeding does a reasonable job of putting the top 8 teams in the corners of the brackets that's most of the job. With increasing parity, to ask for more than that is inserting an unreasonable demand for a smooth highway to the Natty. If you're not clearly in the top 8, then take your lumps and prove your mettle on the field.

10. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ok. Let’s see. You get a 3 seed and get one home game then have to travel to the other side of the country for the rest of the tournament leading up to the final four or you get to travel a total of 1/4 mile to play all games on your home field while sleeping in your own bed. Ask the 4 teams that made the college cup last year. Rediculous comment

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The importance of getting a #1 seed is that you get to host the quarter-finals. That does matter. If you have two equally rated teams, the home team has a higher likelihood of winning.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    USC absolutely got screwed last year in the seeding process.
    2 OT losses to Stanford and UCLA and a regular season draw on the
    road at FSU lands them a #3 seed.
    That was unconscionably bad!
    It was also bad for FSU having to face two erstwhile #2 seeds in a row (albeit at home), just to get to the College Cup!
    We had an up and down regular season, but no one had a tougher post season schedule.

Seeding matters!

13. Jamaicanadian

Jamaicanadian New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    You're entitled to your opinion. I feel, unlike other areas on the pitch, goalkeeping has not been an issue at all in absence of the current 1st choice.

FreshPow repped this.
  14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    LB cannot play with her feet at all. She also played that third goal terribly against Arizona. She damn near cost them the exhibition game against UCI but her team came through after her mistake. I know that exhibition games do not count for anything, but she is a liability. Teams play differently when they are secure in their GK. Teagan is great with her feet. Just my opinions as you said.

15. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    Sorry, but I refuse to believe that UCLA's backup GK cannot play with her feet. UCLA have their pick of the best GK's. If the team wasn't confident in their GK as suggested they should have played more defensively and marked the scorers more closely. I didn't watch the game. I wonder if its just what the coach said - the other teams wanted it more. This can happen when you have a bunch of stars. The other teams will get fired up (wanting to prove they are just as good) and do what it takes for the W.

FreshPow repped this.
  16. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Goal keeping isn't the problem. Defense has given up goals and offense not scoring the problem.

17. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    I'm shocked watching a few games this year that UCLA cannot get the ball to there playmakers this year. In my opinion Jesse, Ashley, viviana should be the ones with the ball at there feet in the attacking area. Not the other players that seem to dominating the ball.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your Thursday opponent just ran into that problem. At home, outshot the Oregons 48-20, Tied Oregon and lost to Oregon State, The 48 shots produced three goals, 20 shots led to four. Colorado hasn't been scoring all that much this season, the defense has kinda carried them until last weekend.

UCLA lost to Arizona with three star players (I think) not available. Colorado lost to Oregon State with three forwards not available, a substitute defender played 70something minutes at forward. Y'all have a couple of conference losses you didn't expect, CU has a tie and a loss not expected. Should be a pair of hungry teams tomorrow evening.

Speaking of which, I will be there. The old fat guy with the grey beard and faded black Colorado Soccer hoodie is me, stop by and say hi if you're there.

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Apparently you give no weight to goalkeepers communication with their backline, footwork, presence, and ability to save shots. Also, did you see the third goal against Arizona? A goalkeeper can have a tremendous influence on the game beyond the flashy saves.

20. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    I agree communication is big part. But LB seems to be with balls in the air. Micah seems better with balls at her feet. Jmho

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my girls! We need all the wins the rest of the conference. Onto UTAH where hopefully we get another win.

mpr2477 repped this.
  22. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    During the delayed telecast of the 2-0 win over Utah due to a volleyball match, Canales was taken out in the first 3 minutes and never returned. Anyone know what happened?

23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea... I didn't go to this home match :(

24. Skokian

Skokian Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Athens is on crutches.

McSkillz and kolabear repped this.
  25. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    Carnales possible torn ACL from what I hear. And Athens broken foot a couple weeks ago also. Feel terrible for Carnales.