The Brazilians at Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Dec 19, 2005.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "Brazilian trio Ronaldo, Julio Baptista and Roberto Carlos have blamed Real Madrid fans for creating a tense atmosphere that has made it difficult for the team to play well in home matches."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=352659&cc=5739

A few weeks ago, Roberto Carlos said he wanted to leave, in my opinion he showed no leadership. He has been there for 8 year now ? He is one of the most experienced players in the squad and needs to be an example for the other players. It really ticked me off at that time and this news just adds to my displearsure.

I have to say, this shows no leadership from our players. They play in a big team that is accostumed to win and have to deal with it. Real Madrid has showed an unconvincing game for 2 years now eventhough they have finished in respectable positions in La Liga. But things are not improving. Throughout this whole time, I haven't seen any player in the squad admitting they need to improve. I admire when players like Roy Keane have the balls to criticize the play of his own team.

What do you guys think ?

2. Demon Dog

Demon Dog New Member

Dec 18, 2005
    There are too many stars in the same team, and it tends to brake the group into smaller ones. There is the European and the brazillian groups inside that team, and it really shows in the field. I didn´t like when Robinho went to Real, because there were already too many "stars", and when he came, the team became a total mess. There is no group play anymore, they are angry with each other (yesterday´s match against Ossassuna was an example) and I think they should start a reformulation in the entire team. I don´t see how Robinho would fit there anymore, he might go to another club. Roberto Carlos already said that he wants to get out even before all this started; he might come back to a brazilian team.

But I have to say that all this started with the "cockroach" joke...

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Yeah. I think Ronaldo will likely leave at the end of the season. I'm not sure if Inter is the best place for him though. Their team already has Obafemi and Adriano. I think a move like this could prove to be a Rivaldo-like disaster. Who knows. That's the worst case scenario. I'd probably look to another team in Spain. I'm not sure if Ronaldo has his Spanish citizenship yet...he should probably wait for that at least. I think a move to Germany wouldnt be a bad idea either...although I guess moving to a totally different league at his age might be a bit weird. we'll see...

5. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    its a bit different sense Ronaldo already played in Italy unlike Rivaldo who was 30 and decided to go there, to a team that he really didnt fit in

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The problem is that Ronaldo will only want to go to a handfull of teams. He will not want to go to an average club.

Personally I'd like to see him show some leadership and stick it out at Madrid. It didn't look good when he left Inter after the club stuck with him through the worst part of his career.

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    To be honest, and this won't be a popular opinion, but I think JB, Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos need to shut-up. I don't like the player's stance on this one, actually. Fans are fans. They can boo, they can cheer, and they can let you know that they think you're doing a bad job. They cheer when you score, they boo when you give a half-hearted effort or underachieve. They're playing in one of the biggest pressure-cookers in the game in Madrid and should have been very well aware of it when they signed to play for this team. The club demands results, as do the fans.

They're professionals. Outside of fans throwing things at them and interrupting the match by running onto the field, etc., they should be able to follow the game-plans that they have set and do what they wish on the field with their only hindrence being the opposing players. Saying "the players make us play too fast" is... I dunno... crybabyish and wimply to me. They're blaming people that aren't on the field kicking the ball for their lack of results and may be turning the fans against them even more so by labeling them the problem.

IMO the best way to handle it would have been to not blame the crowd, but to just say: "We haven't gotten the results and the fans at this club demand that we obtain results. If we play to the level we're capable of playing, the fans will cheer us and I'm sure that will happen soon."

8. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Which is precisely what Sergio Ramos said, and that's why he's becoming so loved by the fans at 19.

I don't have such a big problem with the new guys, specially Robinho, who I haven't heard complainig, but Roberto and Ronaldo are making many fans sick with their lack of professionalism. This two guys are veterans and earn a fortune, so they'd better show some commitment to something different that themselves.

RC has been the first brazilian to truly succeed here and one of our most influential foreign players, but since two years ago -I believe that's when he divorced, BTW- he's been playing like $hit and, worse, behaving like a total as$.

And Ronaldo can't be bothered to play for more than 5 lethal minutes. If those 5 minutes aren't lethal, or even aren't at all, it's like playing with 10, because Ronnie won't even press a defender who is two meters away. And, frankly, seeing him in training a whole lap behind the rest of the players when tehy're running isn't nothing the average fan particularly loves. If he wants to go to Italy to get hacked every game and have harder training sessions, I will personally help him pack his things.

9. Andre_Fla81

Andre_Fla81 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Brasil
    I completely agree. Ronaldo and RC are acting like spoiled kids.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Really ??? Have you seen him in training ? I guess that's why he struggles during the game. I am surprised because he obviously has the work ethic or else he wouldn't have been able to make his comeback from injury so successfully back in 2002. However, if he is scoring his goals, fans can't complain. They can complain about his comments. I am sure they were not said in a bitching and whining tone because I am used to hear our players making those comments. But he should know better at this point in his career.

It doesn't set a good example for new players (and young) on the team.

11. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is this true dmar???

That is very dissapointing! Was this during the time he was returning from injury?

I truley hope Ronaldo can step up and save this team. Unfortunitely the teams doesn't play his style of play.

12. Sid Wilson

Sid Wilson New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Roberto Carlos said he wants go to Brazil end of this season but now he says he wants to stay until Real win silverware.

13. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's been in the news, they show them training often. Although I was exaggerating in the "one whole lap" bit, but he's frequently seen the last by a margin. Resistance is not his strong suit, and he doesn't seem eager to improve.

He hasn't been scoring, he has 9 goals IIRC and Eto'o has scored 17 in 17 games. I know Ronnie has been injured, and this is part of the problem, too, because his return against Barcelona was too premature and he got injured again.

Neither does that certain players are never benched regardless of form, for example.

14. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think maybe it's personality, plus nationality. Do the Brasilian players speak Spanish? Did they bother to learn Spanish?
    Ronaldo and R. Carlos are not getting younger. I still think that Roberto Carlos is playing much better right now than Ronaldo.

15. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    Brazilians speak portugese, so the similarities between that and spanish isn't that great, so it wouldn't take them long to speak the language fluently.

And Catfish you speak english, it's spelt Brazil.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So you know Portuguese and Spanish? Brasil is the native way to spell it.

17. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    I don't personally but a few of my friends are Portugese and Spanish, and the similarities are there.

So you refer to all of the countries in their native tongue?

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now you are just being silly. I took 5 years of Spanish in school and actually have found that Italian is easier for me to pick up than Portuguese. I have seen only a handful of movies in Portuguese, but tons of football sites and movies in Italian.

19. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    lol? so you're now the resident spanish expert after what...5 years of spanish lessons in america?

muppet.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In Brasil it's spelled Brasil.

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Add another one, Cicinho signed with Real Madrid.