The Branislav Ivanovic Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    End Product

I've a nice little touch, I'm a fine header too
    And I'm good at protecting my line
    All those at Pool who think Bran's just a fool
    Are in for a bloody rough time

I came here to play, I'm determined to stay
    And spend every day with the view
    If I practice real hard I'll get my reward
    Forever to be a True Blue

Chorus

Are in for a bloody rough time, rough time
    All those at Pool who think Brad's just a fool

Check You Tube - Brendan Shine "Do you want your old lobby washed down" For the music.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Aside from the goals, the one thing I was most impressed with was the way he caught up with Riera and managed to shrug him off the ball. Even on the corners he was shoving aside two to three Liverpool players.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    huh? most if us always wanted to see him play.

4. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just ignore him. He came trolling back when he first got signed claiming he should instantly be starting over Terry and Carvs.

I've always wanted him to play ahead of Alex, but I'm still not convinced he should start ahead of a fit Terry, Carvs, or Bos. He needs more than a good game here or there to convince me of that.

But he has made the most of his chances and I hope he keeps it up.

5. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    needs to start a lot more

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I agree that in most games our first choice backline should include JT, Riccy, and Bosingwa, but Ivanovic should the first backup on the list for all of those spots. Before long he may usurp Bosingwa's position outright - that wouldn't surprise me at all.

7. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

True. He has definitely impressed so far and if his play continues as its going he should be fit in the starting line-up somewhere, but I think we all need to settle down a bit and realize that he still has a ways to go before being an undisputed starter.

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know.. if you guys don't wanna use him, you could always send him our way...;)

9. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana
    :D I am sorry but I just can not ignore your post, you can ignore me if you want, I am OK with that. Since when is expressing your opinion,which happens to be spot on, considered as trolling?Only couple of weeks ago he was " superfluous" , " waste of money" and mourned over in this forum, and now, all of a sudden he is a hero! Miraculous Guus with his tricks? No, every fool who watched him in our NT could see how good he was on set pieces( 3 goals our best scorer), and it took you 1 year and 3 managers to realize that?:rolleyes: He is the player who has not put a foot wrong ( except 2-3 times) in all the matches he has played for Chelsea.You have 10-6-1 with him on the pitch, and neither of the goals you conceded was his fault.
    If the player with his potential keeps warming the bench at Chelsea, he should leave, there are heaps of clubs out there who can not wait for that moment, they are swarming all over him(Inter, Fiorentina...) I have mixed feelings right now: I am happy because he scored 2 goals, and a bit unhappy because he scored 2 goals for Chelsea.
    And yes this can be considered as my Bane appreciation post, yours are just hypocrisies, little euphory which will be gone within few days( when the effect of your we-beat-liverpool drug subsides)

10. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    Can't remember anyone in here saying that Bane was a waste of money. Many people would rather have seen Ivanovic ahead of Alex.

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Correct. Numerous posts on this situation on how and where we rated Ivanovic and how we wanted to see him play.

Sebov, consider this your final warning when it comes to trolling. Either change your attitude or bugger off.

12. Qindarka

Qindarka Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Malaysia
    Your opinion is not spot on and you are making things up.

13. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Expressing your opinion, and bashing Chelsea for not immediately starting an unproven player over Terry and Carvalho last season when Ivanovic was coming off an injury and was not match fit as he was in the off season when he was transferred are two totally different things. You were doing way more than just expressing your opinion.

And many of us have been wanting him to start over Alex for quite some time now. The comments about waste of money had to do with the fact that we weren't playing him and that was a waste of money (which I'm sure you would agree with). Context my man, context.

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    While waiting for class to start, I watched that part where he outran and outmuscled Riera. Love it.

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    lets keep the focus on Ivanovic and away from sebov okay.

Thanks.

16. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    I would start him at right back. Then again that is just my opinion.

I feel like he is more effective there for Serbia, and besides the U21 euro in 2007 he has been most effective there whenever I have watched him.

His aerial prowess that Lampard describes would serve well for a central defender, but I'm not quite sure if he could start as a center back. I mean I have seen it.. but consistently that's another matter.

I feel like Hiddink should give Bane his chance. He desrves to be ahead of Bosingwa after a game like that.

Then again you follow Chelsea every week and you keep saying you rate Ivanovic ahead of Alex. Why?

Alex has been pretty solid in the back, and under Hiddink he can come back to his 2007 best when he shut down Henry at Ashburton grove, and then proceeded to net the winning header.

I love Ivanovic, but I just want to see the reasoning.

17. Ben7021

Ben7021 Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Orlando
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The main problem with Alex is he is not so fast. And he is usually partnered with Terry, who also lacks speed. Those two together make a pretty slow partnership.

It's not so much a knock on Alex who has been a great back up for us, as it is praise for Ivanovic who has done very well when called upon.

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    pretty much agreed with Ben here. That Alex seems more in the mold of JT while Ivanovic seems to be the heir to Carvahlo, which imo is quite high praise. Ivanovic seems to be more pacy, have better technical ability and more cerebal tyan Alex and as Ben said that is high praise considering that Alex was arguably our best central defender last season.

19. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Ivanovic is regarded in Serbia as a better centre back than Vidic and many see Vidic as the best centre back in the Premiership. I believe Ivanovic and Mancienne, are most likely, the future replacements for Terry and Carvalho. In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how and when Hiddink will use Ivanovic for the remainder of the season.

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good summary Fern.

In some systems Alex could be a better fit, but more so with Percy than with Terry for the reason Ben stated. I really like Ivanovic and have been disappointed not to have seen more of him, particularly as Alex for me has been more of an agricultural defender (good old term from back in the day for Fern/Andy/Clan) and has been caught out more often this year.

Very happy we've so far resisted the urge to flog him to Milan. When he's played this year he's been as good as can be expected from someone playing a bit part.

Shame it took 2 goals to get a bit more appreciation going, but hopefully he'll offer a lot more for us to comment in defence in the future.

21. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite ready to make that claim yet. I think both still have a lot to prove before we can.

22. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Reflecting on the game against Pool. The two headers by Ivanovic were unbelievable. The third goal...a fantastic pass by Ballack, a lovely pickup and delivery by Malouda ending with Drogba applying the finishing touch and scoring. Yet these four players are often on the top lists of some pointing them to the exit door. I've previously stated the ability of a manager to extract from his players the correct response which is so important and we are so fortunate to have Guus at the helm.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

In fairness I believe the Ivanovic "out the door" accusations have been well addressed.

As for Ballack- three goals against Championship teams and one good game in the CL hardly merit a free pass for arguably the most disapointing player this season.

Same rule can be applied to Malouda who has been above average at best for most of the season and has only shown anything close to his 13+ mil transfer fee in the last two games.

Drogba is another kettle of fish, but as this is the Ivanovic thread- I will once again reiterate that the majority of the posters on this board have been calling for his inclusion and did not want, and do not want, to see him sold.

24. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex is far too impulsive on the pitch IMO, runs too much on instinct while Ivanovic is far more intelligent in his play and simply doesn't charge in on balls he's better off leaving.

Ivanovic is hands down better for me, but Alex isn't a shabby backup to have.