The Bouna and Mehdi issue

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by degerron, Aug 31, 2007.

1. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    It won't be an issue. Muslims all over the world been fasting and playing top-level soccer for centuries without any problems. Of course they're going to get tired quicker than others (especially Mehdi because he's a mid fielder) but they'll be ok. In Egypt and Saudi Arabia where the level of soccer is very high, 97 percent of the players play and practice in the hot weather while fasting. It's tough but they'll be ok since they're use to it.

Now if you have a player like Landon Donovan playing while fasting I'm pretty sure you'll have 911 crews all over the stadium after the fifth minute :D

2. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm injecting precaution.
    I have several friends that are Muslim and for the most part they all agree that nothing should be consumed. No water - anything.
    I do not know how devout Mehdi or Bouna are, but I would assume that they would try to follow as closely as they could.

And i would rather caution on the side of respect then to infer that they are not ness. good, practicing Muslims, which I don't believe is your intention, but can be seen as your inference if they do drink/eat anything.

3. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    Let me make it clear for those who don't know the rule of the fasting:

No food, water, medications or anything is allowed to enter the stomach if the person is fasting. If the person has a serious medical condition and can't tolerate fasting because it will harm his body, then the person doesn't fast. Same thing with kids, they don't have to fast. But both conditions don't apply to Mehdi and Bouna. They even have to be careful when they're brushing their teeth to not to swallow any water or tooth paste.

So the bottom line: Mehdi and Bouna won't be eating or drinking ANYTHING until the sun sets every day during Ramadan but the Rapids will be ok and both players will be ok.

Much respect to both players!

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a report from earliuer in the week that said Bouna did not fast before the Chivas game. No idea if it was accurate or not but until we know for sure we should probably refrain from making defenitive statements about their religious choices.

5. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is true... he said it himself after the game on sunday.

there were about 7 people there that heard him

6. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Good for him ... if God didn't think soccer was important - he would have shaped the earth like a football! :D

7. degerron

degerron New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Queens
    Its likely Bouna has decided that it is too much to bare on that day. Usually a Muslim will discuss this with their imam, Bouna "may" have decided it was a bit harmful to him and decided to make up the days he missed at a later date. This is not really recommended but not completely unheard of. Also Muslims may makeup a missed day of fasting if one is traveling. Its actually worst to break the fast when one has declared to do it for the day, because if you break it you surpose to fast for 60 days or feed a certain number of poor people to redeem yourself. its his soul so I trust he knows what he is doing.