The Bottom Line on USOC Final Crowd

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Vistula, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about a flashdancers sized ad?

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't home game #1, it was #4 or #5. #1 was the Caricola own goal with less than ten seconds left against Lalas & the Revs. 45,000 in attendance, and I have often felt like one of only a couple hundred who ever returned.

Shue arrived in NJ on a beautiful June afternoon. 0-4 to LA; Hurtado in particular beat the living snot out of us. Over 50,000 in attendance, and maybe 50 of those people returned. Caricola got ejected protesting an obvious penalty kick call. Another very bad Metro memory.

3. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999

Everyone, not to jump the gun, but since it has already kinda slipped out there, we are looking at creating an away match atmosphere for the Open Cup Final. And since it is a USSF event, for the record anyway, it is a neutral site game.

The idea we are hatching as I speak, Is a 2pm party at Nathan Hale's with one or possibly two (or more) chartered buses leaving at 6pm to take us en masse to the stadium and a direct march in from the bus to Section 101 upon arrival.

As our volume and adrenaline always seem to be maxed out when we arrive together via bus, this seems like the ideal way to get together in celebration of our banner day in the sun. If we can march 100+ into the stadium and maybe even do a complete 360 around the concourse with drums and song, following several hours of toasting at the official pub of the ESC , I can't imagine a better way to pull out all the stops and bring our club together as one single voice for Metro.

And for those of u who haven't been to a full on Metro Bhoy bash at NH, get prepared for the most intense soccer night of your life. And don't worry, if u can't make it to NH, arrange to meet us as the buses arrive for the march in just like u would at Foxboro or RFK.

None of this is official, I just wanted to let u know what the thinking behind this is. STAY TUNED!

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Nothing is stoping anyone from starting a tailgate at the stadium. The whole thought behind NH is that since its a weekday match people can come down from work and get together drink up and go in en masse. I dont think anyone is expecting anyone to come in from NJ only to go back in.

You want a tailgate? Put one together why do you need the ESC's permission to do it? Theres also like 3 people running the ESC so you cant expect people to supervise and put together things in different places.

Bottom line:

DONT ASK! VOLUNTEER!

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and me and 48 others, obie.

6. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    If we get a crowd less than 15k for this match Nick should just be fired. There is no reason why a professional sports team in the US of A cant attract a nice crowd for a CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH!

This is the biggest oppurtunity the MFO has ever had to increase the fan base. If the MFO doesn't seize this oppurtunity and juice it for all its worth then who ever is in charge should be shown the door.

Yes Nick i'm talking to u...

The Metros shall rain on the fire 10/15

7. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Alright it's settled then, New Jersey Members of the ESC and anyone else, let's meet up in the parking lot for some tailgating action. The question is, what lot will the ESC be arriving in via bus? Or can you guys detour over to the normal ESC tailgate lot after you get off the bus?

8. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you guys, i want a big crowd, i will get as many people as i can to attend,just recruited 2 here at work and then i have big family and friends,..but we can only do so much, MFO really has to come thru and everyone associated with the Metrostars have to hammer at this over the next week and so.

I was there when LA kicked our behinds and we had 54 k, i have returned every game since, ..but if we get newbies i know they will laugh at those footbal lines, i just know it. Can we please have MFO promote this game and spend the cash to get rid of the football lines. I will be a metro for life, that is all i ask in return.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Hey, you only live once. Spend the Ad bucks.

And you won't need a full-page advertisement. A quarter-page for a couple of days may go a long way.

10. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Re: MORE RED n' BLACK...

BLACK ARMY!!!!!

11. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    ... me and 47 others

- Edsucko dribbling the ball out of bounds with the game on the line

- Billy Walsh at one time being our best player

- Lalas giving Metro fans the finger (when he was a Metro)

- Sitting in a stadium in Paris and cheering for the Metro's newest signee Marcelo Vega against Brazil in WC98 (yes, I did that)

- Russell Payne, the worst MLS goalkeeper ... ever

- Mohammed Khakpour, Mike DuHaney, Arley Palacios

- paying $15 to park during the China game

- Miles Joseph, Rob Johnson, Brian Kelly

- well, you get the idea ...

12. metrocyco36

metrocyco36 New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    suffern,n.y.
    i am brand new to these boards,but have been METRO since the beginning,and this final is a dream come true.screw the MFO, this is a fan's final,and WE need to fill those seats! i have 8 people going already.do what ever you can to get people out to the swamp on the 15th! METRO FOREVER!

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I hope there is good traveling support for the away fans..... but we have gotta top 20, 000 at least...

although last year in Colombus, only 6, 000 showed up despite the home field....

14. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Have you reserved your seat at the Old Schilling yet?

15. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    this is not meany in anyway to discourage anyone from going to nathan hale's, i wouldnt even care if im the only one going straight to the stadium, i just hope as many as you are going...for those that are not planning on going to nathan hales, please let me know where the planned parking lot is to meet...i'll go as early as anyone wants to, be it when the parking lot opens to some drinkin started, maybe even play some short sided games or kick it around...then we can go in with ESC...

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    nahhhh..... will be at Giants Stadium for this one :) I got the car reserved and everything! :)

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Quit egging us on and just go to the game, alright?

Geez.

18. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Why dont you guys just meet up in Lot 16A? Thats were the tailgate usually is.

19. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, lot 16A will be the place. Bring the beers. Bring the grills. Most of all bring your voice and the voices of as many new fans you can find.

Come on Metro!

20. You can run a FULL PAGE ad in the New York Sun for much much less

http://www.nysun.com/mk_rates_gen.html

I'll put up the first $20 towards an ad in the Sun. Anyone willing to organize it?

21. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Re: Re: The Bottom Line on USOC Final Crowd

Ill drop 20 large... i mean $20. Let me know what happens secnpa@aol.com

22. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    16A it is...i'll be there as early as anyone else wants to get there so keep me posted

23. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: The Bottom Line on USOC Final Crowd

If I'm reading that right, 100 of us putting up 20 bucks each gets us a half-page ad - plenty 'nuff for what we've got to say.

I'll put up 20 if it's on, but we've got to do this QUICK.

24. JayKay

JayKay New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    NJ
    If we go through someone who everyone knows as reputable.(i.e. Our fearless ESC leader) I'll put up my $20. If the newspaper knows it's a grassroots movement by the fans, maybe they'd be willing to cut us a deal. It's worth a shot.

25. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Last year, the NY Rangers trounced the Isles in a game at the Mauseleum. The following day there was an advertisemnt in page 4 of the sports section criticizing the Isles for not showing up and letting their fans down. It was taken out by 1 rich Isles fan. If you folks want, I can try to contact my former journalism professor, an editor at newsday. I'll ask if he could find out if a deal could be cut.