The Boss Speaks

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by j1mbr0wn, Nov 4, 2009.

1. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm glad RBR got something out of him, and he certainly seems intent on improving the quality of the team. His answer to the question about the restrictions on talent sharing between Salzburg, RBNY and RB Leipzig was interesting.

3. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team was 5-19-6 i would certainly hope they plan on raising the quality of the team.:D How? Would be the better question.

4. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must have been me but that was 2 minutes of fluff. I got alot of "for sures" out of that interview and "we want to raise the quality of the team". Pretty much zero, other than maybe mentioning the impact player who we all know is Henry, on how that was going to get done. At least he seems to have done some homework on MLS rules. For sure.

5. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But wait, there's more! From the NYTimes blog:

Not all of the article, but the key parts:

6. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is mostly encouraging. Let's see if they follow through.

7. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    The last sentence says it all.

I'm tellin' ya', I can smell it. "Jeff and Ritchie; they're here, they're familiar with the system, we need continuity, we think they're our best chance going forward (and we didn't know what else to do)". :D:D:D

8. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit concerned that Jeff's name was mentioned as being in charge, even with the "for the moment" caveat.

Best case scenario, Richie stays as head coach, Jeff goes.

Second best, Richie stays as head coach, Jeff is waterboy.

I'm going to hope that a new Sporting Director or Technical Director is named before January.

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm hoping its sooner than that. I can live with richie/agoos picking the expansion list but then the work should begin Dec 1. The MLS draft is january will be key, especially with the rumor that Dilly Duka has signed as GA and will enter the draft.

10. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I agree that no one likes to see anyone mention Jeff as being in charge, but everyone involved does seem clear that a new SD will be hired. I think, as the boss-man, he's kind of obliged to say that the people currently appointed are running the ship while the search goes on. He can't really say, "No one's in charge and we're floating adrift. We're going to choose the protected list by drawing names out of a hat."

However, I agree completely that no one in their right mind *wants* him to be in charge, and the sooner a new SD is hired, the better.

11. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And another one at mlsnet.

Similar articles at BigAppleSoccer and NY Post

Largely the same thing, but hey... I'm glad to see they backed off the original statement that he wouldn't be available to the media. Instead, he was, and said things that at least sound like he's taken the time to grasp some of the issues of fixing this team within the MLS context--something we've all expressed worry about. Not a guarantee of good decisions, but at least indications of a capable decision-maker. Time will tell.

12. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will like to add that a key element to all of this, and every team mind you, is the MLS players union meetings coming up. If the cap is raised, if each team gets another DP, if the amount of money they will have to play with increases then ALL SCOUTING and possible names from that point on get more serious.

13. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Are you saying that Beiersdorfer's choices for SD, GM, scouts, etc. could change depending on the outcome of the players' union meetings? If so, why? For example, why would the amount of money RB has to spend on management depend on what happens to the cap, etc.? Why would those meetings and other changes you mentioned influence Beiersdorfer's decisions?

If I'm misunderstanding you and you're referring to the scope of available players changing then I apologize. You would certainly be correct about that.

14. Homebrew4U

Homebrew4U New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Eastchester, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read MightyMouse's observation to mean that, while we may all be chomping at the bit to get the SD and coaching decisions made, it's possible that no meaningful player decisions will be made until the new CBA determines the structure, anyways. The counter-argument to that is that creating the protected list IS a meaningful player decision. Let's just hope that RW has a lot more say in it than JA.

I'll also take a moment to mention that the salary cap is not a part of the CBA, because if I don't someone else will. I think I read on these boards somewhere that the salary cap is usually voted on at the Board of Governor's meeting that takes place around the MLS Cup and announced shortly thereafter.

15. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Thanks, H4U, for clearing that up (although of course I realize you don't speak for MM, he would probably agree with you).

Frankly, I've been champing at the bit for quite a while now. Unfortunately, the only people who might know what RB will do don't post here and, frankly, even Beiersdorfer and Mateschitz may not be sure yet. That's what scares me.

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be honest, the fan in me wants to know who it will be yesterday. But logic tells me patience is the better path here.

As for the MLS draft, I'm a bit ambivalent about it. Certainly, if we don't have a new coach, Richie will be involved in the decision (with Jeff, yes, but still.)

However, I'm hoping that next year we worry less about the draft and more about siging some acadamy players. I think our main focus needs to be established players, though.

17. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    well, getting the SD right is the key thing, but make no mistake the expansion draft is important. the MLS draft is very important, also culling a couple of usuable pieces from USL is important...the good MLS teams get players in these ways. And getting the academy promotion right is key for the long term also.

18. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we didn't have the meltdown year we just had, I'd agree and say that we need to leverage all of those avenues for new talent to develop. However, I really think this is all icing. I'm much more worried about the cake. I think our higher priority is a few journeyman or veteran players for the "spine" of the team.

We need to have two additional solid centerbacks, possibly to push any we keep from this past year onto the bench.

We need a serious upgrade to our central midfield, especially behind the forwards. We keep talking about a playmaker; there's a reason for that.

And we need another striker to fight Kandji for time.

In my mind, we need 5 or 6 solid, proven veteran players before we can look to expanding our depth with rookies and developmental players. To be honest, none of our rookies seems ready to step up, so we either develop them one more year, or replace them with new talent. I think there is not a lot of difference in either approach.

19. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    what I think we need are at least 5-6 solid players, but there's nothing to say they can't be young players. Look at the playoff teams, it works. We have 2 first round picks, no reason they can't be starting players...especially that #2 pick. be careful with the "journeyman" types..

20. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I'm not against talent no matter the age/experience. But I'm thinking we still need that veteran presense to help get the kids up to speed. All to many times the transition from college to MLS or even USL to MLS takes time.

I'm thinking players like Dema Kovelenko, Brian Carrol, Jack Jewsbury, Carey Talley, or Ugo Ihemelu. Guys that aren't superstars, but are solid, dependable players.

This is the core that we are missing. Petke and Stammler are the only two I can think of right now that fit this description. Any other successful team I can think of has a roster with several of these types of players.

21. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
  22. lonelycowboy

lonelycowboy Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Austria
    Update: Beiersdorfer is in Austria right now but will return to New York next week because of "important staff decisions" and to participate in a meeting of the MLS.