The BigSoccer Science Thread volume 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, May 7, 2012.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On May 12th we’ll see the Event Horizon Telescope’s Image of the Milky Way’s Supermassive Black Hole

The results will be shared as part of a press conference on Thursday, May 12th, starting at 03:00 PM CEST (08:00 EDT; 05:00 PDT). The event will take place at the ESO Headquarters in Munich, Germany, and live-streamed via an ESO webcast.

https://www.universetoday.com/155696/this-is-it-on-may-12th-well-see-the-event-horizon-telescopes-image-of-the-milky-ways-supermassive-black-hole/#:~:text=This is it!-,On May 12th we'll see the Event Horizon Telescope's,image of a black hole.

rslfanboy, usscouse and fatbastard repped this.
  2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Okay. This is undeniably cool:
    Utah scientists revive cells in human donor eyes, transforming brain and vision research
    So.... no grave robbing.

I will totally sign up for cyborg eyes.

usscouse repped this.
  3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    At my age it seems silly to think of organ donation. Although they’re keeping me going in fine style.
    Except for my eyes. I’m better than 20/20 in one eye and almost as good in the other.
    Who knows, some 30 year old, who already knows everything, :) may be really happy to have them.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Your organs can still be a service to science. Also, this study in particular just needed eyes that were from a "freshly deceased" person. Basically, they got the eyes to the research scientists in 20min (I think I got that right?). So this was planned and they were ready to go.

I'm starting to rethink my squirrel suit palliative care plan. Maybe I'll head to Oregon so I can end my life at a hospital, they take whatever they want from my body, and then the rest gets sent to the composter.

5. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    When life is over, who cares what they do, except it’d be nice to know in advance that you’re still useful.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The black hole at the heart of our galaxy.

Screenshot_20220512-151015_Google.jpg

A bit blurry but it is 5.9 trillion miles away.

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Interesting story, maybe a bit of a stretch tho. From the good old Daily Mail.

“Did China cover-up truth about who first made it to top of Everest?”

https://mol.im/a/10808817

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    They don’t drive they are travellers and as sovereign citizens it is their constitutional right to travel.

9. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm not sure who was 1st but I'm am sure whoever it was wore a Rolex watch with a snazzy wrist band. :thumbsup:

Ps... @Moishe would know. :whistling:

usscouse repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Balderdash!! They should learn to read and cross the road where the signs are posted instead of traveling willy-nilly! :mad:

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Years back I was in Shenzen, China and bought 2 Rolex’s, one for a buddy. Cost me $36 for both. That’s with fancy wrist bands. No big deal.

I heard later that they were known as Lolex. I wear mine now and then when I want to quietly impress. Side by side you can’t tell them apart. :)

song219 and roby repped this.
  12. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Pffftt! Every 5 years or so I get me a Timex for about $15 and as JCS extolled..."they take a lickin but keep on tickin"!

Ps...when you wear your Lolex do you order flied lice takeout? :coffee:

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statutes and codes don't apply to them.

14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Assuming Hillary was truly the first to summit Everest, he did do wearing an Oyster Perpetual with a leather band. The watch would later become what is now known as the Explorer.

15. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I am aware that Hillary was a climber but didn't know that Everest was in her resume! :sneaky:

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever she was climbing she didn't make the summit.

YankHibee repped this.
  17. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm checking her emails....I'll get back to you. :unsure:

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The mind boggles. What the human brain can conceive. The military would be interested in the night vision and other aspects.
    This is an ad but amazing just the same.

Sci-fi no more: Introducing the contact lenses of the future
    In addition to correcting sight, researchers are working on features such as augmented reality, night vision and the ability to zoom in and out, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of pathologies

More and more companies and scientists are working to equip contact lenses with applications that not long ago still seemed like science fiction, such as the ability to record videos or diagnose and even treat diseases. Mojo Vision, an American startup, is one company that has been improving its prototypes since 2015. It is currently developing an ambitious project involving augmented reality lenses that, in addition to correcting your vision, will let you consult all kinds of information, from the trails on a ski slope to your pace when you run, all through microLED displays the size of a grain of sand.

20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Pretty amazing animation of SARS CoV2

fatbastard repped this.
  21. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I read that with interest yesterday. Not in my lifetime but it is promising for the next generations.

Nobody addressed the old problem or how it will affect this new method. That is ‘waste’. Do we still plan on shooting it at the sun? Not serious of course but it was one idea put forward a while back.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Michael Crichton used an description like this in his book “Timeline” as his quantum physics idea for Time travel. Fiction of course. :)

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten about the plan to shoot to the sun. Frankly, I have payed attention to fusion since college (so along time). Glad to see some progress, but nothing will happen in my lifetime.