The BigSoccer Forums Suck

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite what I was talking about. Remember that yellow stripe on the left that said "Share the Passon!" ??

While I miss the "true" full-screen look, I also would miss the navbar that took its place. If something like this "remains available for premium members" then i've yet to find it.

But since I have your attention, you could probably kill the forum at the bottom of this list. We have forums for the league, forums for each club, but we also have the f=197 forum. Make that one like this one. A list of sub forums with no "new thread" button at the bottom.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    So, is there any point in asking to keep the current setup/look?

And will the posts that are currently here make the move as well?

3. Fabregasfan

Fabregasfan New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We will definitely be looking to migrate all the current posts. We would not want to lose all the great content here.

In terms of keeping the current setup, there will likely be some change, but by providing us feedback, we can try and retain key functionality that's important to you, even if it looks different.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure some of the team pages could go. The Crew team page hasn't been seriously used in a long time, and the roster is horrendously out of date. I wonder how many forum regulars knows it exists.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Along those lines, the Social Groups coud be dumped entirely.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup....

Which one has the most posts? Wondering out of curiosity.

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as a dial-up user, the worst is all the little scripts that load toward the end of the page being displayed - does anybody actually use all those twitter, facebook and whatever else buttons you've added lately that I have to block?
    Seems to make the simplest things take forever to load, it can't be helping the servers either.

8. Fabregasfan

Fabregasfan New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hi - (Dialup!)

We are finding that a not insignificant proportion is coming to the site through social media, part of which is driven through sharing. That being the case, we'd be a bit reluctant to remove those buttons but definitely take your feedback on board.

9. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I still don't know what you are referring to. Share the Passion on the left side, huh? Are you saying your widescreen experience is ruined by having a 160px navigation bar on the left. I'm pretty sure sentiment is that that's useful, but let me know if I'm wrong.

As discussed in another thread we have pulled down many of those. The little scripts you refer to analyze our traffic, not create twitter icons.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Xen and Vanilla are the options I vote sticking with what we have and streamlining. I'm sure there are a ton of features on here now but I've never taken the time to look at any of them (there are blogs?)

K

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    This
    This
    This

:D

12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    What does the Scores tab really add to the site? You can find this information from other sites more easily. If it's just to show scores and tables, then ESPN and Skysports already have that information readily available, and in a more detailed and user-friendly format.

Why add a second-class (and I don't mean that pejoratively, but it is clearly not a core area for the site) feature, a better version of which is already widely and easily available to users?

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. What the heck is the point of them? The only thing I can think of is to try to subtract from Facebook traffic by bringing Facebook here.

HOWEVER... aren't the forums "social groups" enough?

Remember the yellow bar on the left? The forum used to look a lot more like this one. The new menu pushes the left side in, and IMO, it's not a true "widescreen" look.

On a 1280x800 laptop, the "premium skin" pushes the forums wider, but it looks really ugly with the gray bars at top and bottom being the same length.

@monster, @bssm
    This

14. Fabregasfan

Fabregasfan New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Huss might be in a better position to comment about the left nav.

On the soccer scores part, we can look into the traffic there and see whether it justifies the prominent position on the nav bar.

Thank you, as ever, for your feedback.