Post-match: The Biggest Manchester Derby Ever

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by StuMCFC, Apr 22, 2012.

1. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No hyperbole, this is the biggest derby ever. Games like City relegating United on the last day of the 73/74 season, the 6-1, and the Carling Cup semi don't stack up to this in importance.

We've done an incredible job, EVERYONE wrote off our mercenaries with no team spirit (blah blah blah) at 8pts behind but we have fought like kings to the point where a win will put us top on goal difference. A draw doesn't necessarily end our hopes but a loss would be the worst of the worst. I'll be at the game next Monday night and don't even want to contemplate that, already sat through one loss to United this season in the Cup where we had 10 men for 80 minutes.

P.S. Even if we beat United we must stay grounded, Newcastle away could be an even tougher game.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Mancini finally decided to throw some caution to the wind when it seemed like it was all over. The Tevez/Aguero partnership is deadly and should really give hell to the struggling ManU defence.

3. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe game is 8 days away and i'm already nervous about it. Interested to see who is appointed the ref, and to see if Mancini sticks with the same lineup as the last few games.

4. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am nervous about this match for several reasons but I have never been more excited about a match in my life. Not only is this the biggest derby ever but it will be my first live match in Manchester. My mate and I leave on Friday and I am already wound up for this. A few weeks ago we were just hoping we wouldn't fly 5000 miles to watch our boys have to give those twats an honor guard in our building for winning the league, funny what a difference a couple of weeks can make. I am so excited at this point I am already having trouble sleeping and its only Sunday night. This is truly a dream trip for me win or lose. I can't believe I am actually going. Come on you Blues!

5. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Howard Webb is the ref. Oh dear!

6. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No surprise, just like in the FA Cup derby they will need their 12th man. Foy sent off Kompany very early in the FA Cup derby and we still only lost 3-2 and were all over them by the end.

Could have been worse, Foy, Mason, Atwell, Dowd are even worse than Webb.

7. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this morning that the referee will be Andre Marriner not Howard Webb.

8. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    marriner is the ref so I hear. The webb claim was just an online joke that got out of hand.

9. el travieso

el travieso Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Please beat united. Hope scholes does another one of his trademark crap tackles, gets sent off, and city win 6-1 again.

10. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From your lips to Gods ears mate!

11. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm 100% sure we're better than United but these things rarely matter in the Manchester derby, logic is thrown out of the window. Look at the teams when we beat them in the Munich anniversary game where they were "supposed" to win.

We did the double over them that season too under Sven. :D

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, O'Shea (Carrick 73), Nani (Park 64), Scholes, Anderson (Hargreaves 73), Giggs, Ronaldo, Tevez.
    Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Simpson.

Goals: Carrick 90.

Man City: Hart, Onuoha, Richards, Dunne, Ball, Vassell, Ireland, Hamann (Jihai 84), Gelson, Petrov (Garrido 87), Benjani (Caicedo 75).
    Subs Not Used: Isaksson, Geovanni.

Goals: Vassell 25, Benjani 45.

12. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A pub in Blackley, a few miles north of the Etihad. :D

[​IMG]

14. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    errr it's Photoshop

15. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two Blues I know have driven past there and said the message is legit.

16. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would these two blue be Bertie Magoo and Poznan Pete ? :)

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Might get in trouble with the filth :eek: :D

Anyway, not that it makes any difference what I think but I'm rooting for you fellas for this epl. It's good to spread it around a bit :)

18. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Rooting for you guys. My roommate is a Man City fan, he occasionally wakes up to watch their matches :D I'll show some solidarity with him.

Actually, I couldn't stand Man City winning this and seeing his face. Go United!

19. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reading pundits picking us to beat Utd makes me feel even more uneasy about this game. 18 hours left

20. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the team aren't looking past this one towards the big one against Mark Hughes' QPR... stay focused lads!

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck guys... win! Make it an interesting title run-in... just out of curiosity... say it's 0-0 going into injury time and _______ steps up to thump the winner for City... who would you want that player to be? Tevez? Savic?

22. JohnClement

JohnClement Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Good luck tonight, if it wasnt for bent refereeing the title would already be yours anyway, with United not even in the top 4. And while were at it at least 15 trophies over the past 20 years would have gone to other teams.

23. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Micah Richards. :cool:

Or Joe Hart! He nearly scored against Sporting.

The perfect irony would be Tevez shooting and the ball deflecting off the referee's arse into the goal. They've had so much help from the referees over the years that this would be poetic justice.

24. JohnClement

JohnClement Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    If that happened it would be dissallowed for offside -even though the referee is usually a Manchester United player.

25. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Off to the match now, as always on derby day I have no confidence and don't know what will happen. But just happy my team have reached the point so quick they're in what the media are saying will be the most watched Premier League game of all time... up to 650,000,000 viewers worldwide. We've come a long way and will go a long way further in the years to come. CTID. COME ON CITY!