News: The Big Tech Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's kind of remarkable they broke the algo and didn't realise until catturd and co all started complaining

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I got banned for wishing death on Trump or some such nonsense. But new phone means new Twitter! :thumbsup:

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, it looks like Twitter fixed Musk's problem by pushing him into everyone's "For You" page. His tweets have been the first tweet in all my reloads today. heh.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I heard some theory that Alanis knew that her lyrics weren't ironic, which therefore made her song the ultimate irony. I doubt that, but it's a cool theory.

soccernutter repped this.
  5. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Perfect plan!

Now Musk will again be able to tweet "Works fine for me" :ROFLMAO:

rslfanboy, The Jitty Slitter and Mike03 repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    For you is a streaming geyser of piss right now

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How they implemented it sucks. Basically just a random assortment of the tweets of accounts the people you follow interact with or follow. They assume the people you follow have similar interests to you, but that is definitely not the case in a lot of the ways.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yep. And usually stuff from yesterday or older

like I don’t follow musk yet I have loads of his tweets in my stream

meanwhile in my chrono stream half the time nothing loads

9. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Pretty sure the load from the For You algorithm is what broke the reduced processor power of their remaining server farms.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow, the description you all paint of the current iteration of twitter makes me 100 times glad I have steered clear of it.
    Sure, this might be a place of "group-think" (according to the few self-described conservatives here), but at least Big Soccer does not direct posts to me.
    I can get in enough trouble here by myself!

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It seems than an actual crisis meeting was called and the dev teams had to jump on 'fixing' engagement by creating a god type weighting for musk tweets

This is an example of how they are just breaking the UX based on the whims of the boss rather than delivering any value to users.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Many users view the chrono feed rather than the algo feed but that requires work from users to create their own experience via lists, follows, blocks, mutes etc - i.e too hard for a low touch user, but powerful for advanced users

One of the issues is Musk has broken both experiences

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is definitely an issue with the under resourcing of the helper processes that run in the background.

I didn't fully understand how they work but simplistically, no web experience is built for your browser from the ground up these days as that would be too much load on the servers - especially with highly dynamic content like twitter it pre-prepares lots of things (i.e. cache) - but if these services run out of resources (the queue of tasks gets too long), they just dump the queue

It seems Twitter basically does cache each users timeline ahead of time

Here, the basic idea is that we prepare, or cache, each user’s home timeline ahead of time so that when it’s requested, no additional work is required. When a user posts a tweet, besides being stored in a table, it’s immediately inserted into timeline caches for all of their followers. Thanks to this, reading a timeline is very cheap, because it has already been computed - it’s enough to just read from the cache. There is no need for any other expensive database operations.​

https://arkadiuszchmura.com/posts/how-twitter-handled-personalized-timelines-for-their-users/

I certainly notice this when i log in with my morning coffee and try and check trade twitter - i just get a scant few tweets and refreshing doesn't bring help (because cache)

spejic repped this.
  15. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to really enjoy Twitter, and stayed on it almost two years after I quit Facebook for good. But yeah, at this point my decision to delete my account on the bird app looks better and better all the time.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In the last year or so a major tech trend has become clear which is the end of the UCG/News era of social media.

Facebook got out of news some time ago (having scammed publishers), and is no longer much about your friends. Insta similar - its all about the content pushed by the algo - not who you follow. This is good for some kind of creators. e.g the model where you earn % of ad rev. But very few creators make a living that way. The major platforms have now rolled out paid subscriptions which are clearly designed for creators. If you are a professional content creator, then the costs are quite small. But the features are no use to regular users.

It seems Elrond Musk had spectacularly bad timing in buying Twitter at the top of the market, but also because Twitters super power was news and setting the agenda.

Twitter has moved to more of an insta model but without the big celebs/brands to drive engagement. Musk also alienated many of the news people and orgs that drove the platform.

Musk seems to have banked on a large army of small creators but it doesn't seem likely there is a business model in this.

spejic and Belgian guy repped this.
  18. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    These publlcly traded companies just chase quarterly results (be it profit or growth). They don't think long term.

Instagram went all-in with celebrities because they saw it would increase engagement and revenue. Celebrities are always a draw, so it works for them.

Facebook pivoted from friends and family to hard advertising because they saw it would increase revenue. They didn't care that users would be drowned with advertising and leave.

Twitter went all-in with controversy because they saw it increased engagement, and presumably increase engagement and revenue. They didn't care that controversy would draw both users and advertisers away.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue that there are differences in the companies. Those with a large social recognition arena (think beyond the social media companies, and even those like Amazon, Microsoft, etc) are absolutely quarter to quarter. But others, who are not as much in the foreground, can afford to think and behave longer term. I'm thinking a company like Mettler-Toledo International Inc. I got in with them several years ago when they were in the $300-$400 range because they were a solid company which build good products. But they have a low float and small trade volume. There are tons of other companies like that as well.

I wonder how that is working out for them? I used pop on to Insta every week or two, but now I don't use it at all (it's been maybe a year).

Yeah, and I can't stand their "reels and shorts." They have no association with me. YouTube, OTOH, knows me quite well, and did from the start.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    "Since when is it “O.K.” for a foreign-owned company to gather information about U.S. citizens?

True patriots like me will only allow our personal data to be Hoovered up by trustworthy red-white-and-blue American companies like Amazon, Google, Twitter and Facebook.

(One second, the Amazon Alexa machine heard me say “Hoover” and tried to order a vacuum cleaner.)"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...tok-ban-us-data-harvesting-china/11530027002/

rslfanboy, xtomx, chaski and 3 others repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Heads, you lose, Tails, Ticketmaster wins!

charlie15, superdave and celito repped this.
  23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There's blame to go around. NCAA lawyers could have negotiated not having such a high fee if the NCAA actually cared. The NCAA probably gets a cut. Countdown to when someone comes on to defend college sports.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Ticketmaster's almost monopoly on ticket sales in the US, there is very little negotiation that ticket sellers can do. As an example, for their recent/ongoing tour, The Cure negotiated a $30 ticket, but Ticketmaster more than doubled that price with fees, so the only party that was "hurt" by the reduced ticket prices was The Cure.

That's not to say NCAA isn't a money grubbing corporation, just saying you don't negotiate with Ticketmaster unless you're willing to take the hit.

Cascarino's Pizzeria and dapip repped this.
  25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26