News: The Big Tech Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Jitty Slitter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They must have had something though - because how else can you push your code for usability testing etc? One of the criticisms of them is they were quite slow to deploy code through the various stages from dev to test to limited production - so I can't reconcile this one. Perhaps dev was done on some sort of a local version?

ETA: I see they have some strange setup

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They wouldn't be the only company that tests in production. ;)

MattR and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... Is there a point where Tesla has to address the Elon Musk question? Their stock is taking a tumble and analysts are blaming the damage Elon's reputation has taken over the last year. Admittedly, stocks can turn around quickly, but when your brand is so tied up in a single person and that person is flying off the deep end....

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And somehow Twitter continues to chug along.

Smurfquake repped this.
  6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Elon had one heck of a bad reception at a Chappelle Show yesterday.

Granted thats highly anecdotal and probably a left leaning crowd. But, not a great sign.

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, a Chappelle crowd is going to be somewhat self-selected against the truly "woke", since Chappelle has said some pretty nasty things about trans people. I wouldn't go see him.

QuakeAttack, Mike03 and superdave repped this.
  8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Yes fair enough. That's a great point. Even worse for Elon.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really fallen in to the memory hole that so many people (myself included) thought Twitter was going to collapse under its own weight when so many people left the company. I'm not sure why we were wrong - maybe Twitter was built very well (but the whistleblower documents say otherwise); maybe there are some lesser seen parts that are failing but the basic functionality is just fine; maybe it's not actually that hard to keep a global site up and running, and there were too many Twitter employees who really were unnecessary. I hope it's not that last one, because that means Elon was right, but it also means that Silicon Valley employees aren't as awesome as we keep telling everyone we are.

luftmensch repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only Silicon Valley employee worth a shit is spejic.

MattR, Mike03, xtomx and 5 others repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    i expect all these guys to come out in full nazi regalia before the year is out

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Truth

1602107646437654528 is not a valid tweet id

luftmensch, Mike03 and superdave repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have said, it will take a while for Twitter to fall apart. It is on some server somewhere and will continue to chug along. But eventually the logs and updates, and maybe lack of money, will cause it to slowly go off line.

Or if the computer are heavily infected, ransomware. Oh, that would be awesome.

Smurfquake repped this.
  14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wrote on here that Twitter is used by governments, media, and sports for a reason. And quite honestly, what viable alternative is there? Post is early days, Mastodon is social media for Linux nerds (And I like Linux!), and aside from those, it's still early and I mean early.

As for the people that left, yes, it's still sustainable but doing everything to keep it running with a reduced staff? Well, that never works out at all. And if anything, it's not employees, it's Silicon Valley execs that aren't as awesome (Zuck and his weird 90s VR obsession) as we've been told.

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    01c2dcb5ad2447839c3f458cc591f004_w200.gif

spejic repped this.
  16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in SF.. While you can question if the crowd was "woke", they were, most likely, in the tech industry or adjacent to the industry. Musk's treatment of Twitter employees is not going to go over well for people in that industry, even if they don't disagree with his Tweets.

17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, casually ruining lives is not normally met with enthusiasm.

superdave repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Elon barely said a word with the incessant booing . Not sure what Dave was trying to do here.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    oooh oooh! I know. To show how WOKE SF is.

Mike03 repped this.
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless you call it "disruption." Then you'll rack up venture capital by the billions.

rslfanboy and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I couldn't even keep my high tech career going. The chances of me keeping something like Twitter up is zero.

But if you mean as a human being, I accept the compliment without necessarily believing it's true.

luftmensch, raza_rebel, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    So long as you don't ever display any humanity or compassion there'll always be a spot for you on our team! :thumbsup:

HAIL GRIMES!!!

Mike03, song219, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Apart from the misunderstanding that no one serious thought it would go down any time soon - there are several explanations for this

1. All the techs were a bit overstaffed as it was top of the cycle - so maybe as as many as 20-30% could be lost in getting leaner

2. Most of the people fired aren't techs, but people who work on/with the platform - moderation, safety, sales, marketing etc

3. There are different dev/tech teams - so i am assuming they mostly kept critical environment people who keep the thing going, a bare bones support team, and a tiny dev team. If you decide you just aren't going to develop the product much because you are doing a big change of direction you can lose a lot of people there.

Also, i assume they just assumed a different risk profile, You can get rid of people it you are happy to accept possibilities of major outtages.

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As an example, I had a ex-client contact me after several years about changes to an app they had taken in-house. it quickly became clear that they had no one in house who could do React. So the app was unsupported all that time, but was heavily used every day. It could have blown up on day one - but in fact ran quite happily.

Twitter will be like this on a major scale. There will be big knowledge gaps but it won't become obvious until stuff goes wrong.

Mike03 repped this.