The Big Question: Sven or Ranieri?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by miko, Feb 17, 2004.

1. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    Who is the best manager for Chelsea? There has been a lot of speculation about Sven coming after Euro 2004. And although Ranieri is doing a good job in my opinion, if Chelsea don't win any silverware this season, Sven could be manager soon.

So who would you prefer as the manager of Chelsea? Sven or Claudio?

I don't mind that much really but what about everyone else?

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The remainder of this and one more for Ranieri.

Having a manager that continually picks that flipin Donkey Heskey to lead the attack is enough for me not to want him, never mind the fact that mindless hoof the ball would be the norm.

No thank you!

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Claudio for sure.

4. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    no brainer

#1 Rainieri, he judges talent best. Besides Heskey, Sven evisions Lampard to maybe be a sub maybe a starter for England. He would do well to build the midfield around this hard-working two-way warrior instead of the mercurial ginger boy, Scholes. I could also mention Seaman and Sven's resistance to try Becks in the center against some teams (he really is a good tackler and springs the strikers exceptionally well after winning the ball). I am afraid I wouldn't like the brand of football we play under Sven

#2 Rainieri is tactically a genius. But, sometimes, the execution is not perfect because it might be over the heads of some players. Makelele Mutu Lampard get it. Others (JFH) don't. Rainieri will truly excel when he gets a squad of truly intelligent players who appreciate the sublime. I would predict, Raul would be a better addition than Ronaldo (although, I highly doubt he would leave Real) and Salgado could be a great fit, too. Unfortunately, it is hard to really test the intelligence of a player until they come to your squad and sometimes they need some additional schooling before they can develop into a really effective player for Claudio Rainieri (Joe Cole, Bridge, Johnson, and Scott Parker).

#3 Sports media has a short attention span. Rainieri has always said be patient that we have great players but they need time to gel. Late in games against lesser competition you can squeeze out victories and save draws by enormous displays of individual talent. But, in the tough games against quality squads (Arsenal) that have an almost clairvoyant understanding of their teammates positioning, their preferences, and their strengths - individual talent won't cut it without good luck. Claudio says the right things to the media he is honest, informative, speaks his mind, and is not evasive. He reminds me of a talented conductor to a great orchestra.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sven has not had much success - not as much as hoped or expected. His sides are good. They qualify. But they do not dominate and are not consistent.

Ranieri (and some money) has transformed Chelsea into a legit EPL title contender and European power.

In the last 3 years or so, Ranieri has had more success, on a relative scale. It think it would be foolish to sack Ranieri for Sven.

Sven may be a good coach but I don't see him squeezing any more out of this team than what Ranieri is currently doing.

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  8. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Cappello is more of a winner than Ranieri will ever be .The "tinkerman" wont ever deliver anything .
    I had a laugh at that post earlier in the thread which called him a "tactical genius".

I reckon you'll have to win the champions league for ranieri to stay .

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    No question about it, although i would venture a guess that Abramovich has come away from todays game already thinking about a change.
    He may have somebody in mind before the champs league final even if we did get that far.

10. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    His job is supposedly safe until the end of the season.
    But if you lose to stuttgart he might be gone sooner..

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You may have missed Sven's international record or his string of successes in Portugal and then for Lazio, under whom they won the double in Italy and reached the CL quarters.

For all of the complaints about Sven's tactics and style, he's a proven winner.

I think Ranieri needs to have another year. If he gets it has yet to be determined.

12. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Chelsea are a big team now, the way I see it we should only have the very best managers managing Chelsea. Managers that are proven at the highest level and are able to win consistantly at all levels given a virtually unlimited budget (SGE, Wenger, Capello, etc). I think I would rather Capello than SGE personally but if we could have Wenger (unlikely) I would take him in a second.

13. qazwsx

qazwsx New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Australia
    Ohhh and Alex Ferguson, I hate him, I think hes a *beep*. But if we had him, theres no doubt we would be regually winning silverware.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, but how much did they have to spend to do it?

I think that Sven's record is OK - not much more than that, to be honest, bearing in mind the teams he has been given to manage and the money he has been given to spend on them.

Ranieri laid the foundations for the Valencia side that has done well over the past few years and, lest we forget, he's the one that got us into the CL's in the first place BEFORE Abramovich and his money arrived.

In any event what British footballers need when they're going out to face Sir red Noses lot or Bolton or Leeds is NOT a cerebral calming voice telling them not to worry - it's what Sir red Nose gives them - a bloody good kick up the arse - and they haven't done too badly out of it....

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Well, not as much as you'd think. Lazio's truly insane spending spree came after he won us the double. I think we were still starting Salas and Inzaghi up fron that year - not exactly Ronaldo and Raul. Nedved, Simeone, Conceicao, Almeida weren't outrageous purchases. Veron was expensive, but nothing compared to his later fees.
    It was only later that we bought Lopez, Crespo and (may he burn in hell) Mendieta for sums of money too insane to be believed now.

He's done pretty darn well with England though.

Dunno about that - just have no experience with it.

This question is misleading though. Its not a "whom would you prefer" because they aren't applying for a new job. Claudio has the job already. There needs to be a good reason to take it off of him, and I just don't see that yet. Claudio got us to 4th on meager resources and declining talent, and now he's crafted a side that was oh so close to challenging for the title. We're still in the CL, so lets not lose all hope. We have enough players with international pedigrees.
    This year was a test run. We needed the side to gel, and to see what else we need. That has become apparent - an heir to Desailly, a right winger (Geremi wasn't the solution) and another striker. Perhaps a new name at RB too. Those players will be easier to incorporate than the 9 we bought this year. Next year, I think we'll see the full potential of this side.
    On another thread I think someone said that Abramovich is impatient doesn't know him very well. (Not that I know the man personally!) He's not Daniel Synyder (for US based fans) or a Massimo Moratti. He's not flashy, he's not extravagant. For years, the Russian media wasn't entirely sure what he looked like, since he avoided the spotlight assiduously. He cultivated his fortune very carefully, and has alwyas been a low key figure. He does not strike me as a man who's going to go crazy and uproot everything because of one less than spectacular season. Look at it this way - can you think of ANYTHING Roman has said this year to the press? Doesn't strike me as the mark of an impatient and rash man.

16. NY via SE18

NY via SE18 New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    NYC
    Keep Claudio for at least the end of this season. If you finish ahead of Manu this will be moot. Plus Sven does not impress me with his selections - - Heskey always in? No Beatie last year? No Defoe for at least 45 mins last week?

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's interesting. Yes, I thought that some of it was spent after he left but wasn't sure how much.

Look, I think that Sven is a good manager but I'm just a bit irrirated when people start to make statements that seem to imply his record is unsurpassed in modern management - it isn't. It's OK... better than most probably, but not much more
    Agreed.
    I suppose what's making me nervous is all the media speculation over here. I don't know if you've been following it but it's pretty rabid... and I'm not just talking about the newspapers.

Like I said, I think that Ranieri's approach is more suited to the English game than Sven's because it's more combative and that's what's needed.

18. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't get the full sense of that in the US, simply because I can't. The extent of mainstream coverage of soccer in the US tends to consist of ESPN CL games, and the occasionaly top 10 highlight on sportscenter (usually a volley by someone famous). So its hard for me to gauge the real sense of speculation.
    However, I think much of it occurrs because its interesting, and because the media needs stuff to do.

For the moment, Ranieri's doing a fine job. We happened to be injury hit for BOTH of our league games against Arsenal. Even one draw there instead of a loss, and we're only six points off the pace. Had to blame him for bad luck.
    He deserves another season. Plus, lets see how we do in the CL. I don't see us losing to Stuttgart.

19. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    I think the main reason that SGE has been linked with the Chelsea position -- other than his friendship with RA -- is that he is the manager most like Ranieri currently plying his trade in England. The two have very similar ideas about team building and tactics.

I think the first thing you would here from SGE, if he were to replace Ranieri is that next season we shouldn't expect to win anything, as all of the players will be adjusting to his new system.

And if you pause and think about Chelsea longterm, isn't this the constant buggaboo at this club? I became a fan during the "sexy foreigners playing attractive football" era of Ruud Gullit. But I understand that we have been through various incarnations before that.

Ranieri has been through:

1. Working with Vialli's players to attempt to maintain the progress made there.
    2. Bringing in new recruits to replace Vialli's failures.
    3. No longer able to bring in new recruits due to the financial meltdown of two seasons ago.
    4. The sky's the limit Abramovich era.

Not surprisingly, our best season so far under Ranieri was last year, when the side was settled. This year looks like proving better because we spent so much money: shear force of natural talent is pushing us forward.

If Abramovich switches coaches now that we've dropped a couple of games, he will be pushing Chelsea into the 5th rework in as many years.

Sometimes, I wonder if Chelsea fans don't sort of hope that Ranieri will be fired; just to give us another excuse for underachieving next year. That was one thing SGE was able to stamp out at a very similar Lazio, where a culture of defeatism had set in like the rot.

20. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I was referring more to Sven's time with the England team. His English team has performed below expectations, though one can argue that those expectations are too high.

I think Ranieri deserves another year too. He got all those new players in during summer 2003. He shoudl get more than one season to get them all playing together. Lenghthy injuries to Duff and Veron haven't helped either.

21. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    which part attracted you more the attractive football or the sexy foreigners?
    ;-)

22. mother_goose

mother_goose Member

Dec 30, 2003
    Philippines
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    am not sure about below expectations... they may not be playing flash, dominating football but they are doing the job. getting the right results in the matches that matter and losing to the eventual champions in the WC, i'd say sven is doing something right there.

but its not to say id like to see him at chelsea next season. i think it would be a step backward if we put in a new manager. everyone would have to adjust to not only the new manager but also the new players that the new man would undoubtedly bring in. i would like ranieri to stay and to get good players on our problem positions on the right and hopefully be real contenders next year...

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's something else that ocurred to me over the weekend...

If Sven's England get dumped out of Euro '04 early and Ranieri's Chelsea win the CL and maybe even, (if Arsenal slump badly), the EPL - will anyone STILL be banging on about having Sven?

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is beginning to seriously piss me off...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/3520268.stm

If this is true is there anyone they HAVEN'T asked? Well, apart from me that is.

Hmm, that's a thought.

OK, First order of business, fellas - FREE match-day entrance for bigsoccer members, (including FREE flights and overnight hotels even if only coming from Wales).

Sound good??

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Can we all stay at the Village in Bates's suite? I'll start preparing the press release about your imminent pre-contract with the club Andy.