The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If Sancho is in the same position as Chalobah in that many years time, it will surely mean he isn't much cop after all, himself.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is probably the greatest year in the history of English youth football, which are the players that are most worthy to get excited about?

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    ChristianSur repped this.
  5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Good news from our point of view, but a pretty stupid strategy from Arsenal as a football club. The Europa League is arguably an easier path to Champions League football than the league is.

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yer dammed if yer do - yer dammed if yer don't.

I'd assumed Wenger having "burnt his fingers" in the past playing young players, that he had pulled right back with that policy. He obviously sees the Europa as a hindrance and distraction to his priorities.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Either way, good experience for the kids

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Baker's going on Chelsea's senior tour in Asia. So has Kyle Scott, but I don't know what our chances are of getting him back into our set-up. Unless they're injured, that presumably confirms that anyone else - Tomori, Clarke-Salter etc. - will be going out on loan imminently.

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They've both been in training with the senior squad and I expect they'll go. The fact they were omitted from some reports doesn't mean they're not going.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Ah sorry, I saw a long list and thought it was complete. I'm still assuming they'll go on loan this season, but then Baker probably will too.

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah they will, just that for the time being it's a numbers thing. Tomori is backup RWB to Moses and Clarke-Salter is backup LCB to Cahill.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Good to see that Oakley-Boothe's made a full recovery. Anyone know why S. Shashoua isn't going?

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A few days ago their u23s lined-up

Eyoma
    Maghoma
    Tanganga
    Bennetts

Amos
    Shashoua

Harrison
    Pritchard
    Tracey

Loft

So either not considered ready or going on loan but more likely the first.

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Decent chance of Reiss Nelson getting Europa League football this season then do we think?

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Maybe. But at the same time, Wenger has often played kids in pre-season, they've done well and then they've just been sidelined all season.

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It actually surprised me when I saw this (credit youth hawk), I didn't realise Arsenal were getting so many youth call ups.
    [​IMG]

The talent is evidently there in the Arsenal academy right now but Alex Iwobi is the only one to break through in recent times. There was that other table, already posted on here, that said they gave one minute of game time to teenagers in the Premier League last season. It's not great.

Nelson is probably one of the players that will benefit from Wenger giving the Europa League League Cup status

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A massive chunk of those came from the England U16 group; Daley-Campbell, Saka, Cottrell, Coyle, Matthews, Amaechi, John-Jules and Okonkwo, no club had more at that age group this season. Combine that with their U15 representation (not included in the above but Yunus Musah, Matthew Dennis, Armstrong Okoflex and Tom Smith) and you get the picture that after a few problematic years in terms of strength in depth (because they've been able to produce Nelson and the Willocks and maybe Nketiah as notable prospects) they're starting to rebound and show some positive signs again at these levels.

KingSRV repped this.
  20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Tosin, Foden, Rashford and Patrick Roberts are all starting the Man City v Man Utd game. It crosses a few age groups so I'll dump it in here :ninja:

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club: