The Big Daddy Management Search Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dirt McGirt, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Who should be Newcastle Uniteds next manager?

Who did he call out Bramble and Boumsong?

2. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX

So basically we're just praying for Mrs O'Neill to finally recover and for the season to end as soon as possible? That's certainly not how I pictured this season going after Owen arrived. :(

He didn't mention anyone by name.

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"We conceded two goals from individuals not doing their jobs properly," was his exact quote, but it was levelled at Bramble and Babayaro. Didn't mention them by name, but it was thinly-veiled at best.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is the most truth I've heard regarding the club in a long while. I feel horrible about the present situation. I don't feel angry surprisingly, just without hope. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a Geordie and have the club in your blood.

I'm starting to believe that the only think that can propel this club forward is new ownership and removel of the present administration.

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Meh, we've been here before so its nothing new.

6. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen

As much as I dislike Fat Freddy, I think our problem has more to do with the manager and his staff rather than ownership.

7. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Fat Freddy has done a great deal shelling out for the likes of Owen, Luque, and Parker. Unfortunately it looks like Luque is heading back to La Liga...but rumor has it we might get Woody back from the deal...which isn't a complete loss...Woody is a Geordy at hearT!

8. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do we need someone else's injured footballer, when we have enough of our own, Luque included? That does nothing to help the manager or the club. What needs to happen is that either Souness needs to take the next step in his crusade to blame everything and everyone but himself and get the physios and crappy players out, or he needs to take the fall himself.

9. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX

Souness has already gone on record as saying he'll never resign, so he's going to have to be fired. But until Mrs O'Neill recovers, we're not going to get the hubby. We could appoint a caretaker in the meantime, but maybe the devil we know is better than the one we don't. Besides, the caretaker would probably come from Graeme's assistants and that doesn't fill me with much hope at all.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://true-faith.co.uk/html/tbawe.htm
    True Faith getting it right as always.
    I would add Hitzfeld to this list.

11. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Mackems want Keegan to replace McCarthy, apparently. Why isn't his name surfacing with a return to save his old club? Some Distin-like betrayal or something? Any ideas?

12. Fat Dutchman

Fat Dutchman Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Red Lion, Aberdeen

It's a fair point about our current predicament and ownership, but that doesn't change the fact that people still want Souness out, be it now or the end of the season (most supporters seem to agree that Souness is not the right man for the job). He's almost a lame-duck manager now (if he is going to be replaced) and why are the players going to be giving their all (most don't seem to be doing that anyways) for a manager whom they know is going to be gone at the end of the season?

TF's position really doesn't solve our problems. There's no mention of whether Souness should be given money during this transfer period or not. We're lucky there's so many poor teams below us or we could have been (or we may still be) sucked into a relegation fight. Will an interim manager really do any worse than what Souness has done? It's a difficult situation that we're in and hopefully things improve...
    Hopefully we can turnover the Smoggies tomorrow and things improve for us.
    HOWAY THE LADS!!

13. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You must spread some Rep around before giving it to Fat Dutchman again.

Excellent take, imo.

14. PoshSpur

PoshSpur New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    New York

As this thread is titled - Who should be Newcastle Uniteds next manager?, I thought I would have my say and throw Keegan into the hat. Players love playing for him.

I would have gone for Burley, but Southampton got him. I can't see him staying there for long though, especially with Sir Woodward there.

15. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

I know this is going out on a limb, but I think I have a found the person who should be the Toon's next gaffer...

...for starter's, he's a Geordie, so he gets it.

...second, he has hinted about wanting to manage the club at some point...

.... no it's not who you think......

.... it's Clarkie.

16. Trackman20

Trackman20 Member

May 14, 2003
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Capello

He's got my vote, and apparently he has shown interest in the Premiership (by apparently I mean that he's quoted as saying he would like to manage in the Premeriship).

'But I would never discard a chance to work in England if the circumstances were right. The Premiership is a very attractive championship and I would love to prove that I can work in England as well as in Italy and Spain.' - Soccernet

17. 'Strobaby

'Strobaby New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Houston, TX

Isn't Capello the one who just went on the record, a week or so ago, about saying he'd like to run ManU one day? Why would he leave Italy for the disaster zone that is currently Newcastle? A challenge? Yes. But he's being mooted for Real Madrid and there he'd have a challenge with a bench and millions to rely on. Here he'd just have a challenge and Freddie to beg for cash.

18. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sam Allerdyce?
    Martin O'Neil?
    Glen Roeder?
    Lee Clark?
    Kevin Keegan?

I say let Souness work the season out and get O'Neil during the summer. I'm not sold 100% on Big Sam and he'll be after the England job after they lay an egg in the WC2006 anyway.

19. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

No thanks to Sam, I don't really see O'Neil returning to managing with NUFC, Glen no thanks, lee no thanks, and KK, well maybe, but ehh.

Paul le Guen gets my vote.

20. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lyon's old manager?

21. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net

^
    ^
    yes he is lyon old manager..

22. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Guus Hiddink - although he wont be avail until after the World Cup though (not sure if we can cope with Souness until then!)

Hitzfeld next.

But not Martin O'Neill. Too many hoof and hope long ball football (yawn)

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree I like Guus and Ottmer. Who are some of the names be passed around by the Geordie faithful? Do most fans want a British coach or do people feel like Freddy should widen the search to include Europe and South America?

24. robledo

robledo Member

Dec 5, 2000
    Seoul /Tokyo / U.K
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

really what other half decent British managers are out there? I'm not that keen on Allardyce and his style of football , Paul Jewell is the only other guy I like but largely unproven still...

as I said earlier, Hiddink or Hitzfeld would be my choice but I think Fat Freddy is of the opinion that Foreign manager = crap after the Gullit debacle :rolleyes:

Freddy also wants someone that 'understands the passion of the north east' and that probably rules out foreign coaches :rolleyes:

Please not Steve Bruce just because he's a geordie

25. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I bet Allardyce's style of footbal will change when he has a better calibre of player available to him. He's been fantastic with what he has had to work with. Anyway, adding some sharp set-piece play and ratcheting up the tightness of the defense would be welcome additions to Newcastle's style. But I figure Sam for England this summer, so hiring him now would be a mistake.

Jewell,s had a great three months. Lets look at him after a full year.

I would not replace Souness just because he sucks unless there was someone who sucked less available right away. If The Fat Man wants to restrict the pool to Englishmen or Geordies, that his call.