The Best Team in Asia: 1972 - Present

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by "Simply Ken", Oct 24, 2003.

1. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Well said. We're not trying to take anything away from the Iranians either. Recall when the world started to call korea the toothless tiger or even Asia's kitten. Our 2 - 6 loss ( I was in the 5th grade) against Iran is still engraved solidly in my mind. I still have nightmares about it.

But that was then and this is now. We'll see and may the best team dominate :p

2. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    my point was that the Korean fans didn't think so.

well, in the end, Japan won.

Just like how USA controlled the game against Iran at WC98 but still lost. Let's stop "considering circumstances" because every team has something to say.

again, we can't afford to take such things. S.Korea started to get "on a roll" starting from the match against Belgium at WC98. But nobody other than the Koreans would care. All the others would see that Korea lost to Mexico and Netherlands.

that was Korea. Japan could not beat UAE on both legs.

U23+ 3 wild cards.

In any case, Asian Games have become a place for new tests for East Asian teams in the late 90s. So if you dismiss the Olympics for its lack of "full-ness", well, just about all 3 of the top4 Asian Teams didn't send their full national teams anyways. (Saudi Arabia didn't even send a team)

again, it's an argument of whether tying Belgium is harder or winning against the WC98 USA team is harder. You can't just ignore it just because Korea didn't register a win.

I know you're not.

3. "Simply Ken"

"Simply Ken" New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    USA
    Korean Football,

I have said my view already, and you have said yours.

One factual correction though: Olympic <B>qualifying</B> is essentially a 21 and under tournament. (Eligible players this time are only those born before Jan. 1, 1981, last time those born before Jan. 1, 1977). By the time the Olympics start, the age of these players makes them "U23" so-called, and it is only in the main tournament in the Olympics were overage players are allowed.

4. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    well, it's just the "name" they call it I guess.

This year's U-23 team right now should all be 22 or younger this year.

Just as long as the players are U-23 by the time the Olympics starts, it's fine. However, people call it the "U23 team."

5. Zhiger

Zhiger New Member

Sep 14, 2001
    KAZAKHSTAN

01.11.97 Seoul South Korea 0-2 Japan

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Junjun clearly meant that when Korea had not lost a single match when they clinched qualification, rendering all matches thereafter meaningless (at least for Korea). He even mentions the match later in the post:
    Whether or not you agree with his assessment of the match in Seoul, he is correct.

7. Zhiger

Zhiger New Member

Sep 14, 2001
    KAZAKHSTAN
    Apologies to junjun. I clearly overlooked his last sentence.

8. Zhiger

Zhiger New Member

Sep 14, 2001
    KAZAKHSTAN
    It is very difficult to single out one country.

Several different teams had their own spells, like Iran and Kuwait in seventies, South Korea in 90s and in WC 2002, Saudi Arabia in 1994, Japan in the last 5 years or so.

At the moment Uzbekistan is clearly a rising football power in Asia and China's potential is huge.

9. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

haha. i would have to apologize every hour if you had to apologize for something that small.

10. bjk31

bjk31 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    how silly this man is

currently

a korea

b japan

c saudi, kuwait

d china, iraq

e oman, qatar, bahrain, thailand, jordan, uzbekistan, syria, iran

f indonesia, vietnam, palestine, singapore, yemen, lebanon, malaysia, uae

-----------------------------------------
    because lately korea beat japan in japan
    according your thoery.

you are digging thoery's hole yourself.

11. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    welcome aboard. thanks for registering at bs just to reply my post. even if you are sockpuppet or a real newbie, should you have any problem with moderators, please let the master hamatachi know.

12. bjk31

bjk31 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    you are very childish.

many koreans laugh your silly post.

are you 6 years old?

please act like your age.

this post applies to shenhua too.

13. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    Re: you are very childish.

does that change something? "many koreans"? invite them all for another good party.

14. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Korea really hasn't proved that much in the asian stage at senior level, and I agree with the comment that we were always one of the best, but rarely the best. We have good record in world cup qualifiers, but I think it's time to give some more attention to continental titles. We haven't won the asian cup in ages, and even when dynasty cup was going on, we never won that either. This upcoming east asian championships would be a good start to make an impression on the asian stage.

We do, though, dominate in asia in one age group, the under-20's. We won so many countless asian tournaments at that age level (we tied for #1 spot couple of times, but combined I believe we have more than 10 asian titles over last 20-30 years or so). But for our u-20 team, it's time to get things accomplished on the world stage. Fourth place in Mexico was good, but let's try to match what Japan accomplished in 1999.