The best soccer player of all time according to the greatest legends of the sport

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by football_history_fan, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mourinho - "For me the top three players in history are Messi, Pele and Maradona."

2. football_history_fan

Jul 4, 2013
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Thanks for the great info Bada Bing. I wanted in this thread people like Mourinho, he is one of the all time greatest coaches.

3. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    do you have the source for this quote? Interesting find

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ko242 repped this.
  5. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yeah, that Mourinho quote is a real big snub of Cristiano Ronaldo. I completely agree with Mourinho's top three, but we're talking about a guy who was Ronaldo's manager, seemed to have a perfectly good relationship with him, is from the same country as Ronaldo, and is now starting to manage a club that Ronaldo is a legend for. If anyone had reason to place Ronaldo on the same pedestal as Messi, it'd be him. But Mourinho is also an extremely knowledgeable person about football, and he can see what is obvious: Messi is on another level from Ronaldo.

In any case, there's not a whole lot more of interest in that quote. That's pretty much the consensus top three, and he doesn't say which one is his #1.

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unless of course you're one of those people who thinks Mourinho is the ultimate Machiavellian. He said so so that his relative lack of success in Madrid can partly be down to facing one of the best 3 players of all time. If he said CR7 is better or equal to Messi, what's his excuse?

I'd like to think he was just being honest though.

7. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hahahaha, I hadn't thought of that, but that might actually be true

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dude mourinho Is As "Consistent"in his footballing views as Pele
    You think mourinho snubbed Ronaldo by not placing him on par with Maradona/Pele?
    Check this in 2012 mourinho said c.Ronaldo was better then Maradona and Pele
    "For me he(Cristiano)is the best . The best in the world yes . probably the best of all time.i saw Maradona play a couple of times I never saw Pele but Cristiano Ronaldo is the best..."
    http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/2914...8/mourinho-cristiano-ronaldo-is-the-best-ever

like I said don't get overly excited at mourinho calling messi a top 3 all timer especially when he has a history of contradicting himself . He is similar to Pele in this regard one day Messi is the bitw the next Cristiano and then the next neymar is better than both.

9. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Mou was Cronaldo's coach at the time... Now he has no need nor desire to pump his ego up.

lessthanjake repped this.
  10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The excuse I was expecting just not from you.
    so when pep guardiola/enrique call Messi the goat maybe they were only saying it to boost his ego or is this rule only applicable when Ronaldo is praised by his coaches.

I can't be bothered to go round and round in circles but correct me if I'm wrong
    Alex ferguson,mourinho,ancelotti say that Ronaldo is better then Messi, the goat or very close(1-5 all time) but they cannot be trusted because they use to coach Ronaldo and are probably either on his payroll or very far up his backside

Guardiola/enrique+nearly every player who has played for Barcelona call Messi the goat but they can be trusted?
    Is this double standards or am I missing something

11. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There's nothing to miss. No one emphasizes the opinions of Barcelona coaches or players either. There's obvious bias both ways. The difference is that tons of people outside of the Barcelons organization call Messi the best ever, and certainly tons of people call him better than Ronaldo.

KennyDalglish repped this.
  12. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Well, you can make of things whatever you deem prudent and sensible..
    If Guardiola now that he is no longer Messi's coach was saying Pele is the greatest ever... I dunno, that would take strength away from his previous statements.
    I am Argentinian so I cannot be completely unbiased when it comes to Messi, Maradona etc., but I just cant take seriously anybody that claims Messi is not better that Cronaldo. Where do you get the balls, people? ;)

13. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    but his lack of success at Real is because of Messi with Barca too. so i think he's being honest...:D

14. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :laugh: and you posted this "The excuse I was expecting just not from you.."
    about your pos, so here we go The excuse I was expecting from you....:rolleyes:

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    o_O
    I don't mean to be rude but you've completely lost me

16. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Arrigo Sacchi
    Messi is the best in the world today, but not of all time.

"Messi is the best in the world today, but he does not have the personality of Maradona. Diego made a difference in Spain and Italy"
    The best Argentine? "Maradona or Di Stefano. They were the greatest ones. Different, but the greatest. Maradona more talented, Alfredo was everywhere".
    Cronaldo? "Cristiano is an example of professionalism. He does not have the talent of Messi, but he is a great player".

http://www.marca.com/futbol/argentina/2016/07/31/579de814e2704e466f8b45c5.html

robnycus and Jaweirdo repped this.
  17. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Jaweirdo and carlito86 repped this.
  18. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Extended version in as.com
    "Messi is the best of all today, but not the best (Argentine) of all time. Maradona could play everywhere. In Italy they dont play pretty football, perhaps a little better today, but they play very hard football, they make possession real difficult. And yet Maradona made a difference both in Spain and Italy. Nothing could stop Maradona".

http://futbol.as.com/futbol/2016/07/31/primera/1469956330_572618.html

19. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    Paolo Maldini

Who did you suffer with the most to defend?
    "When I was very young we used to play against the Napoli of Maradona and, without a doubt, he is the best of all time. Also Brazilian Ronaldo, another one that in the two years he was at Inter he was unstoppable. Against Messi I was lucky enough not to play against... He was injured when we played Barcelona. I dont know how it would have been to stop Leo because in my time there were moro possibilities to foul".

From MarcaPlus mag seen today in marca.com

http://www.marca.com/marcaplus/

robnycus and giles varley repped this.
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Sorry to break this to you - but Gullit and Van Basten both played at AC Milan against Maradona at Napoli (for a few years.)

21. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    giles varley repped this.
  22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #97 Bada Bing, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    What difference is he talking about? Barcelona finished 2nd before, 4th when Maradona played more, 3rd when he played less, and 1st after he left.

I think he's talking who he's faced here. Maldini has already said Messi has surpassed Maradona.

23. football_history_fan

Jul 4, 2013
    Club:
    Santos FC
  24. jose45

jose45 New Member

Real Madrid
    Apr 25, 2017
  25. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020

The Fontaine quote about Messi is a fake quote generated by Messi fanboys/Barca fans . I am giving you proof . See what barca fans are showing to people , and the original Marca report that day. Fontaine didn't say anything like that :

Inkedfontainefakequotes1_LI.jpg Inkedfontainefakequotes_LI.jpg