The best players of the season 2020/21.

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Trachta10, Sep 16, 2020.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    My general estimation is this (after taking stock and combining it with impressions):

- It would be no surprise to say France is the main favorite. They have high quality players in each line, a good staff and everything that is needed. It's often said about Brazil (when I don't see it that way) but France can truly field two or three teams going for the trophies. But unlike other teams (in the past) there isn't the benefit of a core of players at the same club, and they don't look unbeatable.

- I'd say Portugal is actually second best (even if Ronaldo is seen as liability in some regards). I think the goalkeeper is pretty good and the other lines have quality as well, gave teams as above mentioned France a good test. However, the draw brings down their bookmaker odds and also other things as five substitutions, expanded squads, don't work in their favor. Tournament format with suspensions, fatigue and injuries has a different dynamic (Germany a bit of a bogey team for them; just as we have a poor record against Portugal). Tactically and in game management a strong team.

- Belgium ranks high among the bookmakers (#2 or #3) but they might be a bit past their peak, with defense maybe a bit of a problem (Denayer needs to complement the older legs, it might work, like against England recently). The best window was 2016 and 2018. Absolute horror scenario would be if all of Hazard, De Bruyne and Witsel (who is important enough that he is included despite his injury) cannot properly play. The results have been good however, there are some unsung performers, and the coach + staff is also good. Some of the players as Carrasco and Tielemans have become better if anything (Carrasco more balanced). The goalkeeper remains very good. The staff has been there for five years now. That is a rarity, and even an impossibility for Holland.

- Last year the known analytics firm '21st Club' even ranked Netherlands as the best team, but already then I thought this works out different in a tournament with unknowns as the draw, accommodation andsoforth. This was also with VvD and Koeman around (other defenders are good/excellent, but VvD is a cut above and to me the best player overall - with goal involvement against the likes of Portugal and Germany as well).

On the other hand, if it was played last year then probably Depay wouldn't have been recovered, with Weghorst ignored (a 2nd rate striker but it's good he allows other players to score and has also other smart qualities, covers a lot of ground as well). Depay I think would be very close to a starting place in most Holland generations of players - I can see why he grates some people in the wrong way but I have grown into a fan and believer (apart from total goals and assists, he does create a lot for other players; ranks very high in 'carries'; also does it against the best/better teams; if he can be bothered he is pretty smart and balanced in his game; too bad he didn't play in Europe this year).

The more I've seen now, I think there are glaring holes in the squad selection (and only at the last minute Weghorst was selected!). I think Koeman would have done this with more method, potentially even selecting one second division player (Danjuma Groeneveld - posts 209 - 236 here), and instead/next to De Roon called up Schouten who is wanted now by Milan, Roma and Atalanta. One huge error is the right-back where the best two or three get ignored (the best is probably Karsdorp of AS Roma, with various Roma fans of Twitter mentioning him for 'most surprising' in a positive sense). Talking about errors: all of Depay, F. de Jong and Schouten grew up in the Feyenoord scouting area, were Feyenoord fans as a kid (De Jong slept in a Feyenoord pajama), but chiefly ignored by the club. Big error in hindsight. This area is less gentrified as other 'classic' areas.

Skorenzy repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Gazzetta had as top 100:

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Seri...o-simy-raspadori-maggiore-4101312617125.shtml

Lukaku has an enormously high average grade (though not the rank itself, relative to common perception). Same for De Roon. De Ligt as one of the few Juventus players who actually performed is quite right (Cuadrado, Danilo, Ronaldo most often mentioned too; then Chiesa). Was also the season before their best defensive player, with general contribution rated as such by Gazzetta. Szczęsny looks low at 91 I'm inclined to say, and doesn't match with what DBScalcio shows for Juventus (but does match a bit with this)

Skorenzy and comme repped this.
  3. IceBlood34

IceBlood34 Member

Montpellier HSC
    France
    Jan 27, 2021
    I think you both are right and wrong haha!

I think the two continental competitions this summer (Euro & Copa America) will saddle the 2021 Ballon d'Or winner.
    As I told you above, Lewandowski may be having his best individual season but I'm afraid Poland won't go very far at the Euro, which would be a handicap for him in view of a Ballon d'Or year with an international competition in it.
    That's why I put Mbappé, De Bruyne, Messi ahead of Lewandowski, in terms of the feasibility of winning a trophy with their respective national team at Euro / Copa America.
    And suddenly, the misfortune of some will make the happiness of others, depending on whether it is France or Belgium that wins the Euro.
    And again, there are so many good players in each team that it could disperse the votes: France (Benzema, Kanté, Mbappé), Belgium (Lukaku, De Bruyne, Carrasco)
    Unlike a Messi with the Copa America, where he will be the only star who can claim the Ballon d'Or.
    In addition, if it is a country other than France and Belgium that wins the Euro (excluding Poland) such as England for example, if Messi wins the Copa America it is highly likely that Messi has a avenue for final victory.

4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Talking about this and also the three names who appear in both Sparta and Feyenoord their training teams.

Two of these (El Ghazi and De Roon) were let go by Feyenoord and then moved to Sparta at the age of 12-15. De Roon has been playing at a fairly high level for a while (even though his grade looks at the high end) and El Ghazi is certainly not a world beater (two caps and no call-ups the last six years) but had 10 Premier League goals this season despite competition from captain Grealish for his default position (from which he maybe doesn't score that much, to be fair). Had also some decent spells for other teams before (Lille before his injury), and would be in the circle for most of these training teams I reckon.

My initial reaction was again "that looks bad by the club", but in fairness most stand-out youth products get snatched away by foreign clubs, to never be seen again (for various reasons, including whether they're given priority over their own golden boys). So to let go by Feyenoord, or not scouted at all, might be a saving grace and blessing in disguise.

(In the end those youngsters make the decision themselves and it's perfectly understandable to make these choices - although some blackmailing by 'cartel clubs' sometimes takes place as well, and it has even been on tape)

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

(I don't agree with the firmness of that last sentence by the way)

1392016756231782400 is not a valid tweet id

This illustrates a certain 'cleverness' and minimalism in his play (if he can be bothered). To not overextend.

Dribbles in the Nations League, and vs Poland

SofaScore does give him the #1 rating of the league and he is with Mbappe the only one to be top 10 in both SofaScore/WhoScored for each season since 2017. Mbappe also the only player with a higher combined goals and assists since he entered the league. When given the chance in the CL pretty decent. Well done to come back strong from the ACL injury (not the result of a foul by any means, just an unlucky collission).

I don't think however Barcelona is a good fit. If they need a forward it is one to press (though this suggests he might do that) and/or one with pace behind the opposition defenders. Not someone to drop deep and prepare shots for team mates.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #181 PuckVanHeel, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021

Interesting, even with expanded squads , the best player out, and selection messed up it's still decent.

Well, their 500 million under-21 team wasn't so unbeatable as thought either.

7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  9. IceBlood34

IceBlood34 Member

Montpellier HSC
    France
    Jan 27, 2021
    I would also like to have the opinion of @AD78

I think that everything will be decided during the Copa America and the Euro, as I said previously, I think that even if Kanté won the Euro, if France wins it would be more Mbappé or Benzema who will benefit, the same for Belgium where a guy like Lukaku could take votes from De Bruyne.
    All of this can of course give Messi an advantage, such as the scattering of votes in 2019 with Liverpool, although this is still a different case from 2019.
    But of course he still has to win the Copa America in order to stay in the race.
    For Lewandowski, unless we bring Poland far enough in the competition but also count on the non-victory of the French and Belgians, I do not see it winning (although it should have been largely last year).
    And there are still competitors on the list, like England or Portugal.

So status quo, with Mbappé, De Bruyne in front, followed by Messi, followed by Lewandowski.
    For the rest, it seems to be composed in the top 10 with Kanté, Ruben Dias, Harry Kane, Haaland, Benzema, Lukaku, Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Foden and a few more surprises by then.

AD78 repped this.
  10. IceBlood34

IceBlood34 Member

Montpellier HSC
    France
    Jan 27, 2021
    It's still the first year that I still find that there is no BIG favorite for the final victory from the end of the club season.
    And then as you said, even with a Champions League and a World Cup, Varane was only seventh in 2018..
    So I imagine that Kanté, even if he wins the Euro, will be stolen the spotlight by Mbappé or Benzema.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It's still too early to say on this but there will be a big feeling of sympathy for Lewandowski that he was unfairly treated last year and so I'm sure he will get more votes than he might otherwise.

AD78 repped this.
  12. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Its all getting very interesting now, Kante is bang in the mix re UCL semi and Final performances and Chelsea's win, but if France win would he get it over Mbappe say? Top 5 maybe but that's it unless he is a PoT.

Very sad for KDB re his injury that took him out the final and also now a risk for the Euros when Belgium would be very strong.

Lewandowski in my view needs a run of goals in the event (not managed much before at WC or EC) and no star performer for another big name, it will be interesting to see the legacy vote as I am sure a lot of voters think it should have been held last year.

Messi will be right up there and even more likely of no stand out and he has a decent start, the question is a solitary Copa Del Rey may not be enough and who knows re Copa America, if it will happen, how it will be.

I would still bet on Mbappe, re good season at PSG (not amazing though) and a good showing for a France team if they go far.

Completely agree re the others...Ruben Dias, Harry Kane, Haaland, Benzema, Lukaku, Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Fernandes, Foden, Benzema... and you could through in Mount re a decent tournament too, they will edge further up the ten or lower and outside the top ten re how their team progresses and how they perform.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #188 PuckVanHeel, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    This was very much driven by the regions.

Africa and the Francophonie went for Mane; the middle east with their state controlled media massively for Messi; the German speaking countries went for some outside choices as Lewa and Neuer. If it was only down to Europe (and South America and Asia) though then the outcome would have been different.

Meanwhile, Ruben Dias will suffer much less from vote splitting, domestically. How can that be (sarcasm). If he has a decent/good tournament and a solid remainder of the year it will fare much better in South America and also Africa I'm sure (maybe also the Middle East and Emirates given the obvious links).

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I will try to stay polite; (at least he is not Philipp Lahm in The Guardian who suddenly pretended MvB and Rijkaard weren't pivotal players of Milan - one day the anglogerman history writing alliance will be successful; the money driven media and statistics tweaking brigade will be successful; and two decades later we will hear about how Lahm brought euro2024 home)

I think of the Belgian players only Lukaku is a lock for these attackers. I can see De Bruyne and Courtois in, but just as easily out (same for the other goalkeepers). Goalkeepers are hard to place anyway. Problem is I see a number of players in various categories who are likely not better as the ones who are out. I have a preference for Oblak when it comes to the main job (stopping, organizing); I don't think either Courtois or Neuer were particularly exceptional in the stopping/conceding of goals although in some things fractionally better as Oblak (one vs one; sweeping). I still prefer De Bruyne over many others, and there is only to a limited extent a straightforward comparison possible with Bruno, but don't think it is clear.

He only lists De Jong for Netherlands. I think that makes sense but there are no real locks. It must be added though that his SofaScore/WhoScored rating is brought down a lot by the games he played in defense (it is still as high as Modric which... shows WhoScored is not perfect). He was terrific against Poland (creating goal) and Italy. I wouldn't say the higher placed Barella was as good but on the other hand there are others left out. Given the (typical) previous omissions of De Vrij I'd be inclined to include him somewhere (most notably an inclusion would also make sense for the previous season and the 2014 World Cup). But defenders are not easy to place.

All in all it is not so problematic as his historical players universe. A milky way reality where Cruijff has only one dribbling goal (this is not open to interpretation); Klinsmann is as good as MvB; Neeskens and Rijkaard are mindless runners (what is Matthaus then?); and Krol a particularly hard and tough player, for his time (check his disciplinary record I'd say). Only Koeman, Davids and Bergkamp (and maybe Robben, Seedorf) can get a thumbs up without many negative paragraphs or commentary. If only there would be the same scrutiny for a Guardiola and the likes.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sid Lowe's review

It’s the Sids 2021! The complete review of La Liga’s 2020-21 season | La Liga | The Guardian

Team of the season
    GK: Jan Oblak, Atlético.
    RB: Kieran Trippier, Atlético.
    CB: Stefan Savic, Atlético.
    CB: Jules Koundé, Sevilla.
    LB: Mario Hermoso, Atlético.
    M: Koke, Atlético Madrid.
    M: Marcos Llorente, Atlético.
    AM: Lionel Messi, Barcelona.
    F: Karim Benzema, Real Madrid.
    F: Luis Suárez, Atlético.
    F: Gerard Moreno, Villarreal.

Subs: Carrasco, Correa (Atlético), De Jong, Pedri (Barcelona), Canales (Betis), Galán, Mir (Huesca), Benzema, Modric, Courtois, Kroos, Casemiro (Madrid), Oyarzabal, Isak (Real Sociedad), Aspas, Tapia (Celta), En Nesyri, Navas (Sevilla), Morales (Levante), García (Eibar), Pau, Parejo (Villarreal).

AD78 repped this.
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
  18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just because these things sometimes get deleted:

1. Romelu Lukaku (att. Inter): 6,79

2. Franck Kessie (cen, Milan): 6,45

3. Cristiano Ronaldo (att, Juventus): 6,34

4. Luis Muriel (att, Atalanta): 6,59

5. Nicolò Barella (cen, Inter): 6,52

6. Rodrigo De Paul (cen, Udinese): 6,55

7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (att, Milan): 6.50

8. Lorenzo Insigne (att, Napoli): 6,39

9. Achraf Hakimi (dif, Inter): 6,38

10. Remo Freuler (cen, Atalanta): 6,57

11. Federico Chiesa (cen, Juventus): 6,39

12. Gianluigi Donnarumma (por, Milan): 6,44

13. Lautaro Martinez (att, Inter): 6,43

14. Robin Gosens (dif, Atalanta): 6,45

15. Domenico Berardi (att, Sassuolo): 6,43

16. Dusan Vlahovic (att, Fiorentina): 6,17

17. Ruslan Malinovskyi (cen, Atalanta): 6,37

18. Victor Osimhen (att, Napoli): 6,41

19. Stefan De Vrij (dif, Inter): 6,31

20. Simon Kjaer (dif, Milan): 6,31

21. Juan Cuadrado (dif, Juventus): 6,33

22. Marten De Roon (cen, Atalanta): 6,51

23. Theo Hernandez (dif, Milan): 6:14

24. Henrikh Mkhitaryan (cen, Roma): 6,37

25. Manuel Locatelli (cen, Sassuolo): 6,36

26. Sergej Milinkovic (cen, Lazio): 6,35

27. Cristian Romero (dif, Atalanta): 6,46

28. Simy (att, Crotone): 6,90

29. Hakan Calhanoglu (cen, Milan): 6,14

30. Davide Zappacosta (dif, Genoa): 6,45

31. Ciro Immobile (att, Lazio): 6,23

32. Roberto Soriano (cen, Bologna): 6,35

33. Duvan Zapata (att, Atalanta): 6,25

34. Piotr Zielinski (cen, Napoli): 6,25

35. Milan Skriniar (dif, Inter): 6,28

36. Alessio Cragno (por, Cagliari): 6,36

37. Joaquin Correa (att, Lazio): 5,90

38. Alessandro Bastoni (dif, Inter): 6,12

39. Matthijs De Ligt (dif, Juventus): 6,16

40. Junior Messias (cen, Crotone): 6,40

41. Matteo Pessina (cen, Atalanta): 6,36

42. Jordan Veretout (cen, Roma): 6,25

43. Joao Pedro (att, Cagliari): 6,08

44. Berat Djimsiti (dif, Atalanta): 6,42

45. Lorenzo Pellegrini (cen, Roma): 6,27

46. Mattia Destro (att, Genoa): 6,00

47. Armando Izzo (dif, Torino): 6,36

48. Bram Nuytinck (dif, Udinese): 6,31

49. Giacomo Raspadori (att, Sassuolo): 6,22

50: José Palomino (dif, Atalanta): 6,33

51. Andrea Belotti (att, Torino): 6,32

52. Mattia Zaccagni (cen, Verona): 6,25

53. Davide Calabria (dif, Milan): 6,30

54. Leonardo Spinazzola (dif, Roma): 6,26

55. Diego Demme (cen, Napoli): 6,30

56. Fabio Quagliarella (att, Sampdoria): 6,01

57. Danilo (dif, Juventus): 6,04

58. Fikayo Tomori (dif, Milan): 6,21

59. Giulio Maggiore (cen, Spezia): 6,17

60. Federico Dimarco (dif, Verona): 6,26

61. Hirving Lozano (att, Napoli): 6,29

62. Andrea Consigli (por, Sassuolo): 6,38

63. Weston McKennie (cen, Juventus): 6,14

64. Nahitan Nandez (cen, Cagliari): 6,14

65. Gianluca Mancini (dif, Roma): 6,06

66. Roberto Pereyra (cen, Udinese): 6,16

67. Antonin Barak (cen, Verona): 6,14

68. Matteo Darmian (dif, Inter): 6,18

69. Rolando Mandragora (cen, Udinese): 6,18

70. Felipe Caicedo (att, Lazio): 6,18

71. Hans Hateboer (dif, Atalanta): 6,20

72. Mattia Perin (por, Genoa): 6,23

73. Gleison Bremer (dif, Torino): 6,16

74. Francesco Caputo (att, Sassuolo): 5,89

75. Kalidou Koulibaly (dif, Napoli): 6.12

76. Luis Alberto (cen, Lazio): 6,12

77. Mikkel Damsgaard (cen, Sampdoria): 5,98

78. M'Bala Nzola (att, Spezia): 6,00

79. Ante Rebic (att, Milan): 6,09

80. Borja Mayoral (att, Roma): 5,93

81. Adam Ounas (att, Crotone): 6,13

82. Jerdy Schouten (cen, Bologna): 6,10

83. Antonio Candreva (cen, Sampdoria): 5,98

84. Gianluca Scamacca (att, Genoa): 6,11

85. Eldor Shomurodov (att, Genoa): 5,94

86. Rick Karsdorp (dif, Roma): 5,95

87. Samir Handanovic (por, Inter): 6,00

88. Giorgio Chiellini (dif, Juventus): 6,10

89. Marcelo Brozovic (cen, Inter): 6,03

90. Christian Eriksen (cen, Inter): 6,02

91. Wojciech Szczęsny (por, Juventus): 6,3\

92. Hernani (cen, Parma): 5.80

93. Gianluca Lapadula (att, Benevento): 5,92

94. Dries Mertens (att, Napoli): 6,09

95. Franck Ribery (att, Fiorentina): 6,08

96. Matteo Politano (att, Napoli): 6,09

97. Milan Badelj (cen, Genoa): 6,12

98. Emil Audero (por, Sampdoria): 6,32

99. Gonzalo Villar (cen, Roma): 5,92

100. Tommaso Pobega (cen, Spezia): 5,84

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Get German Football's Players of the Season

Goalkeeper: Neuer; Ortega, Kobel, Casteels

RB: Baku; Mukiele, Pavard, Trimmel

LB: Angelino; Guerreiro, Sosa, Gunter

CB: Lacroix; Hummels, Orban, Friedrich

CM1: Kimmich; Bellingham, Sabitzer, Arnold

CM2: Goretzka; Olmo, Endo, Baumgartner

AM: Muller; Sancho, Wamangituka, Grifo

ST: Lewandowski; Haaland, Silva, Weghorst

Titanlux repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Add possibly Dumfries to this. Not wanted by Feyenoord, playing at an amateurclub with a cooperation scheme in place.
    https://sporza.be/nl/2021/06/18/nie...met-denzel-dumfries-van-oranje~1623999421637/

Another candidate and nomination for 'poorest article of the year':

https://theathletic.com/2659454/202...r-had-at-liverpool?source=user-shared-article

Typically there is the phrase "not a good Holland generation", but the same idea was there in 2014 when only two players were seen as good by the British media machines.

This creates all sorts of self-fullfilling prophecies, time delays in recognition (and delays in club progression), media snowballing and double handicaps.

At least there is now the realization that he wasn't the poorest midfielder of the three at Liverpool. Playing every game is not down to luck.

(There are also some other problems with the article, like that there are actually good alternatives for the attacking midfielder position even though some are injured or not available now)

21. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re current position and the Euro performances, Mbappe has surely probably blown it following the exit and zero goals and way of his best.

KDB despite limited minutes has been excellent and is right in the mix but it could change of Belgium go out against Italy, else a big favourite still.

A lot will depend for Messi re Copa America, a win for Argentina and finally an international trophy will likely seal it.

Lewandowski did pretty well, and left on a personal high note despite Poland leaving and given there may be no clear star of he may get as we discussed before the legacy vote re last year missing and the fact he had a fantastic Bundesliga season and decent enough Euro.

Other players we discussed..... Kante has probably stayed where he is and in no danger of winning it, Ronaldo has jumped up in my view re 5 goals but no way near enough to win. Benzema cements a top ten spot I believe, and Lukaku is solid and could go higher depending on how far Belgium go, likely top 5 max. Fernandes limited game time and not great performance will have worked against him and also Dias will have moved down re Portugal conceding a lot of goals. Kane has been awful in my view and was playing himself out of the top ten but he got a yesterday and things could change.

Other players coming into the mix, Sterling did not have a great season but has been scoring, I do not actually feel he has been that good but just getting on the score sheet. If Italy go all the way the likes of Bonucci could come into the mix and same re Schick for Czech. No others jump out re being real stand outs at the moment but I am sure I have missed a few.

IceBlood34 and comme repped this.
  22. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    Messi top scorer and assistant in the Copa America, as in the Spanish league. Undoubtedly at 34 he is still among the 5 best footballers in the world

23. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kane has gone from zero to hero and is now the UK bookmakers second favourite for the Ballon D'or, whilst in my view not realistic challenger he is possibly cementing a top ten re last two games and could rise higher re tonight and a possible fina.

Also re top ten, Jorginho, Bonucci and Chiellini are coming into the mix. I do not think any of the Italian attackers worth a notable mention (yet!) as the odd good game but not overly consistent.

Messi is continuing his form in the Copa America and is now becoming a clear favourite.

24. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    #199 victorcalello38, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    TEAM A
    Ederson
    Walker Stones Días Shaw
    Jorginho DeBruyne
    Mbappe Messi Foden
    Lewandowski